Todd
Last Name
Hoffmaster
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7CRJ
Service Branch
Air Force
This thread has been good read. I recently got my GMRS license and an MXT275. Are any of you guys running dedicated power to the radio during install or just using the 12v socket that comes with it? I intended on running it's own power line for mine but couldn't find anything to suggest what size fuse to go with.
I used to use the 12v socket and now it is on dedicated power. I think I have a 10amp going to it. I used whatever the one in the socket is holding.

DzrtShamrock

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder III

Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA
First Name
Kyle
Last Name
Betts
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KF0AWV
I used to use the 12v socket and now it is on dedicated power. I think I have a 10amp going to it. I used whatever the one in the socket is holding.
Sound logic. I have MOLLE racks in the back of my rig as well as some 12v outlets I ran back there years ago and haven't used. The outlets are each rated/fused/wired for 10amps, so I'll remove one of them and repurpose the wiring for the radio. My plan was to install the radio back there and then run CAT6 cable up to a panel-mount RJ45 jack in the center console.

Reactions: Graeman

DanW

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Danville, Indiana
Member #

This thread has been good read. I recently got my GMRS license and an MXT275. Are any of you guys running dedicated power to the radio during install or just using the 12v socket that comes with it? I intended on running it's own power line for mine but couldn't find anything to suggest what size fuse to go with.
I'm on the 12v for now, but will ultimately power it directly.

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
Just received a E-mail from Midland. It seems they have released some new GMRS accessories on their web-page. One of the things is a new 6dB antenna that has a 'spring' whip now for better durability. I just bought their now older style in early December.

The new one looks like this:
1579141371480.png The cost went up from $34.99 to $39.99. They also have released a power control, a new style lip mount, along with mounting brackets for JEEP, and TOYOTA-4 Runners and Tacoma's.logo.png

13XSPX

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Brunswick, GA, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Hughes
Member #

I picked up a Midland MXT400 with 6db Gain Antenna. I read through all the posts here which were very helpful. My question is on mounting the antenna. I have a Prinsu Rack which is all aluminum. Where and how would you recommend mounting the antenna? I'd like to just do it once and be good-to-go.

I went with GMRS because my wife and I evacuate almost twice a year for hurricanes and I also provide medical training all over the US and I can run scenarios out of my truck.

Is the 40W too much bang? Thank you all. Picture of my truck covered in pollen for reference. :)
Pollen_Truck.jpg

Reactions: DanW and RoarinRow

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

I picked up a Midland MXT400 with 6db Gain Antenna. I read through all the posts here which were very helpful. My question is on mounting the antenna. I have a Prinsu Rack which is all aluminum. Where and how would you recommend mounting the antenna? I'd like to just do it once and be good-to-go.

I went with GMRS because my wife and I evacuate almost twice a year for hurricanes and I also provide medical training all over the US and I can run scenarios out of my truck.

Is the 40W too much bang? Thank you all. Picture of my truck covered in pollen for reference. :)
I think using one of their RTT mounting feet as an antenna mount would look pretty good. Comet has an roof rack mount as well that may work. Comet RS-660U Mobile Antenna Adjustable Roof Rack Mounts RS-660U

If you already have the 40 watt radio there isn't anything wrong with that, for trail/convoy comms you shouldn't need that much.

13XSPX

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Brunswick, GA, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Hughes
Member #

I think using one of their RTT mounting feet as an antenna mount would look pretty good. Comet has an roof rack mount as well that may work. Comet RS-660U Mobile Antenna Adjustable Roof Rack Mounts RS-660U

If you already have the 40 watt radio there isn't anything wrong with that, for trail/convoy comms you shouldn't need that much.

Thank you for the feedback. The deal I got included this:

The Prinsu RTT Mounts is a great idea too. I think I may try to make this MXTA6 Mount work with my ARB Universal Awning Bracket. And just use the working half of the Midland.

I wish the 400 had the Weather Alert stuff.

Reactions: Prerunner1982

PNW EXPLR

Local Expert Southeast Washington, USA
Investor

Explorer I

Kennewick, WA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Denniston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LYZ
I wanted to direct connect mine to the battery but quickly found the supplied power cord was about 3 feet too short. Ran out of time or would have used a buttsplice to get it done.

Now I I'm the market for a HAM. It will replace my MTX-275.

PNW EXPLR

Investor

Explorer I

Kennewick, WA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Denniston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LYZ
I have an old Cobra 21 Classic collecting dust that we could throw in your rig for #superradionerd status... might even have an old firestick as well :)
This is what I love about this place, Everyone is always willing to help.

THEBUCK

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Cincinnati, OH
First Name
Craig
Last Name
Haberthy
Member #

MXT275 MicroMobile® Two-Way Radio | Midland USA

What a cool form factor, I've been considering adding a dedicated GMRS radio to my truck but hate to dedicate the dash space for mounting the transceiver body in a visible/convenient location for something that will rarely get used over the ham, definitely picking one of these up when they release. I'll mount the transceiver against the back cab wall behind the rear seats and extend the mic/controls with CAT5 cable.

Interesting test between FRS, GRMS, HAM, and CB via Youtube: using multiple checkpoints. I can't see going to the Ham radio because I'm NOT interested in getting my HAM license. I need something where I have a small real-estate base system in the Jeep, and two mobiles for sons that hike. I need to be able to communicate two them at certain checkpoints. The GRMS radios have some .5 watt channels (not good), some 5 watt channels (decent) and some 50 watt channels with repeaters (good). Also, one paid license lasts 10 years and its good for everyone in my family.

Reactions: Desert Runner

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Interesting test between FRS, GRMS, HAM, and CB via Youtube: using multiple checkpoints. I can't see going to the Ham radio because I'm NOT interested in getting my HAM license. I need something where I have a small real-estate base system in the Jeep, and two mobiles for sons that hike. I need to be able to communicate two them at certain checkpoints. The GRMS radios have some .5 watt channels (not good), some 5 watt channels (decent) and some 50 watt channels with repeaters (good). Also, one paid license lasts 10 years and its good for everyone in my family.
Just out of curiosity, how many GMRS repeaters do you have around you. I ask, because right here where I am we have 1 public one and several private ones. So if I am up in my favorite deer hunting spot I can’t contact my partner on the other side of the hunting unit because the repeater is about 30 miles from either one of us, and we are separated by 2 mountains and 50 miles.

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
That test while interesting is deeply flawed. Mainly in the fact they are comparing a bunch of handhelds with a hardmounted CB with external vehicle mounted antennas. The antenna is the heart of any radio install.

Reactions: M Rose

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
A Ham license while only covering one person is $10-15 and also lasts 10 years... getting every one in my family licensed for ham would cost me the same amount as a GRMS radio. I have been looking into both forms of comms, and decided to go with Ham over GRMS for 2 reasons, 1 world wide comms, 2 that’s what Overlander southern here in the west default to for the most part due to the large coverage area. I still run an old school Cobra 25 Classic for monitoring Loggers in the areas I frequent, and will eventually be getting GMRS for rig to rig coms in the groups that might be using them. Another factor to consider... how many people in you area are running GMRS compared to Ham? I ask because last month if you asked me how many people run GMRS and how many people run HAM in my little valley, my answer would have been about 4 people on GMRS and maybe 20 mobile ham rigs. I found out when looking for a place to take my ham test and willing to drive 200 miles to take my exam that there are over 200 mobile Ham operators in my valley alone and most have tested here in my home town. And I was closer to actual GMRS numbers as there are 10 people that are actually using GMRS and not running FRS.

Reactions: Bilbo

DanW

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Danville, Indiana
Member #

I just don't have time to study for and take the HAM test. My Jeep club has moved to GMRS, so I've found plenty of use for it. If the HAM license didn't require a test, it might be a different story.

PNW EXPLR

Investor

Explorer I

Kennewick, WA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Denniston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LYZ
I just don't have time to study for and take the HAM test. My Jeep club has moved to GMRS, so I've found plenty of use for it. If the HAM license didn't require a test, it might be a different story.
I just passed the Tech and General. I studied for 7 days about 3 hrs a day for the Tech. I am pretty sure I was ready on day 5. The General, I studied about 3 more days. It's not that hard.

Reactions: M Rose and DanW

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I just passed the Tech and General. I studied for 7 days about 3 hrs a day for the Tech. I am pretty sure I was ready on day 5. The General, I studied about 3 more days. It's not that hard.
I just took my Tech and passed, I got an extra 3 days on Mike for studying, but I couldn’t wrap my head around the General so I missed it by 1. I think I even spent less than 3 hours a day, more like 30 minutes a day. Had I put in more hours on my General, I probably would have passed it as well.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
If the group you are running with uses GRMS, then that’s the system of choice for you. I was asking @THEBUCK because a lot of guys think GRMS would be the way to go when in some areas it’s not what you thought it would be.