Launch Member

Member III

Haymarket, Virginia, USA
First Name
NICHOLAS
Last Name
Roozen
Member #

Selling the commander only room for one off-roader and the rubicon gets to stay.

Specter

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Northern VA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Pukish
Member #

Went for a short drive in the rig today. I saw Brock behind me, 100RNR passing me and Jeremiah in his yard on his other 4X4...his tractor. It’s the closest I’ve been to hanging out with friends in a very long time!! Great to see everyone even it is was in passing or in my rear view.

Uberland

Rank VII

Influencer I

Springfield, VA, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Brown
Member #

We’re looking for a two- or three-night trip over Halloween weekend...we’ve been sorely inactive during CoVID (and on this site, sadly).

What’s been shaking in NoVA overlanding of late?

100RNR

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Fredericksburg, VA, USA
First Name
E
Last Name
R
Member #

Went for a short drive in the rig today. I saw Brock behind me, 100RNR passing me and Jeremiah in his yard on his other 4X4...his tractor. It’s the closest I’ve been to hanging out with friends in a very long time!! Great to see everyone even it is was in passing or in my rear view.
Always good to see you and that decked rig of yours.

Reactions: Specter and cgflyer

cgflyer

US East Region Member Rep, MD
Investor

Enthusiast III

Lorton, VA, USA
First Name
Steven
Last Name
McCullough
Member #

Service Branch
USCG Retired
Looks like this thread has been quiet for a bit and I thought I would check in. Not sure if I will make it happen or not, but planning on trying to do Peter's Mill on Saturday morning. No camping, just running the trail if it is open. My last try in January found the trail closed. This will be my first time (might get my brother in law to come) but really just trying to get the Jeep badge and do something other than just work on the house.

Zarddog

Rank III

Enthusiast II

Kent Island, MD, USA
First Name
Curt
Last Name
James
Member #

We decided to pull some of Maryland in with the Northern VA meetups for the time being, as there are only a few out there and they appear to be closer to where that meetup will likely be than they are to Eastern MD. That, said, it could all change in the blink of an eye as we get things going and this all gets worked out.

How many of y'all are north of Fredericksburg VA? You are the folks we are targeting for this monthly meetup. I don't have a date or location picked for this yet but those will come soon. Right now I want to get a feel for how many folks are interested and where you are all located.

**As of right now I am working on this one alone. I would love to get someone from the area to jump in and be the boots on the ground or even take over completely. If you are interested let me know.

I've posted below the basic vision for what this all can look like. You may have seen it or parts of it in another thread I posted for the northeast. I'm not going to reinvent the wheel so I've copied it here below.

What is a meetup? It's whatever you make it. Most of the time its meeting at a local bar, coffee shop or restaurant to sit down and chat about everything under the sun. Sometimes it's a Saturday picnic at a park to get the whole family out and meet other adventurous families. Sometimes everyone is busy and a month gets skipped. But at its core it is a very casual way to meet other folks in the community, form friendships and build relationships with others who share the adventurous spirit of Overland Bound. This causes greater participation in the larger OB sponsored events and member led events because the barrier of not knowing folks is gone and you just want to have fun with the friends you already have and the ones you know you will make.

Zarddog

Rank III

Enthusiast II

Kent Island, MD, USA
First Name
Curt
Last Name
James
Member #

I’m new to overland bound I’m on the Eastern Shore of Md just south of the Bay Bridge on Kent Island. I would definitely be up for joining in for a meetup no problem with Northern Va or Western Md. As long as I’m not on the road for work.

cgflyer

Investor

Enthusiast III

Lorton, VA, USA
First Name
Steven
Last Name
McCullough
Member #

Service Branch
USCG Retired
I'm North of Fredericksburg in Lorton, I know there are a few around me that are active, but a lot of very silent OB members too...when you look at the map, there are a lot of members, but not many are active on here. I had a meet up at my house last year and got 3 members out...we just sat around the fire pit and hung out. It was a nice introduction for me as a new member...I've since been promoted to a Regional Rep haha (for Maryland!)...Unfortunately for me, COVID has not resulted in telework and free time and I have been pressed hard to find free weekends to plan anything but my fire pit is always free and I have a ton of parking. I'm even looking into making my own ax throwing target and eventually a bocce ball court...not really overlanding specific, but it does provide a social gathering outdoors and some may have to overland to get to me haha...I am planning a two month excursion on the TAT starting end of April and hopefully will have an opportunity to put in a few miles between now and then. I'm waiting on a new Chinese knockoff of the iKamper Skycamp RTT...thought I would try my hand at importing (Torro Offroad, Tuff Stuff and one other company I know of are all importing the same Chinese knockoffs and selling at $2100+++). I should get mine through customs and duties and customs broker fees below $1500 with an awning. If I like it, I might try importing more...10+ and the per item price comes down a bit.

Anyway, got off topic a bit. As one of the Regional Reps for Maryland and I'd say technically for NOVA too, I'll try my best to at least invite everyone over for drinks and dogs around the fire soon, but still trying to sneak off to Peter's Mill tomorrow morning...unfortunately for Zarddog, that's about 3-3.5 hours from you

Zarddog

Rank III

Enthusiast II

Kent Island, MD, USA
First Name
Curt
Last Name
James
Member #

I am a heavy equipment field tech averaging around 900 miles a week. In fact I've recently been involved in some work on the solar farm around Locust Grove Va. I've actually worked in the Lorton Area a few years ago. Sometimes my perception of driving distance can be a bit different than someone that drives less than that. That being said there are a lot of times I get home ay the end of the week and the last thing I want to do is get behind the wheel of anything including my lawn tractor. If anyone were looking to plan a meet up at a micro brewery etc. there are a few here on "THE SHORE" (as the ESMD locals like to refer to the DelMarVa peninsula). Not exactly a hot bed of 4 wheeling and off roading but there are some neat ideas like beach driving on Assateague National sea shore. I generally avoid going anywhere other than to head back home to Pa. during beach season for obvious reasons. I just put a Tuff Stuff rack on my new 2020 GMC Sierra working toward a RTT so that might be something for me to stay posted on.
Thanks for your response

Reactions: cgflyer

cgflyer

Investor

Enthusiast III

Lorton, VA, USA
First Name
Steven
Last Name
McCullough
Member #

Service Branch
USCG Retired
I am a heavy equipment field tech averaging around 900 miles a week. In fact I've recently been involved in some work on the solar farm around Locust Grove Va. I've actually worked in the Lorton Area a few years ago. Sometimes my perception of driving distance can be a bit different than someone that drives less than that. That being said there are a lot of times I get home ay the end of the week and the last thing I want to do is get behind the wheel of anything including my lawn tractor. If anyone were looking to plan a meet up at a micro brewery etc. there are a few here on "THE SHORE" (as the ESMD locals like to refer to the DelMarVa peninsula). Not exactly a hot bed of 4 wheeling and off roading but there are some neat ideas like beach driving on Assateague National sea shore. I generally avoid going anywhere other than to head back home to Pa. during beach season for obvious reasons. I just put a Tuff Stuff rack on my new 2020 GMC Sierra working toward a RTT so that might be something for me to stay posted on.
Thanks for your response
Absolutely! I like Assateague too and have my pass good through next September. Getting a little cool out, but I actually think they allow fires on the beach. At least in some areas. I grew up in Hagerstown, MD and went to college in Southern MD so kinda a local still.

Makit Worx

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Germany
First Name
Ron
Last Name
Crowther
Member #

I'm heading out to GWNF this weekend for a little dispersed camping along FSR 66. Will camp Friday & Saturday nights and do Peter's Mill Run Saturday since I haven't done it in awhile. Anyone is welcome to join, both camping and/or Peter's Mill. Just need to replace my torn axle boot, but will have the axle pulled today and installed by tomorrow. I plan to head out from Alexandria, VA early Friday to get a good camping spot.