US East Northern VA / MD Monthly Meetups

• HTML tutorial

Nootherids

Rank V

Influencer II

@Nootherids , let me know how it works out programming with the cable. You using Chirp?
Hey, I just finished programming both radios using the cable, the CHIRP software, and this list of frequencies (which is basically EVERYTHING for use on a worst case scenario)...

https://radiofreeq.wordpress.com/2013/11/05/program-your-vhf-uhf-transceivers-for-disaster-preparedness-with-frs-gmrs-pmr-murs-business-weather-marine-ham-channel-frequencies/

It was a bit nerve racking at first not wanting to brick my new radios and all, but it turned out to be pretty darn straight forward since you can also change most of the menu settings using CHIRP. Was able to change the Power On messages and screen colors so I know which radio is mine and which is my son's. Can monitor both bands simultaneously (set A on a GMRS channel and B on an FRS channel, no privacy codes). I also changed it to display channel names instead of actual long number frequencies. Unfortunately I can't configure the PTT to act as a single which was one of the features I was interested in. :-( Overall feeling pretty comfortable with it. Eventually I'll figure out how to use some nearby repeaters I found.

Nomadik Nova

Rank VI
Staff member

Member III

Falmouth, MA, USA
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Nova
Member #

Hey, I just finished programming both radios using the cable, the CHIRP software, and this list of frequencies (which is basically EVERYTHING for use on a worst case scenario)...

https://radiofreeq.wordpress.com/2013/11/05/program-your-vhf-uhf-transceivers-for-disaster-preparedness-with-frs-gmrs-pmr-murs-business-weather-marine-ham-channel-frequencies/

It was a bit nerve racking at first not wanting to brick my new radios and all, but it turned out to be pretty darn straight forward since you can also change most of the menu settings using CHIRP. Was able to change the Power On messages and screen colors so I know which radio is mine and which is my son's. Can monitor both bands simultaneously (set A on a GMRS channel and B on an FRS channel, no privacy codes). I also changed it to display channel names instead of actual long number frequencies. Unfortunately I can't configure the PTT to act as a single which was one of the features I was interested in. :-( Overall feeling pretty comfortable with it. Eventually I'll figure out how to use some nearby repeaters I found.
Interested to hear from you and @sabjku on how this went and how you like your radios tomorrow morning.

JRElaxED

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Alexandria, Va
Member #

Adam, thanks for putting that together. My Jeep family we were outmanned 8-2, come on fellas. ;-)

I didn’t get a chance to talk to everyone about the trip we are putting together next weekend (Sat-Sun). Heading up to Front Royal area and exploring some fire roads, state roads, gravel roads camping in GW national forest and hitting Peters Mill on Sunday. This is a 3 day weekend, so it makes it a bit easier. I’ll have full itinerary by Wednesday, but we will make a stop at a local brewery up there. Will make a rally point this week.

Four of us started a group DMV nomads to get out and explore what Virginia and local states have to offer. We are not really into hardcore wheeling, but more of adventure travel, camping and developing a tight knit group of Nomads.

We love using overland bound as a tool, but understand posts get missed and you get busy. We are trying to get and contact list started to make sure the people that are interested get the news. I’m not going to fill the thread up with every trip we do, because they get carried away. I will always create a rally point and contact guys on the list. If this is something you are interested in, email me, or call me. Please include your name, email, cell (I’ll text), your rig, Instagram (if you have), location (city).
I’m Jon Reed, 571-332-8351, hdcdaddy@yahoo, Alexandria, jrelaxed on Instagram, Jku.
Please send your info either my cell, email or message me. I don’t want to gum up this thread.

Sorry for the long message, look forward to meeting everyone soon. Oh I do work nights, so I don’t always respond right away.

Adventure is Necessary [emoji903][emoji91][emoji268][emoji554]️[emoji901]

geekyadam

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Mead, CO, USA
First Name
Adam
Last Name
Wright
Member #

Adam, thanks for putting that together. My Jeep family we were outmanned 8-2, come on fellas. ;-)

I didn’t get a chance to talk to everyone about the trip we are putting together next weekend (Sat-Sun). Heading up to Front Royal area and exploring some fire roads, state roads, gravel roads camping in GW national forest and hitting Peters Mill on Sunday. This is a 3 day weekend, so it makes it a bit easier. I’ll have full itinerary by Wednesday, but we will make a stop at a local brewery up there. Will make a rally point this week.

Four of us started a group DMV nomads to get out and explore what Virginia and local states have to offer. We are not really into hardcore wheeling, but more of adventure travel, camping and developing a tight knit group of Nomads.

We love using overland bound as a tool, but understand posts get missed and you get busy. We are trying to get and contact list started to make sure the people that are interested get the news. I’m not going to fill the thread up with every trip we do, because they get carried away. I will always create a rally point and contact guys on the list. If this is something you are interested in, email me, or call me. Please include your name, email, cell (I’ll text), your rig, Instagram (if you have), location (city).
I’m Jon Reed, 571-332-8351, hdcdaddy@yahoo, Alexandria, jrelaxed on Instagram, Jku.
Please send your info either my cell, email or message me. I don’t want to gum up this thread.

Sorry for the long message, look forward to meeting everyone soon. Oh I do work nights, so I don’t always respond right away.

Adventure is Necessary [emoji903][emoji91][emoji268][emoji554]️[emoji901]
I'll need to put some time in on the house this year, so I can't make all the trips probably, but if still like to know when they are so I can join if I'm available.

sabjku

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Alexandria, VA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Beh
Member #

I’m out. Cabin camping with the family for the long weekend. Plus I just broke my ankle and jumping up into a raised truck is a bit of a challenge.
Bummer! Family time at the cabin sounds nice though! You break it at Snowshoe??