New Trailer Project: Range Runner

• HTML tutorial

ArkansasDon

Rank V
Launch Member

Member I

finished 2\3rd's of the electrical. This part of the build is slow & tedious, to make it right plus making it as clean looking as possible. A very simple, reliable safe electrical is what I done on the 1st trailer & I'll follow suit on this one. Finished up on connecting the solar 30amp Charge Controller, positive & negative out going, positive & negative power, battery temperature sensor, & the battery monitor read sensor. Also ran the left outside side exterior LED light wires inside the wood colored wiring chase & ran the inside 12v. socket outlet too.

These wires along with 4 other runs I'm going to run them inside metal conduit underneath the trailer chassis & up inside the tongue box.

I'll order the battery Monday, be the same battery I use in my 1st trailer build VMax Tank AGM 125ah, solar will be the same Renogy. In stead of the NOCO 10amp on-board charger I used in my 1st build, I'm going with a Powermax 55amp power converter charger.
003.JPG003.JPG005.JPG007.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: Captain Chaos

ArkansasDon

Rank V
Launch Member

Member I

little more work on the electrical. The wiring chase I found & ordered matches the interior wood color. I believe I'll have this rolling down the trail next month.
what is left to do,
1. swing out spare tire mount
2. install 2 awnings
3. run trailer light wiring
4. Sally's nesting "interior bedding, curtains"
5. install 55amp Powermax Converter Charger
6. install battery, battery hold down bracket & run battery cables
006.JPG002.JPG009.JPG005.JPG

PCO6

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Newmarket, Ontario
First Name
Stew
Last Name
Beatty
Member #

Looking good! Regarding your battery/power box, do you plan to vent it? I see the white tube on the driver's side but I think that's for your solar system. Some say a vent is needed and others say no. I'm working on mine now and so far it's "no". We spend time sealing everything to keep water out. I'm sure some vents are better than others but … it's still a hole! lol. I'm using a sealed deep cycle battery so I think I'm OK.

Regarding cables, I just picked up a set of 4g jumper cables for my last trailer. I cut off the ends and crimped on some lugs. It worked well.

ArkansasDon

Rank V
Launch Member

Member I

i didnt vent my 1st trailer build tongue box & I am doing with this tongue box w\o venting. 2 1\2yrs of use never had any issues. I had a battery temperature sensor wired in the 30 amp charge controller in the 1st trailers tongue box which adjust charge voltage based on actual battery temperature & I installed the same exact battery sensor in this new project. I usually leave the lid open while camping.

PCO6

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Newmarket, Ontario
First Name
Stew
Last Name
Beatty
Member #

Thanks … that's good to know. I'll look into a temperature sensor. Like you, I tend to keep my box open while camping too.

Reactions: ArkansasDon

ArkansasDon

Rank V
Launch Member

Member I

Nice work Don. I'm trying to decide if and when I will get an offload trailer. Why the runaway. What do you think of the Weeroll and what options did you get.

Thanks
I looked at WeeRoll, there built well , looked at Hiker I was impressed with them also, I settled with Runaway because I like the trailer measurements: 6ft. W x 8ft. L x 4ft.H. I watch the video on how they were built (I was impressed) I felt it was a good platform for me to do the work "I" wanted to do & what the wife & I were shooting for as of a offroad trailer. They are well built, solid little trailer, polyvinyl undercoated floor, Runaways Triple-Seal Cabin Construction provides maximum weather resistance, 3500lb. Rated Dexter RV Axle w/Easy Lube Hubs, 5,000 btu A/C with Marine Grade Vinyl Cover. The Range Runner comes standard with right & left side entry doors, Rear Accessory Hitch.

Reactions: yak51

yak51

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Diego
Member #

I looked at WeeRoll, there built well , looked at Hiker I was impressed with them also, I settled with Runaway because I like the trailer measurements: 6ft. W x 8ft. L x 4ft.H. I watch the video on how they were built (I was impressed) I felt it was a good platform for me to do the work "I" wanted to do & what the wife & I were shooting for as of a offroad trailer. They are well built, solid little trailer, polyvinyl undercoated floor, Runaways Triple-Seal Cabin Construction provides maximum weather resistance, 3500lb. Rated Dexter RV Axle w/Easy Lube Hubs, 5,000 btu A/C with Marine Grade Vinyl Cover. The Range Runner comes standard with right & left side entry doors, Rear Accessory Hitch.

Thanks Don! Enjoy the Runaway!
Tim

ArkansasDon

Rank V
Launch Member

Member I

fitting the swing spare tire mount. A little modification to the upright. I have exactly 5" between the rear of the spare tire & the rear storage door. The wife spent part of the day nesting. Added another shut off switch for the solar system, this way I'll have one for the 12v. electrical & the other for solar system. All is left is install the left side awning, run the wiring for the trailer lights & the wife finishes her nesting. All of our camping gear fit's into the rear storage area with room to spare.
001.JPG003.JPG007.JPG010.JPG012.JPG014.JPG006.JPG012.JPG002.JPG013.JPG005.JPG

Last edited:

yak51

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Diego
Member #

Thanks Don! Enjoy the Runaway!
Tim

Are those electric brakes Don? I have considered experience with electric brakes and was wondering are they going to be to prone to grabbing. Yet, when I go to Colorado I would like to have them for the steep passes. My Tacoma brakes leave something to be desired.

jeepers29

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Georgetown, TX, USA
Member #

Are those electric brakes Don? I have considered experience with electric brakes and was wondering are they going to be to prone to grabbing. Yet, when I go to Colorado I would like to have them for the steep passes. My Tacoma brakes leave something to be desired.
You should be using your gears much more than your brakes when coming down mountain passes. In our jeep, pulling a 1000# teardrop, rarely do I need to use the brakes for more than a second or 2 . I have even told if you are using them more than 5-10 seconds per minute, you are using them too much.

yak51

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Diego
Member #

Thanks for the input.

Yes Capt. I can't think of a time when I would want a surge brake.

Jeepers29: I have an automatic trans and since my experience with the grades I do gear down always now.

Thanks for the help.

jeepers29

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Georgetown, TX, USA
Member #

Thanks for the input.

Yes Capt. I can't think of a time when I would want a surge brake.

Jeepers29: I have an automatic trans and since my experience with the grades I do gear down always now.

Thanks for the help.
Great wasn't trying to be condescending, just trying to help. Hope it came across that way.