Launch Member

Influencer II

Methuen, MA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
BRV
Member #

We decided to pull some of Maryland in with the Northern VA meetups for the time being, as there are only a few out there and they appear to be closer to where that meetup will likely be than they are to Eastern MD. That, said, it could all change in the blink of an eye as we get things going and this all gets worked out.

How many of y'all are north of Fredericksburg VA? You are the folks we are targeting for this monthly meetup. I don't have a date or location picked for this yet but those will come soon. Right now I want to get a feel for how many folks are interested and where you are all located.

**As of right now I am working on this one alone. I would love to get someone from the area to jump in and be the boots on the ground or even take over completely. If you are interested let me know.

I've posted below the basic vision for what this all can look like. You may have seen it or parts of it in another thread I posted for the northeast. I'm not going to reinvent the wheel so I've copied it here below.

What is a meetup? It's whatever you make it. Most of the time its meeting at a local bar, coffee shop or restaurant to sit down and chat about everything under the sun. Sometimes it's a Saturday picnic at a park to get the whole family out and meet other adventurous families. Sometimes everyone is busy and a month gets skipped. But at its core it is a very casual way to meet other folks in the community, form friendships and build relationships with others who share the adventurous spirit of Overland Bound. This causes greater participation in the larger OB sponsored events and member led events because the barrier of not knowing folks is gone and you just want to have fun with the friends you already have and the ones you know you will make.

Last edited by a moderator:

Wolvee

ᕕ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡° ) ︻デ═一 pew pew
Staff member
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

Member #

I'm down in Williamsburg and up for a meet.

MA_Trooper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Methuen, MA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
BRV
Member #

So... @Exped4x4 has been working on on this for a bit and there has already been one meetup. So I am going to turn this over to him and let him run with it.
Thanks @Exped4x4 for volunteering your time and knowledge to take this on. I'm excited to see this gain some traction!

Exped4x4

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Manassas VA
Member #

Thank ya Chris!

That beong said, there will be a meetup in Clifton VA this Sunday (Apr 23) at 11am. There is a great cafe, irish pub, and some nearby trails if y'all wanna get a little technical later. Happy to answer any questions!

-Mike

O2BTXN

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Manassas, VA
Member #

Thank ya Chris!

That beong said, there will be a meetup in Clifton VA this Sunday (Apr 23) at 11am. There is a great cafe, irish pub, and some nearby trails if y'all wanna get a little technical later. Happy to answer any questions!

-Mike
So glad there's a local meet up in our area! Wish I had stumbled upon this yesterday, not hours after today's meet up! The hubby and I are looking forward to meeting new folks. We'll keep a lookout for future dates.

Reactions: Exped4x4

Exped4x4

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Manassas VA
Member #

Awesome meetuo today with a couple local guys and fellow OB members. Coffee, brews, food, and trails. Awesome Sunday. Lookin forward to seein yall there next month!tmp_18008-20170423_151721429382310.jpg tmp_18008-20170423_151721429382310.jpg tmp_18008-20170423_1509231061325585.jpg tmp_18008-20170423_145158186923941.jpg tmp_18008-20170423_144801733869028.jpg tmp_18008-20170423_143335672028550.jpg tmp_18008-20170423_1430331306204995.jpg

Attachments

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
Looks like a fun ride! I need to find some more trails like that in my area. Hopefully if the meet-up takes off down here some of the guys can show me some.

AG Sheep

Rank IV

Traveler I

Maryland
I am up in Waldorf. Always looking to meet some more people to go out with. Probably will not be able to make a Sunday meet do to work.

Exped4x4

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Manassas VA
Member #

Ok y'all.
So for one of the meetups in the near future, I'm thinkin it'll be Scavenger hunt style. The actual meetup will be at the finish line, there will be prizes. Only a handful of checkpoints, within 10 miles of the finish. I will go into more detail later, but are y'all in?!

AG Sheep

Rank IV

Traveler I

Maryland
What would be the guidelines? Like utilization of a map or a GPS? Dependent on how it's done and the terrain it's done on then it could be a good time.

Escher

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Washington, DC, USA
Member #

I'm in DC, so sandwiched between MD and NoVa. Just joined the forum, and hope to catch up with local members eventually.

I run a MY06 Subaru Forester with a 1" lift, HD springs, and all-terrain tires. So mostly interested in established trails, rather than hardcore off-roading. That said, as long as we bring a tow strap, I'm happy to push boundaries. :wink:

AG Sheep

Rank IV

Traveler I

Maryland
I'm in DC, so sandwiched between MD and NoVa. Just joined the forum, and hope to catch up with local members eventually.

I run a MY06 Subaru Forester with a 1" lift, HD springs, and all-terrain tires. So mostly interested in established trails, rather than hardcore off-roading. That said, as long as we bring a tow strap, I'm happy to push boundaries. :wink:
I am close to you. Bout 20 min away.

Reactions: Escher