US East Northern VA / MD Monthly Meetups

• HTML tutorial

JRElaxED

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Alexandria, Va
Member #

Wow, 7am on a Sunday, I’ve heard about it, never seen it. ;-).
I do like the idea of meeting up and cooking breakfast. Sharing recipes and checking out rigs, and sharing stories. Perfect world I’d say 9am to account for travel and meet at a park. @sabjku and I have tested out new cooking ideas at Mason Neck, but lots of other wooded parks.
IMO the difference between us and car shows/clubs is that it’s about getting to a spot and making camp. Less about the rig and more using the rig to get to the spot very few people can get to.
All that being said, you pick the spot and 99% chance I’ll be there. I love meeting new people and learning what they know. Never once met a bad person in this community.

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
I think it's a great idea! I'd love to join in, but I'm not close enough for it to be anything but a weekend trip.

Maybe this spring you can do it again and I'll be able to head up and join in! I love cooking breakfast at camp. Even if it's just oatmeal and some sausage, it's still the best.

Reactions: JRElaxED

geekyadam

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Mead, CO, USA
First Name
Adam
Last Name
Wright
Member #

Wow, 7am on a Sunday, I’ve heard about it, never seen it. ;-).
I do like the idea of meeting up and cooking breakfast. Sharing recipes and checking out rigs, and sharing stories. Perfect world I’d say 9am to account for travel and meet at a park. @sabjku and I have tested out new cooking ideas at Mason Neck, but lots of other wooded parks.
IMO the difference between us and car shows/clubs is that it’s about getting to a spot and making camp. Less about the rig and more using the rig to get to the spot very few people can get to.
All that being said, you pick the spot and 99% chance I’ll be there. I love meeting new people and learning what they know. Never once met a bad person in this community.
Saturday, not Sunday.
Also I was modeling it like a "coffee and rigs Meetup" so I was thinking in a parking lot or something. Need to confirm a location...

geekyadam

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Mead, CO, USA
First Name
Adam
Last Name
Wright
Member #

Can everyone spit out there town/city location so I can try to find a place in the middle.

geekyadam

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Mead, CO, USA
First Name
Adam
Last Name
Wright
Member #

Sounds like Alexandria is a poppin overlander locale...

Anyone opposed to Springfield? Looks like that's a good area. I heard the K-Mart there is closing so maybe we could use the employee parking area behind it or something. I'm going to head up early to scout around to confirm a spot. The perfect place would be somewhere with a large parking lot that isn't open until 10AM or so. I'm open to alternative ideas, throw em at me.

JRElaxED

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Alexandria, Va
Member #

Lots of Alexandria guys, very cool.
If we do get together, a few of us have put together a group/club called the DMV Nomads. We really want to put a emphasis on adventure travel and camping. One of the guys made some sweet stickers, so we are official ;-). Love to get some input from everyone on what they’d like to see in this idea and what they are interested in doing.
We’ve been a part of some real cool trips lately and have picked up ideas from others. It would be great to get this local and head to different states as a group.

sabjku

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Alexandria, VA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Beh
Member #

Sounds like Alexandria is a poppin overlander locale...

Anyone opposed to Springfield? Looks like that's a good area. I heard the K-Mart there is closing so maybe we could use the employee parking area behind it or something. I'm going to head up early to scout around to confirm a spot. The perfect place would be somewhere with a large parking lot that isn't open until 10AM or so. I'm open to alternative ideas, throw em at me.
Springfield Mall would be good.......meet up over near where the Silver Diner is....parking lot is huge, plenty of room, and right off 95/Franconia Rd..

Reactions: geekyadam

geekyadam

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Mead, CO, USA
First Name
Adam
Last Name
Wright
Member #

Oh crap guys, it's supposed to be 25° Saturday morning. Damn. Maybe we should meet somewhere we can go inside I guess... What's good for breakfast in that area?

Reactions: sabjku