Launch Member

Traveler III

Alexandria, VA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Beh
Member #

I just got a pair of Baofengs too. The programming cable just arrived in the mail. Gonna configure them this week and test them out with my son skiing at Snowshoe this weekend. From experience FRS radios are pretty shitty at ski resorts. Hoping for a big improvement.
I just got a Baofeng as well, one of the FCC approved 8watt radios. I manually programmed mine before heading out on the New Years Trip last weekend. It worked flawlessly on trails and roads where 20 vehicles would be over a mile apart in wooded, rolling terrain. Many people had your standard FRS radios/walkie talkies, and had issues. I was in the back communicating with the lead vehicle and he said I was crystal clear, as he was as well.

I have a Uniden CB as well. The Baofeng 8watt was only $38 on Amazon and performs way better. Doesn’t get much cheaper than that for reliable comms, so I’d say go that route over CB.

sabjku

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Alexandria, VA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Beh
Member #

I just got a pair of Baofengs too. The programming cable just arrived in the mail. Gonna configure them this week and test them out with my son skiing at Snowshoe this weekend. From experience FRS radios are pretty shitty at ski resorts. Hoping for a big improvement.
@Nootherids , let me know how it works out programming with the cable. You using Chirp?

Nootherids

Rank V

Influencer II

@Nootherids , let me know how it works out programming with the cable. You using Chirp?
I saved a guide video on YouTube with a full list of the frequencies to program for GMRS and FRS which is all I care about so that’s what I’m gonna follow. Haven’t had a chance to get on it yet but I’ll let you know when I do, either tomorrow or Wednesday hopefully.

And yeah, I got the 8 watt versions too. The range is very useful, but my main interest is the clarity. I have such a hard time understanding any radio comms clearly so the increased power will definitely help.

geekyadam

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Mead, CO, USA
First Name
Adam
Last Name
Wright
Member #

@DRJ and I are planning to go to Overland bound East in March. It's in New Jersey so going to be about 4 hours on the road.
Would like to do something before then but got a lot to do first half of the year. Still need to set up that monthly local byobreakfast Meetup too. It was a very busy holiday season for us and I'm looking forward to things slowing back down hopefully soon.

Nomadik Nova

Rank VI
Staff member

Member III

Falmouth, MA, USA
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Nova
Member #

I just got a Baofeng as well, one of the FCC approved 8watt radios. I manually programmed mine before heading out on the New Years Trip last weekend. It worked flawlessly on trails and roads where 20 vehicles would be over a mile apart in wooded, rolling terrain. Many people had your standard FRS radios/walkie talkies, and had issues. I was in the back communicating with the lead vehicle and he said I was crystal clear, as he was as well.

I have a Uniden CB as well. The Baofeng 8watt was only $38 on Amazon and performs way better. Doesn’t get much cheaper than that for reliable comms, so I’d say go that route over CB.
You got a link to that Baofeng @sabjku?

Reactions: sabjku

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
I just got a Baofeng as well, one of the FCC approved 8watt radios.
Baofeng radios are only FCC type accepted for Business Class (except their GMRS radio) and 8W exceeds the power limits for GMRS and FRS on most channels:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Family_Radio_Service

You'll need the GMRS license to use the higher power on the upper channels. It's $75 for 10 years and covers your entire household.

sabjku

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Alexandria, VA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Beh
Member #

Baofeng radios are only FCC type accepted for Business Class (except their GMRS radio) and 8W exceeds the power limits for GMRS and FRS on most channels:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Family_Radio_Service

You'll need the GMRS license to use the higher power on the upper channels. It's $75 for 10 years and covers your entire household.
Yep, got the license right when I got the radio[emoji106]. It was fast!

Reactions: TerryD

geekyadam

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Mead, CO, USA
First Name
Adam
Last Name
Wright
Member #

Anyone want to meet this Saturday morning early for byobreakfast? Would be really early like 7am. My intention for this recurring meetup idea is that it doesn't impede other plans for your day.

geekyadam

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Mead, CO, USA
First Name
Adam
Last Name
Wright
Member #

Also, suggest we meet at a local restaurant versus BYOB. Less preparation and planning. I have previously coordinated a monthly breakfast for another car club at the City Grill in Manassas. Lots of parking.
Part of the reason for the meetup was to sort of replicate waking up camping. That early morning awesome feeling cooking breakfast outdoors.
Maybe we meet near a fast food place so you could grab togo and come back outside...