New Trailer Project: Range Runner

• HTML tutorial

ArkansasDon

Rank V
Launch Member

Member I

I have to say after owning this trailer new & many times crawling underneath, in & out of the sleeper the construction is solid & the trailer is well made. I feel these are good candidates for offroad conversions with some fabrication required. I went to the extreme with the tongue, in all retrospect I could of removed the original weld on coupler & jack, leaving the A frame of the tongue in place, installed a 2" backbone added a few triangular plates & 2" receiver & be done with. It would of been more than enough. Since this his my last "hurrah" I decided to go with a much more beefier all new tongue w\ 2 1\2" tubing w\ plated deck.

The one thing about Runaway is & I like about them is the owners do not mind what you do with the campers. Matter of fact they encourage their buyer's to customize them to fit their personalities. The interiors can be order with a bare bones zero interior, or you can add on what ever options they offer. I order ours with no interior, a roof rack & a 40"x40" rear door, & no graphics.

They offer cash discounts if you pay with cash or check in full after you order, factory pricing discount if you drive to Florida to pick it up @ their plant when you order it. Another selling feature to "us" was they seem to be the only ones who offer a 6ft. wide sleeper with that wide wheel base foot print. I originally wanted a Hiker, but the turn around time was a year, I liked WeeRoll, & Vintage Trailer Works too, but Runaway sold me on a few of the things they do. Price has nothing to do with it at all , as you can see what I've been doing to this Range Runner. I figure I'll have about 10,000.00 into it when I am finished this includes the cost of the camper. The exterior is just about finished with exception of the (2) AT Overland Scepter Water Can Holders w\ 2 Scepter Water Cans & the (2) Tuff Stuff 4x4 6 1\2ft. x 8 ft. Awnings & their Awning shelter. Then I'll start on the interior, after that then all the electrical, solar system in the tongue box.

IMO you can not go wrong with tried and true reliable solid axle w\leafs. If I wanted a belly dragger then I would of went with axle less suspension with slid plates though out the underneath. I have 23" of ground clearance from the bottom of the chassis to the ground, 14" of axle clearance to the ground, shocks on the trailer, for me, that is plenty for what the wife & I need for our travels. Over-all I am liking how it is coming out.
003.JPG014.JPG

Last edited:

eredinger

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Roseville California
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Redinger
Member #

I have yet to order my Range Runner. I'm still trying to decide on the 4x8 or 6x8. I like how the 4x8 will sit behind my 4Runner with less worries about turning and side swiping stuff. I also plan on taking down some narrow roads ( trees and brush) Which the narrower camper will help.. But I worry about the space inside being to closed in for me. I'd get the rear door also so I can open it up for a more open feeling if needed. On the other hand the 4X8 will push you out of the camper and to enjoy more of the outdoors....which is the point right? This would also fit in my garage and not need to sit outside on the side of the house.

The 6x8 - Love the room. Currently it will just be me and my small dog....but some day who knows. The 6X8 would allow me to pack more gear (Which most of it I'm sure I would rarely use),and be inside when maybe I wouldn't with the smaller unit. It will also require some type of cover as it will be outside the garage. But oh the extra room....lol

Uggg...the decisions.....

Reactions: ArkansasDon

PCO6

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Newmarket, Ontario
First Name
Stew
Last Name
Beatty
Member #

I have to say after owning this trailer new & many times crawling underneath, in & out of the sleeper the construction is solid & the trailer is well made. I feel these are good candidates for offroad conversions with some fabrication required. I went to the extreme with the tongue, in all retrospect I could of removed the original weld on coupler & jack, leaving the A frame of the tongue in place, installed a 2" backbone added a few triangular plates & 2" receiver & be done with. It would of been more than enough. Since this his my last "hurrah" I decided to go with a much more beefier all new tongue w\ 2 1\2" tubing w\ plated deck.

The one thing about Runaway is & I like about them is the owners do not mind what you do with the campers. Matter of fact they encourage their buyer's to customize them to fit their personalities. The interiors can be order with a bare bones zero interior, or you can add on what ever options they offer. I order ours with no interior, a roof rack & a 40"x40" rear door, & no graphics.

They offer cash discounts if you pay with cash or check in full after you order, factory pricing discount if you drive to Florida to pick it up @ their plant when you order it. Another selling feature to "us" was they seem to be the only ones who offer a 6ft. wide sleeper with that wide wheel base foot print. I originally wanted a Hiker, but the turn around time was a year, I liked WeeRoll, & Vintage Trailer Works too, but Runaway sold me on a few of the things they do. Price has nothing to do with it at all , as you can see what I've been doing to this Range Runner. I figure I'll have about 10,000.00 into it when I am finished this includes the cost of the camper. The exterior is just about finished with exception of the (2) AT Overland Scepter Water Can Holders w\ 2 Scepter Water Cans & the (2) Tuff Stuff 4x4 6 1\2ft. x 8 ft. Awnings & their Awning shelter. Then I'll start on the interior, after that then all the electrical, solar system in the tongue box.

IMO you can not go wrong with tried and true reliable solid axle w\leafs. If I wanted a belly dragger then I would of went with axle less suspension with slid plates though out the underneath. I have 23" of ground clearance from the bottom of the chassis to the ground, 14" of axle clearance to the ground, shocks on the trailer, for me, that is plenty for what the wife & I need for our travels. Over-all I am liking how it is coming out.
View attachment 97595View attachment 97596
I like Runaway's attitude regarding you making modifications to "your" trailer. I bought a trailer a month ago (not a Runaway). Every time I talked to the dealership before I bought it and since they've emphasized the 1 yr. warranty and that I'm on my own if I modify it. They admit that that's "within reason". If I change out the axle and that lights stop working they'll cover that. If I drill a hole in the roof at the front and it starts to leak at the rear I think they'll say I caused it! I've made some basic mods and I plan to use it a few times before I really get into changes. At some point I'll say … "forget the warranty".

Yours is looking great!

ArkansasDon

Rank V
Launch Member

Member I

Runaway offers a one warranty also. I lost my warranty soon as I removed parts, wiring from the trailer & when I cut off the tongue...LOL & fabricated a new one. The warranty doesn't matter to me. The Rugged Ridge Hi Lift Jack Mount & the Rotopax Mount I pumped caulking behind the bolts & installed gaskets behind the mounts. I'm sure they will not leak.

My attitude on this is........if I'm careful & think things through before I do something, it usually goes well when I make the changes. I want the trailer to reflex me & the wife outside as well as the interior. I want this trailer going down the Hwy being different from all the other Runaway Range Runners.

When I start on the interior (next month) I will be adding a dividing wall from the sleeping area & the rear storage so I will have to drill holes through the 3\4" floor out the rubber membrane underneath same as the metal roof to install the aluminum 1 1\2" angle metal. But on the roof I'll caulk inside the hole & once the pan head machine screws, washers & nuts are tight I'll go over them with a self leveling RV lap caulking (Dicor 501LSW Self-Leveling Lap Sealant) the underneath the floor I'll use the Flex Seal Rubber Sealant as well as the caulking inside the holes I drill. The Dicor Lap Sealant is what they use for roof vents & roof seams on RV's. Plus when I store the trailer it will be inside the same shop building it is now, which is out of the weather elements.

Reactions: Jeremiah Johnson

PCO6

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Newmarket, Ontario
First Name
Stew
Last Name
Beatty
Member #

You're right. If you have the skills, tools, time, space, etc. you can usually make the changes you want, not just to reflect your needs and preferences, but also in a much better way than the factory did. In fairness, their motivation is to make a good product and to make a profit. Ours is a bit different … and we work for free! I think I'm going to lose my warranty soon too! lol

I'm looking forward to seeing the interior changes.

ArkansasDon

Rank V
Launch Member

Member I

I just retired this year (March 2019) so I do have the free time. I miss the gun industry (my business custom shop) & sold all the equipment to 2 different shops, so I have the room too since my business was on my farm.
Personally if a individual has a need to make the changes on his manufactured trailer, IMO it's no different than making changes to a Jeep, SUV, Truck with all the after-market parts. We do these things because we want it to be better than stock, fit our needs & wants & it reflects our personality what we enjoy doing. Runaway has a fan club on Facebook, I signed up and saw what some folks were doing to their Runaway Campers as of modifications. So I posted pictures of what I was doing (much more as major changes) & you thought I committed a major sin or crime. Some of the members came at me with vengeance thinking I ruined the trailer. But I had to think these are people have the street versions who put micro waves, raised platform beds & trinkets all over the insides do not understand what overlanding offroad off grid camping is. Some of these people do not want to understand what we do & why we do the things we do when comes to overlanding & adventure trailers. We live in a society that is badly divided by every thing in life their is. My son & his family own a 2018 30ft travel trailer & went to make reservations @ a RV park in Florida they asked for pictures sent via email of the trailer, truck, what year both were, if there were kids. Needless to say my son found another park to go. Could you picture a overlander showing up to a park like that, jacked vehicle & small pull behind offroad teardrop style trailer LOL! We are self-reliant offroad adventure travelers that have a goal to travel to remote destinations where our journey is unseen by many.

Last edited:

ArkansasDon

Rank V
Launch Member

Member I

this morning done more work on my project Offroad Camper. The Rotopax 2 gal. Fuel Pack came in today. This fuel pack will hold gas for the 2500w inverter generator.
I also started on the interior back wall separating the sleeping quarters from the rear storage area. This will be constructed of aluminum angle metal the sheeted over with 3\4" cabinet grade Birch Plywood. The upper shelf will be a 14" x 70 1\2" shelf constructed of the same plywood & a non slip surface added.
The end of this month I'll list the my other offroad trailer I built up for sale. (last photo) We decided to go with the Williard Tri Fold Queen Mattress.
017.JPG020.JPG001.JPG002.JPG007.JPG013.JPG014.JPG45767214_1924210364294495_1882812537561415680_n.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Captain Chaos

ArkansasDon

Rank V
Launch Member

Member I

more work done on project Offroad Runaway Range Runner camper. Got the dividing wall & shelf in between the sleeping area & the rear storage finished. Used cabinet grade birch 3\4" plywood, glued & screwed. Filled the joint with fiberglass stran auto body filler.
I'll feather sand the body filler, prime with oil base enamel primer, & Sally & I will wallpaper the wall & trim it out
004.JPG005.JPG006.JPG008.JPG009.JPG012.JPG018.JPG

Reactions: Captain Chaos

eredinger

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Roseville California
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Redinger
Member #

Looking great! Thanks for posting how you did the back storage area. I'm going to do the same, just didn't know how. I ordered my RangeRunner last week so your build is helping the time pass until t in my driveway.

How deep did you go from the back door to the new diving wall?

ArkansasDon

Rank V
Launch Member

Member I

just finished the wallpaper on the back wall. I installed the trim pieces & had to tint the cabinet lacquer to match the existing walls.
My new 20L Scepter Water Cans came in today as well as the Scepter Water Can holder. I think this will work with the Scepter water spigot. I'm tired & smell like cabinet lacquer, I need a beer, a shower and some supper.
010.JPG009.JPG012.JPG013.JPG

Last edited: