Brian
Last Name
Washburn
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6GBW
Service Branch
US Army
I just picked one of these up and waiting on my license to come through. Does everyone upgrade the antenna? I'm probably only going to be using it for trail rides.
The included antenna will work fine for several miles. If you only envision using it for short ranges like that it should be fine.

ru108

Rank V

Traveler II

Prairieville, LA
First Name
Shane
Last Name
Tindall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K5TIN
Service Branch
USN
I just picked one of these up and waiting on my license to come through. Does everyone upgrade the antenna? I'm probably only going to be using it for trail rides.
Matthew,

Once you get everything installed, there are a few guys here in the BTR area that recently started trying to do a GMRS net on Monday nights, but it has been kind of hit and miss the last few weeks. Mostly due to people's work schedules and a lack of Net Controllers at the moment. If you're interested, I'll PM you the details and get you connected with the Facebook groups. I've gotten on exactly ONCE so far, but I work shift work, so I've not been able to really get on because of that. I miss about half the weekly nets for the Ascension ARC and the OB EchoLink nets too because of this, lol. Basically I'm only partially "radio active" in both UHF and VHF and usually only have the ham and GMRS radios on when I'm going to and from work.

FYI, there is a repeater in Prairieville and another in Livingston that have been installed and put on the air very recently. The one in P'ville is privately owned and "open with permission". The one in LP is "closed", run by the Livingston ARC (LOHSEP) and has a $10/yr membership fee. The net is being done on the LP repeater right now because its got hella range. The one in P'ville is fairly short range at the moment due to antenna height, but the owner is working on getting a tower put up in the near future, which will increase the range as well.

Last edited:

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
For that intended use the included antenna will work fine and not snag on everything in your path.

DanW

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Danville, Indiana
Member #

I know getting permission is involved, but how exactly do you access and use a repeater with this radio, and how far can you communicate with it, theoretically and realistically?

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
I know getting permission is involved, but how exactly do you access and use a repeater with this radio, and how far can you communicate with it, theoretically and realistically?
It's totally going to depend on your repeater's location and elevation. My regular GMRS repeater where I live I can easily hit from about 40 miles away and a similar distance on the other side of the repeater so that would give me about 80 miles total range. Of course you can get into deadspots if you are really low or blocked by buildings or terrain but that applies to any repeater.

Head over to MYGMRS and click on the repeaters link at the top then you can search by your location for repeaters in your area. GMRS repeaters aren't as widespread as HAM repeaters so you may or may not have one in your area.

You get the information off of that site for input and output frequencies of the repeater (GMRS has preset frequency pairs) then the "PL TONE". You'll need to program that into the radio, I'm not familar with the MXT so you'll have to do your leg work there.

The MYGMRS website will also list if the repeater is "Open" or "Permission Required". Typically if it's Permission Required you'll need to contact the repeater owner to get whatever PL tone they are using. Sometimes they just want to know how is using it other times they require a monthly or annual fee for use, for repeater upkeep. Many are "Open" which means the owners are ok with whoever using it.

ru108

Rank V

Traveler II

Prairieville, LA
First Name
Shane
Last Name
Tindall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K5TIN
Service Branch
USN
Repeater Channels
Your MXT275 has the ability to access repeater channels. The use of a repeater can significantly increase a radio’s range and coverage area. Prior to using a repeater you must coordinate with the owner of the repeater to gain permission to use the repeater. Be sure to understand and follow the sharing and usage rules for each repeater system. To Set the Repeater Channel: 1.Press and release the Menu button to place the radio in “Menu” mode. 2. Use the Volume Up or Volume Down button to scroll through the menu options until the LCD display shows rP 3.Press the Lock button to confirm your selection. 4. Use the Volume Up or Volume Down button to select ON or OFF. 5.Press the Lock button to confirm your selection. YOU MUST PRESS THE LOCK BUTTON TO CONFIRM YOUR SELECTION OR THE REPEATER CHANNEL SELECTION WILL NOT BE CHANGED ▪ When activated the repeater channels will be displayed as the channel number (Ex. 15,16,17,ect.) and the rP icon ▪ Repeater channels will appear immediately following the standard GMRS channels (ex: 20,21,22,15rP,16rP17rP etc) .

Since most repeaters use PL (CTCSS) tones, you'll also likely need to set this as well so you can trip the repeater. The tone type (below) will be "Ct". Don't worry about the "dC" setting. The owner/trustee will let you know what the tone is when he/she grants permission to use it.

To select a Privacy Code
1.Press and release the Menu button to a place the radio in “Menu” mode. 2. Use the Volume Up or Volume Down button to scroll through the menu options until the LCD display shows Pt, then press the Lock button. 3. Use the Volume Up or Volume Down button to select the privacy tone type you would like to use: oF, Ct, or dC 4.Press the Lock button to confirm your selection. ▪ The (for CTCSS) or (for DCS) icon will show on the LCD display, according to your selection 5. Use the Volume Up or Volume Down button to scroll forward or backward through the available Privacy Codes until the desired Privacy Code is shown on the LCD display. NOTE: DCS Privacy Codes 100-104 are shown on the LCD display as A0-A4. NOTE: Selecting a Privacy Code of “oF” will disable the Privacy feature. 6. When the desired Privacy Code is shown on the LCD display, press the Lock Button to confirm your selection. YOU MUST PRESS THE LOCK BUTTON TO CONFIRM YOUR SELECTION OR THE PRIVACY CODE WILL NOT BE CHANGED NOTE: If you select a CTCSS Privacy Code, any pre-selected DCS Privacy Code will be cancelled, and vice-versa.

With regard to range, the increase in transmit and reception distances will depend on IF you can hit the repeater, the power output of the repeater and the height AGL of the repeater antenna.

Hope this helps!

KarmaSeoul

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Baton Rouge, LA, USA
First Name
Matthew
Last Name
D
Member #

Matthew,

Once you get everything installed, there are a few guys here in the BTR area that recently started trying to do a GMRS net on Monday nights, but it has been kind of hit and miss the last few weeks. Mostly due to people's work schedules and a lack of Net Controllers at the moment. If you're interested, I'll PM you the details and get you connected with the Facebook groups. I've gotten on exactly ONCE so far, but I work shift work, so I've not been able to really get on because of that. I miss about half the weekly nets for the Ascension ARC and the OB EchoLink nets too because of this, lol. Basically I'm only partially "radio active" in both UHF and VHF and usually only have the ham and GMRS radios on when I'm going to and from work.

FYI, there is a repeater in Prairieville and another in Livingston that have been installed and put on the air very recently. The one in P'ville is privately owned and "open with permission". The one in LP is "closed", run by the Livingston ARC (LOHSEP) and has a $10/yr membership fee. The net is being done on the LP repeater right now because its got hella range. The one in P'ville is fairly short range at the moment due to antenna height, but the owner is working on getting a tower put up in the near future, which will increase the range as well.
Definitely interested. I don't know too much about all of it but thought the best way was to dive in. Plan on working on my ham license when I get some free time.

Rank II

Enthusiast III

El Paso, Texas
First Name
Z
Last Name
Varela
What makes you think theyre not doing the same with your CB?
Old School CB's are old patents and don't include tracking chips like they do with todays keyboard/motherboards patents..... FCC made new RX/TX to include the new technology and was not so much the company doing.

• Wow
Reactions: Desert Runner

DanW

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Danville, Indiana
Member #

I don't really lose sleep over who might be tracking or why, unless the SHTF. Then I'd try to go dark. If they can still track me, under those conditions, they will have a couple challenges to deal with if they seek me out, if I'm still breathing.

Wile_Coyote

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Santa Fe, NM, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
da Gearhead
Member #

speaking of SHTF, it seems like we are getting closer to that scenario with the political carnival in DC. With the division of the country, I can imaging marshal law being hammered down heavy in the big cities, right along with radio communications being tracked, or an attempt to clamp down on the communications. But, as you said, when that happens, I'm sure the Gov't will have it's hands full with the larger cities going nuts. Interesting times.

Rocky Mountain High

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate III

Fort Collins, Colorado, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Rogers
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC6YWC
speaking of SHTF, it seems like we are getting closer to that scenario with the political carnival in DC. With the division of the country, I can imaging marshal law being hammered down heavy in the big cities, right along with radio communications being tracked, or an attempt to clamp down on the communications. But, as you said, when that happens, I'm sure the Gov't will have it's hands full with the larger cities going nuts. Interesting times.
Unfortunately, you bring up a good point and I agree with you. Seems like things are getting crazier by the minute. I need to prioritize getting some better comms soon.

DanW

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Danville, Indiana
Member #

I just bought a Baufeng BF-F8+ 5 watt handheld radio as a back-up and handheld for off-road spotting on GMRS frequencies. It just happens that it would be a good SHTF radio to monitor HAM and other frequencies, as well. I got it for about 13 bucks on Amazon. I think it was $25 but I had some kind of surprise bonus discount that showed up after I finalized the order. Can't beat that price. It gets FM at the click of a button, too.

Reactions: Desert Runner

Wile_Coyote

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Santa Fe, NM, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
da Gearhead
Member #

I just bought a Baufeng BF-F8+ 5 watt handheld radio as a back-up and handheld for off-road spotting on GMRS frequencies. It just happens that it would be a good SHTF radio to monitor HAM and other frequencies, as well. I got it for about 13 bucks on Amazon. I think it was $25 but I had some kind of surprise bonus discount that showed up after I finalized the order. Can't beat that price. It gets FM at the click of a button, too.
These are pretty good radios. I bought a couple of these a few years back. I setup this radio with an adapter, and mounted the antenna on my roof (on top of a swamp cooler) and I had pretty good reception. I was picking up traffic from folks down in the southern part of the state. I'm happy with that. Because I don't have a HAM license yet, i didn't broadcast my presence.

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
Keep in mind its illegal to operate that radio on GMRS. Nothing will probably ever come of it but its something to be aware of

Reactions: Prerunner1982

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
Old School CB's are old patents and don't include tracking chips like they do with todays keyboard/motherboards patents..... FCC made new RX/TX to include the new technology and was not so much the company doing.
......maybe loosen up the tin foil a little bit.

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
This antenna looks a lot like a more expensive version. Similar to what 'DanW' used, but not in black:screamcat:. Made in Japan, and with a NMO adapter base added, it might be a idea. 1570686986770.png

Price is right also............
70W Gain Car Mobile Radio Antenna Dual Band UHF/VHF 144/430MHz SG-M507 Antenna

$10.99
+ $1.89 Shipping1570687305686.png

Antenna TW-NMO to UHF Female (SO-239) Mobile Antenna Adaptor (2 Packs) One is White Adaptor Connector Another one is Black Color $16.99
Antenna on E-Bay
Adapters on Amazon

NOTE: The base on the antenna says...."made in Japan",.....but it ships from China,.....go figure.

Last edited:
Reactions: DanW

DzrtShamrock

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder III

Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA
First Name
Kyle
Last Name
Betts
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KF0AWV
This thread has been good read. I recently got my GMRS license and an MXT275. Are any of you guys running dedicated power to the radio during install or just using the 12v socket that comes with it? I intended on running it's own power line for mine but couldn't find anything to suggest what size fuse to go with.

Reactions: DanW