New Trailer Project: Range Runner

• HTML tutorial

ArkansasDon

Rank V
Launch Member

Member I

Yes, I sized them up already, they look to fit good. I want good coverage & clearance of the tire but still have about 5" of upper clearance. The tire size is 235x75Rx15" which only 29" x 8" & if they are a bit too long nothing what a band saw with metal blade & some low tack tape to removed what is need to. I also do not want mud slung up the sides of the trailer.
011.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: Jeremiah Johnson

James Deaton

Rank V

Pathfinder I

Makes sense. I have those same fenders here that I need to return from my build. I really considered using them for their practicality and functionality, but ended up going with the round fenders because I just like the way they looked a little better, and the trailer is so low I don’t plan to be standing on the fenders. Would make a nice little table top though.

James

PCO6

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Newmarket, Ontario
First Name
Stew
Last Name
Beatty
Member #

Nice work Don. You've found the best way to keep busy while you're no doubt anxiously waiting to pick up your trailer.

I like your shop but have to ask ... what's up with the 2 blast cabinets? I can't keep 1 going. Also, I like how you used hemostatic clamps in your powder coating oven. I'm building an oven out of an old file cabinet and will add clamps to my tool kit for it.

ArkansasDon

Rank V
Launch Member

Member I

thanks PC06, the trailer will be ready for pick up next week. I sold my business & semi retired month & half ago. I used to put on custom firearm finishes for 2 decades & different substrates need different types of media for prep. 1 has 120 grit oxide media the other has #8 government spec glass beads media. I still use them both.

We run pretty much National Forest Dirt Rds & logging rds on National Forest Land were their is some suspension travel, but nothing major or radical. I do not want to mud slung up the sides of this trailer.
My last trailer I built I felt I removed too much length off the fenders & it slings mud all the way back to the rear awning.
What I'm looking at in the 1st photo is center point of the tire where the center of the axle is, then add about 5" more of to the bottom of the chassis from the height gained by flipping the axle. These are only estimate figures of course.

I appreciate your input James.
011.JPG45767214_1924210364294495_1882812537561415680_n.jpg

PCO6

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Newmarket, Ontario
First Name
Stew
Last Name
Beatty
Member #

thanks PC06, the trailer will be ready for pick up next week. I sold my business & semi retired month & half ago. I used to put on custom firearm finishes for 2 decades & different substrates need different types of media for prep. 1 has 120 grit oxide media the other has #8 government spec glass beads media. I still use them both.

We run pretty much National Forest Dirt Rds & logging rds on National Forest Land were their is some suspension travel, but nothing major or radical. I do not want to mud slung up the sides of this trailer.
My last trailer I built I felt I removed too much length off the fenders & it slings mud all the way back to the rear awning.
What I'm looking at in the 1st photo is center point of the tire where the center of the axle is, then add about 5" more of to the bottom of the chassis from the height gained by flipping the axle. These are only estimate figures of course.

I appreciate your input James.
View attachment 92193View attachment 92194
That makes sense. I spend more time than I like to switching from one media to another.

We're on a similar time frame. I'm picking up a new trailer on Monday (Clipper Express 9.0td). It's no where near off road ready but it will be fun to upgrade it. Unlike you, I haven't done anything yet! lol I plan to build it along the lines of the one in my signature below.

Good luck with yours!

Reactions: ArkansasDon

ArkansasDon

Rank V
Launch Member

Member I

Got my tires mounted on the rim's (3 of them), They are the same style & size rims I used on my last build, these tires are 235x75R15 General Grabbers ATXs, just 2 sizes taller than I put on my current camping trailer which were 215x75Rx15" General Grabber AT2.
Runaway Campers called today, my trailer is finished. Monday leaving for Florida to pick it up. Then the real work will begin.
002.JPG003.JPG005.JPG

Jeremiah Johnson

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Dallas, OR, USA
Member #

thanks, this project will be a quailty. I'll be selling the Dinoot after I finish. The reason will be I know in time our age (60's & late 50's) with current offroad camping trailer one of us will have difficulty climbing up or down the ladder in or out of the roof top tent. This way I'll have a head start & another completed offroad trailer ready so we can continue to dispersed camping.

I'm 37 the Wife tells me and I can definitely see the merit in eliminating the ladder from the equation. You definitely have an eye for detail, thanks for sharing the build.

ArkansasDon

Rank V
Launch Member

Member I

just about finished the suspension work on the new offroad camping trailer. All is left is adding the shock kit to the suspension.
This trailer has 23" of chassis ground clearance, 14" of axle to ground clearance. The new tires & wheels look great. The tires are 235x75Rx15" General Grabber ATX, rims are U.S. Wheel 8 spoke steel 15"x8" 5 on 4.5 I had powdered coated black.
Next is removing the original fenders & adding the jeep style fenders I painted white to match the trailer. Then the new tongue, tons of fabricating work adding a 2" thick wall back bone & 2" receiver hitch were the Lock n Roll articulating coupler hitch., more bracing & 3\16" deck on top.
015.JPG003.JPG005.JPG009.JPG002.JPG019.JPG020.JPG021.JPG

PCO6

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Newmarket, Ontario
First Name
Stew
Last Name
Beatty
Member #

Don ... you've got to slow down man. You're making the rest of us look bad! lol

Seriously, that's looking great. The tongue box is perfect at that size and in those colours. Do you plan to have propane, water, gas, etc. storage behind it and under the A/C? I think you said you're fabricating a swing out tire rack for it so I guess the tire will go out back vs. on the tongue.

Keep up the great work ... and keep us posted.

Reactions: Graeman

ArkansasDon

Rank V
Launch Member

Member I

More work on project offroad Runaway Ranger Runner, finished up the suspension. The shock hangers are all bolted & welded in place, the shocks are on. Thanks Scott Chaney of Compact Camping Concepts for the shocks & mounting kit. This will help to manage the axle spring movement & providing a smoother ride on those dirt roads & trails Sally Turner Mullis & I like to travel & camp.
I also mounted the 2 12v. LED blue courtesy lights.
001.JPG005.JPG006.JPG019.JPG021.JPG023.JPG033.JPG009.JPG008.JPG028.JPG018.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: Jeremiah Johnson