Rank VI

Traveler II

Chattanooga, TN, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Buttress
Member #

Just finished my install of the MXT 275. Went with a fender mount on my Ram 1500 and a 6db antenna on the truck and the plan is to be able to move this to the next truck I buy in a couple years. Overall, I like the quality of the radio and look forward to testing it on the trail.

Is that a custom antenna mount? Or did you buy it somewhere?

Reactions: RoarinRow

TheBronze

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Montebello, CA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Washburn
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6GBW
Service Branch
US Army
Ah! Those little 275’s fit in anything! Let us know how it works for you.

Reactions: BeerMeMarge

Rank II

Enthusiast III

El Paso, Texas
First Name
Z
Last Name
Varela
No, if they did the internet guru's that do reviews would have located them immediately. Besides, at the price point these radios are made at there's no way.
Well thats interesting because back in the day, that's what they said about the computers, " That it has not tracking? ..... It turns out that all computers record all key strokes locally on a computer via microchip. So why wouldn't a Gov that today is overreaching not have the same for these strong FRS/GMRS communication devices? I guess we will have to wait and see until we get a guru verify all components on these devices...

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

Well thats interesting because back in the day, that's what they said about the computers, " That it has not tracking? ..... It turns out that all computers record all key strokes locally on a computer via microchip. So why wouldn't a Gov that today is overreaching not have the same for these strong FRS/GMRS communication devices? I guess we will have to wait and see until we get a guru verify all components on these devices...
I am sure GMRS users are not high on their list, besides they are already tracking you with your vehicle and your cell phone.

Rank II

Enthusiast III

El Paso, Texas
First Name
Z
Last Name
Varela
I am sure GMRS users are not high on their list, besides they are already tracking you with your vehicle and your cell phone.
I guess for some it's OK, But for me, I will heed the warning of the Founding Father of this Nation and that is not to give up your privacy voluntarily and most important, your guns..So I guess I'm stuck with my trusty CB.

chasmdog

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Michigan
First Name
Charlie
Last Name
Schmidt
Member #

What antenna would you replace the stock one with?

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk
I'm running the MICROMOBILE®MXTA11 6DB GAIN ANTENNA with mine, mounted at the rear of my JKU. Reception is darn good. Receiver sits under driver side seat and mic mounts on a Jeepuniq mic holder attached to my Vector Offload JKE-dock. It's a highly functional setup that doesn't require much real estate.

Reactions: Desert Runner

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
I guess for some it's OK, But for me, I will heed the warning of the Founding Father of this Nation and that is not to give up your privacy voluntarily and most important, your guns..So I guess I'm stuck with my trusty CB.
What makes you think theyre not doing the same with your CB?

Reactions: RainGoat

Wile_Coyote

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Santa Fe, NM, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
da Gearhead
Member #

It might be issued by the end of the week. Since its all online now its pretty fast. Just keep an eye on your FRN at the FCC website. You should receive an email letting you know when it gets issued though.
Yup, it was issued.
WRED765
My radio showed up yesterday as well. Need to set aside some time to get it installed.

DanW

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Danville, Indiana
Member #

Has anyone played with the privacy codes on this radio? I'm off roading next weekend with a Jeep club and they will be using a GMRS frequency with a privacy code. I haven't yet dug into this thing to figure out how to set it up.

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
Has anyone played with the privacy codes on this radio? I'm off- roading next weekend with a Jeep club and they will be using a GMRS frequency with a privacy code. I haven't yet dug into this thing to figure out how to set it up.
Some one most likely will be running this same radio, or know how to do the privacy channels for setup. I'm kind off surprised they will need that unless there is a lot of traffic on the ' Comms', outside of your group.

Let us know how it goes with range, clarity, and the terrain encountered. I always like hearing...REAL TIME....review use. I also have not looked into the privacy channel aspects of the MXT275 yet either. I was going to change the power plug cord out and into a permanently hard/wired system, but I am now considering keeping it like it came, thus making it more portable.

I can't remember if you upgraded your antenna, or were planning to run the factory shorty. If you upgraded, which style, and do you plan any informal RANGE TESTS between them while out. I plan to keep the OEM, as a backup and spare, in case of damage to the Midland 6 dB I bought, while out on the trails. For desert running (pun) the Comet would work great, Overhead/side foliage would be a challenge I think.
logo.png
PS...... trip pics please :laughing:

Last edited:

DanW

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Danville, Indiana
Member #

Some one most likely will be running this same radio, or know how to do the privacy channels for setup. I'm kind off surprised they will need that unless there is a lot of traffic on the ' Comms', outside of your group.

Let us know how it goes with range, clarity, and the terrain encountered. I always like hearing...REAL TIME....review use. I also have not looked into the privacy channel aspects of the MXT275 yet either. I was going to change the power plug cord out and into a permanently wired system, but I am now considering keeping it like it came, thus making it more portable.

I can't remember if you upgraded your antenna, or were planning to run the factory shorty. If you upgraded, which style, and do you plan any informal RANGE TESTS between them while out. I plan to keep the OEM, as a backup and spare, in case of damage to the Midland 6 dB I bought, while out on the trails.

PS...... trip pics please :laughing:
Yeah, I never use them, but they like using them, so they must have had some bad experience with traffic. We will be at Wildcat Creek Offroad Park and I guess it is an anniversary celebration, so there will be side x sides everywhere, so maybe they are pretty smart to do it.

I did upgrade the antenna. I went back and forth between the Midland 6db and this Comet antenna from antennafarm.com. I can't tell much difference, but I do think the Comet does a little better. It wiggles around in the wind more but the Midland is not painted, so my cowling lights glare more off of it, which is an annoyance. RIght now, I'm sticking with the Comet. It is a good bit taller and has a spring to help with branch strikes.

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
Yeah, I never use them, but they like using them, so they must have had some bad experience with traffic. We will be at Wildcat Creek Offroad Park and I guess it is an anniversary celebration, so there will be side x sides everywhere, so maybe they are pretty smart to do it.

I did upgrade the antenna. I went back and forth between the Midland 6db and this Comet antenna from antennafarm.com. I can't tell much difference, but I do think the Comet does a little better. It wiggles around in the wind more but the Midland is not painted, so my cowling lights glare more off of it, which is an annoyance. RIght now, I'm sticking with the Comet. It is a good bit taller and has a spring to help with branch strikes.

WOW,...... just looked it up on Amazon. Comet CA-2X4SR5RNMO- $74.95, plus (+)Comet CA-5PR- $28.85 for the spring upgrade. I like the fold-over feature, but at least for now, I will be content with Midlands upgrade offering. Just on looks alone, that looks like it would reach out forever. :laughing:.....radio sexiness.

The black is nice, as I have both black and chrome (white truck/black accent trim), and the black easily blends in, and is not as obvious to casual eyes.

OBLogo-Gold_Outlined_100x.png

Last edited:
Reactions: DanW

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
That antenna will catch everything in your path. I had an SSB5 rip the NMO mount out when a small limb went through the phasing coil and got snagged. Broke out my backup mag mount for the rest of the day with a 1/4wave.

Keep in mind "privacy" codes arent. Anyone not running CTCSS or DCS codes will be able to hear you. And you wont be able to tell if the frequency is busy or not when you key up.

DanW

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Danville, Indiana
Member #

That antenna will catch everything in your path. I had an SSB5 rip the NMO mount out when a small limb went through the phasing coil and got snagged. Broke out my backup mag mount for the rest of the day with a 1/4wave.

Keep in mind "privacy" codes arent. Anyone not running CTCSS or DCS codes will be able to hear you. And you wont be able to tell if the frequency is busy or not when you key up.
No worries, and thanks. I've tagged many a branch on that antenna and it has survived, so far. I keep the Midland in the back for extra tight areas or as a spare, too, as well as the itty bitty tiny antenna that came with the radio. As for the privacy codes, I'm aware. I think those guys just run them so that they don't have to hear other chatter.

Reactions: Downs

TheBronze

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Montebello, CA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Washburn
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6GBW
Service Branch
US Army
Accessing the tones is super easy. Just push the menu button and then use the up/down arrow keys to go to menu item Pt. Then push the lock button to allow you to change it. You want to set it to Ct. Then you can use the up/down arrow keys to select the tone the group is using. When you’re done with the event you can go back into the menu and reset the Ct or Of for off. Then you will hear everyone on the channel.

You can download a copy of the manual on the Midland website. It’s pretty straightforward and easy to use.

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
I just picked one of these up and waiting on my license to come through. Does everyone upgrade the antenna? I'm probably only going to be using it for trail rides.
I originally used a CB antenna and recently learned the antenna I was using the wrong frequency type so I reverted to the stubby antenna that came with the Midland kit.

Reactions: Downs