Launch Member

Traveler III

Alexandria, VA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Beh
Member #

Ok, so I tried for a good half hour to try and create a rally point, but it keeps trying to take me to facebook when I publish. Seeing as how I don't have a facebook account, I am posting it here in the good old MD/VA thread! I'm planning to drive out to Assateague Island for a day trip. Never done any beach driving, so it will be a first! The details are below:

Day drive at the beach, lunch, hang out, go home (or if you plan to camp, please feel free to make reservations at nearby campgrounds). Maryland side of the island allows pets.

On the Maryland side, a permit must be purchased at the ranger station, or you can call ahead and get it in advance via mail. I plan on calling them tomorrow and will try to get the permit in advance since there is still time.

The phone number is (410) 641-3030 for an application

Assateague Island Visitors center:
11800 Marsh View Ln, Berlin, MD 21811
https://goo.gl/maps/isH5Rn2K2d72

Assateague Island National Seashore Ranger Station:
Bayberry Dr, Berlin, MD 21811
https://goo.gl/maps/iSYZw736sZ82
Opens at 9am

Also check out their site for additional information regarding OSV permits, vehicle/recovery/gear requirements and driving on the beach:
https://www.nps.gov/asis/planyourvisit/osv.htm
http://www.assateagueisland.com/island_i...travel.htm

The plan is to meet at the visitor center and head over to the ranger station by the time it opens @9:00am so that those who have not purchased a permit can obtain one.

I will be on CB channel 16 for those with a radio. Hope to see some people there!
I'd be totally down for that. I'd probably want to make a weekend out of it since it's a 3hr drive, so camp out as well. Are you definitely just doing a day trip and coming back?

Reactions: Nomadik Nova

DRJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Springfield, VA
Member #

I checked the campsites availability. There is currently 2 oceanside sites remaining for larger parties. There is a 7 person minimum and 10 vehicles maximum for an oceanside group site. I'm not quite sure if the vehicles are allowed directly on the site or if they have designated parking for it and you can walk to it. I'm going to give them a call later when they open. In any case, I need to know who is all definites before being able to reserve a group site. Otherwise, we'll have to reserve individual sites or 2 vehicle sites.

Who is all interested? @sabjku @bubbles05?

Hafaday

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Richmond, VA.
Member #

I am a maybe... 4+ hrs one way.

Have been wanting to check out the Wallops flight center for years.

Might try and combine both.

Reactions: DRJ

DRJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Springfield, VA
Member #

Ok so an update. I just called the ranger station and got more information. The links to their websites that I included in my original post is pretty out of date. They stopped doing advance permits via phone/mail and only allow you to purchase the permits from the ranger station. There is also a maximum of ~140 vehicles that they allow at any given time on the OSV (beach driving), so it's first come first serve. Although she mentioned that in March, it shouldn't really be an issue.

Additionally, I asked about the camping. The oceanside campsites are not drive-in. There are sites that are very close to your vehicle, but you will still have to walk at least 20 yards to get to your site, so for those that camp out of their vehicles (which is pretty much most of us) the drive-in sites are your only option.

The drive-in sites are close to the beach, but not on it. And there is a 2 vehicle maximum for each site. We can try to reserve ones close to one another, but we'd have to coordinate. I'm probably going to reserve a site by tomorrow at the latest through recreation.gov, so if you are sure you are camping overnight, then let me know and I can split my site with someone.

DRJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Springfield, VA
Member #

I would love to be in for this but it’s both my daughter’s birthday and I’ll be arriving down in Florida that day. So I have to pass, again. :(
No worries man! There will be plenty more trips coming up with Spring just around the corner. Enjoy your time with your family.

Reactions: Nootherids

ncd1284

Rank 0

Traveler I

Richmond, VA
First Name
Nathan
Last Name
Dodd
That's the weekend of my 10 year anniversary, so I'm a no go.

We went camping on Chincoteague Island last summer and it was a blast! Assateague is on the to-do list, so maybe a summer trip could be arranged.

DRJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Springfield, VA
Member #

That's the weekend of my 10 year anniversary, so I'm a no go.

We went camping on Chincoteague Island last summer and it was a blast! Assateague is on the to-do list, so maybe a summer trip could be arranged.
Happy early anniversary! Summer weather would be ideal for the beach, but I really dread that summer beach traffic.

Reactions: ncd1284

JRElaxED

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Alexandria, Va
Member #

I checked the campsites availability. There is currently 2 oceanside sites remaining for larger parties. There is a 7 person minimum and 10 vehicles maximum for an oceanside group site. I'm not quite sure if the vehicles are allowed directly on the site or if they have designated parking for it and you can walk to it. I'm going to give them a call later when they open. In any case, I need to know who is all definites before being able to reserve a group site. Otherwise, we'll have to reserve individual sites or 2 vehicle sites.

Who is all interested? @sabjku @bubbles05?
Definitely interested

bubbles05

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Kailua, HI, USA
First Name
Page
Last Name
Payne
Member #

Definitely interested
Def interested as well. I'll coordinate with the wife tonight. I can easily tent camp in lieu of RTT. Also, I travel with my 4 year old son who us adept at camping, but if that's not cool for this group I get it.