US East Northern VA / MD Monthly Meetups

• HTML tutorial

AG Sheep

Rank IV

Traveler I

Maryland
What is everyone looking in terms of overall time to complete the trip? Ideas on trails? Overland Expo West is May 18th till the 20th.

Nootherids

Rank V

Influencer II

Hey guys! I'm new to the forum altogether and might as well say that I'm new to off-roading as well. I live in Woodbridge, VA and would really like to go out on the trails but I'm smart enough to not go out on my own. So I'm excited for the opportunity to meet wheeling partners and more experienced people. Here's my main dilemma though. I have a '13 Toyota Tundra Rock Warrior with a simple 3" Lift and 35's. I've taken the truck to The Cove before before the lift and tires and the truck is beastly, but it's also HUGE! Doesn't exactly fit through Jeep Trails. So I need a guide that can tell me where to and where not to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: geekyadam

Nootherids

Rank V

Influencer II

On another note... Since it's my 2nd post in these boards I don't think I can post links. So, I'm going to the Appalachian Toyota Roundup at the end of August and was wondering if anybody else is going too. Would be tons more fun with some company. Link below, if it gets blocked just google it. Registration ends at the end of this month btw.

http://www.appalachiantoyotaroundup.org/index.htm

DRJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Springfield, VA
Member #

Hey guys! I'm new to the forum altogether and might as well say that I'm new to off-roading as well. I live in Woodbridge, VA and would really like to go out on the trails but I'm smart enough to not go out on my own. So I'm excited for the opportunity to meet wheeling partners and more experienced people. Here's my main dilemma though. I have a '13 Toyota Tundra Rock Warrior with a simple 3" Lift and 35's. I've taken the truck to The Cove before before the lift and tires and the truck is beastly, but it's also HUGE! Doesn't exactly fit through Jeep Trails. So I need a guide that can tell me where to and where not to go.

Welcome to the forum!

Reactions: Nootherids

DRJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Springfield, VA
Member #

On another note... Since it's my 2nd post in these boards I don't think I can post links. So, I'm going to the Appalachian Toyota Roundup at the end of August and was wondering if anybody else is going too. Would be tons more fun with some company. Link below, if it gets blocked just google it. Registration ends at the end of this month btw.

http://www.appalachiantoyotaroundup.org/index.htm

I am checking out the site now. I am relatively new to the off road scene myself. I've gone out to Green Ridge in MD and Flagpole & Meadown Knob in VA. I may sign up for this and let you know.

Nootherids

Rank V

Influencer II

I am checking out the site now. I am relatively new to the off road scene myself. I've gone out to Green Ridge in MD and Flagpole & Meadown Knob in VA. I may sign up for this and let you know.
Yeah brotha let me know. I see you're in Springfield like 15 min from me and with a Taco. So depending on our on road driving styles we could caravan. ;)

Keep in mind, every person in the car pays a pretty hefty fee in my opinion. I was gonna bring my family but the passenger fees and even kids fees are excessive. So I'll be going solo for now and maybe bring them next year.

Exped4x4

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Manassas VA
Member #

Yeah brotha let me know. I see you're in Springfield like 15 min from me and with a Taco. So depending on our on road driving styles we could caravan. ;)

Keep in mind, every person in the car pays a pretty hefty fee in my opinion. I was gonna bring my family but the passenger fees and even kids fees are excessive. So I'll be going solo for now and maybe bring them next year.

Hey man! Welcome, glad to have you on board! We're planning a trip to the cove for next month, I have an F150 on 35s, so I'm familiar with the size issue amd can guide you dowm some suitable trails. If youd like, I'm happy to meet up with you locally for a meet and greet and can show you some nearby trails that'll tolerate your behemoth, just let me know!

Cheers,
-Mike

FJ60pete

Rank 0

Traveler I

Alexandria VA
Member #

I wish I had found this thread earlier! I'm in Alexandria close to Clifton and always interested in a meet up. I will look out for the next opportunity.

Reactions: Exped4x4

DRJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Springfield, VA
Member #

Nootherids. I won't be able to make it to the Toyota event over the Labor Day weekend. I definitely will need to go next year and check out the other Toyotas and vendors.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: Nootherids

Exped4x4

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Manassas VA
Member #

I wish I had found this thread earlier! I'm in Alexandria close to Clifton and always interested in a meet up. I will look out for the next opportunity.
Welcome aboard! We have a good group of guys on here and look forward to meering you! Looks lile the third weekend in Augist is going to be a trip to the cove in Gore, VA. I think i may have a littlw meet and greet set up in Clifton prior to the trip for thw newcomers. How does that sound?

Cheers:
Mike

DRJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Springfield, VA
Member #

Welcome aboard! We have a good group of guys on here and look forward to meering you! Looks lile the third weekend in Augist is going to be a trip to the cove in Gore, VA. I think i may have a littlw meet and greet set up in Clifton prior to the trip for thw newcomers. How does that sound?

Cheers:
Mike
I'm down for the 3rd weekend of August.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: Exped4x4

geekyadam

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Mead, CO, USA
First Name
Adam
Last Name
Wright
Member #

Hello fellow northern Virginians! Just joined forums recently and just found this thread. Been looking for other local enthusiasts to meet up with!

QUICK BIO:
Gf and I grew up in country towns in northwest PA and western NY. We just bought our [first] house in Woodbridge (right near Lowe's on Smoketown) July 2016 so been there about a year, but rented in Woodbridge (up off of Old Bridge Rd) for 3 years before that. We love camping with our dog (no kids yet) and our normal go-to spot is Prince William Forest Park. Nice enough place, cheap, and great trails for hiking which we're also fans of, but no truck trails etc.

QUICK TRUCK INFO:
Just got my 2017 Tacoma Sport DCSBMT couple months back and been itching to get it dirty. Possibly an issue; it's still entirely stock. I grew up driving 4x4s and I'm great with the stick, but I am a little concerned about the stock tires...might be spinning awhile before I get traction, but still want to see what the truck can do. Also, its the Sport, not the Off-road, so no locking rear diff...also its a manual, so no crawl control or ATRAC. I do admit, I'm definitely still in "my new baby" phase with my Tacoma, so I'm scared to do serious mods to her still, even just a lift, for fear of something breaking and the warranty not covering it because of my mods. I know I know, I need to just jump in the deep end and I'm sure I'll be fine. But to be fair, this is the first time I've ever bought a brand new vehicle, so cut me some slack! I knew I wanted a Tacoma, and even the nicer used 2nd gens were asking like $7K less than asking price for brand new one! So I bought new and got exactly the model and options I wanted with all the bells and whistles (went to Miller Toyota in Manassas and had it ordered because no one carries sticks anymore). First things I want to get are some KO2 tires and a couple inches of lift, nothing crazy. Just waiting on approval from the boss (gf) to buy that. After that, probably new bumpers so that when one of the terrible terrible terrible NOVA drivers inevitably rear-ends me while I'm shifting, my bumper will win. I opened a thread discussion about my plans for overlanding with my rig.

So you guys cool with a newbie joining up? Haven't been offroading since I had an old jacked up Ford Ranger on our farm up in PA back in like 2008 I think? Just like riding a bicycle, right? ;)

Hey guys! I'm new to the forum altogether and might as well say that I'm new to off-roading as well. I live in Woodbridge, VA and would really like to go out on the trails but I'm smart enough to not go out on my own. So I'm excited for the opportunity to meet wheeling partners and more experienced people. ...
We should meetup for coffee or a beer sometime! I'm friendly with the owners of Heroic Aleworks brewery, but Growling Bear brewery is good too.

...Looks lile the third weekend in Augist is going to be a trip to the cove in Gore, VA. I think i may have a littlw meet and greet set up in Clifton prior to the trip for thw newcomers. How does that sound?
I'm down for the trip to The Cove later in August, and the sooner meetup in Clifton as well (assuming both can be done with a stock 4x4 Tacoma?).

Also if anyone is interested, I am registered for the Mid-Atlantic Overland Festival (from Aug 10-13 @Huntingdon, PA). It's just over a 3 hour drive from the DMV area.
Think I'm going to register for this!

Reactions: Exped4x4 and DRJ

DRJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Springfield, VA
Member #

Welcome to the forum geekyadam! I also drive a 3rd gen Tacoma (off-road) and have pretty much been in your shoes for the past year. Like yourself, I have to work within my budget to keep the significant other (in my case my wife) happy while I pursue this hobby. I've been doing running these trails on my stock truck as well. Aside from a CB radio and a differential breather mod, I am also still stock. I'm fairly new to OHV driving and have only been on a few trails around the area.

I have my sliders ordered from a local fabricator and will hopefully get that mounted soon. Let me know if you end up registering for the Mid-Atlantic Overland Festival!

geekyadam

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Mead, CO, USA
First Name
Adam
Last Name
Wright
Member #

Welcome to the forum geekyadam! I also drive a 3rd gen Tacoma (off-road) and have pretty much been in your shoes for the past year. Like yourself, I have to work within my budget to keep the significant other (in my case my wife) happy while I pursue this hobby. I've been doing running these trails on my stock truck as well. Aside from a CB radio and a differential breather mod, I am also still stock. I'm fairly new to OHV driving and have only been on a few trails around the area.

I have my sliders ordered from a local fabricator and will hopefully get that mounted soon. Let me know if you end up registering for the Mid-Atlantic Overland Festival!
Nice! Although I admit that locking rear diff would be nice. ;) When it came down to it, I decided that the very small amount of times that I might need a locking rear diff didn't outweigh the visual/cosmetic features of the Sport model (I'm a sucker for a looker). In a perfect world, I'd have gotten the Pro model, but I don't feel like a 2" Fox lift is worth the extra $8K price tag. I do need to get a radio in my truck also. Was thinking about just mounting my Boafeng handheld for time being, but def want a more permanent radio setup in there.