Kennewick, WA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Denniston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LYZ
I just took my Tech and passed, I got an extra 3 days on Mike for studying, but I couldn’t wrap my head around the General so I missed it by 1. I think I even spent less than 3 hours a day, more like 30 minutes a day. Had I put in more hours on my General, I probably would have passed it as well.
Hey, good job on the pass!

Reactions: M Rose

DanW

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Danville, Indiana
Member #

If the group you are running with uses GRMS, then that’s the system of choice for you. I was asking @THEBUCK because a lot of guys think GRMS would be the way to go when in some areas it’s not what you thought it would be.
Yeah, they mostly use Baufung handhelds but they use them on GMRS channels. I actually bought them before I joined the club, so I lucked out. I bought them because I've got two Wranglers and my daughter has a Renegade and my son a Grand Cherokee. I've put GMRS in each of them and immediate family can all use one license. I'm starting to see a few more folks here and there using them.

I've got the MXT275, the 115, and a couple of 5w units, plus two handhelds for spotters. Even if I didn't run across anyone else with one, I still have plenty of use for them.

Reactions: M Rose

DzrtShamrock

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder III

Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA
First Name
Kyle
Last Name
Betts
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KF0AWV
So I was able to install an MXT275 in my vehicle a couple of weeks ago. So far I'm pretty happy with it. Did a write-up with a few pictures on the FJ forum (link below).
I approached the question of what communication method to select with two things in mind. The first was what capability do I really need? The second is what will I use it for?

Suffice it to say, GMRS meets my need right now. When I get a chance to do more frequent trips I'll look at upgrading my capability. Even if I do eventually expand, I'll likely still keep a GMRS capability if for no other reason that the ability to communicate with various handhelds - whether in a recovery situation or just maintaining contact while away from a campsite (fishing, hiking, etc).

52rider

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Kimberly, Idaho
First Name
MARK
Last Name
LILLEY
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7KTP
GMRS... hmmmm.

I like the idea, but as with any radio, it takes two.
And I've had the most success with Ham radio lately, convincing my two sons and a friend to get their Ham license in order to have reliable and functional trail comms.

Let me think a minute...

Reasons I might get this:
- Nice form factor, easy to mount almost anywhere
- Mic controls are handy
- GMRS license is good for not just one person
- High functionality and can communicate with more people
- One low cost to get in, box includes pretty much everything needed, including an antenna!
- Plug and play, GMRS channels require no programming and can talk with any other GMRS capable radio

Reasons I might not get this:
- I'm out of dash real estate in my car! AM/FM radio, phone mount, CB, Ham, In-Reach w/tablet... they all take prime space up there
- Just one more radio that I'd feel obliged to use and support when Ham has been my main direction for a while now
- I think I paid for a GMRS license but never got any confirmation or actual call sign (that one is my fault for poor follow up)
- Won't come out til 2018 and I don't have that kind of patience!
- I feel like I finally have my Ham dialed in with freq's and repeaters that I use all programmed... Phew!

I'd like to try one to compare quality of sound and range, but don't feel like it would be better than Ham on 50 watts or so.
I know that's not a fair comparo, but like I said, I've got the Ham thing dialed in and I'd like fewer choices so we can all play well together on one type of radio, but that will never happen.

I'll probably stick to Ham/2m as my main comm, and CB as backup and occasional support.

@aearles let us know if you get one of these and what you think!

Dan.
Great list; My main comm is also Ham, but installing GMRS as backup.
Thanks

Reactions: Prerunner1982

dstock

Rank VI

Influencer I

Lake Arrowhead, CA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Stockslager
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6ZGS
Yeah, they mostly use Baufung handhelds but they use them on GMRS channels. I actually bought them before I joined the club, so I lucked out. I bought them because I've got two Wranglers and my daughter has a Renegade and my son a Grand Cherokee. I've put GMRS in each of them and immediate family can all use one license. I'm starting to see a few more folks here and there using them.

I've got the MXT275, the 115, and a couple of 5w units, plus two handhelds for spotters. Even if I didn't run across anyone else with one, I still have plenty of use for them.
Not to be the GMRS police, but you do realize unless you are using the Baofeng GMRS V1 radios, the Baofeng ham radios are illegal to use on GMRS frequencies. Will the FCC chase you down? Probably not, but in the spirit of good radio practices it should be noted.

Maverick1701

Rank I

Off-Road Ranger I

Lubbock, TX, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Tiedemann
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG5KBG
I got a new ride and decided to not go "full radio guy" this time (last truck had HAM & CB radios). The only mobile radio I installed was a MXT275. For 2m/75cm I'm going to just use my handheld & call it good.
I installed the MXT last week. It works GREAT. We have 3 repeaters in my area which is pretty nice.

GMRS is the way to go in my area.
I have used my GMRS radio more in the last week than I ever used my mobile HAM radio in the year it was installed. Apparently HAM is pretty dead in my area.

Attachments

52rider

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Kimberly, Idaho
First Name
MARK
Last Name
LILLEY
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7KTP
Nice - I like it. I'm in an area that is opposite. Ham's are fairly active and in my area, we have 11 to 13 fusion linked repeaters. I did install GMRS, even though there are 0 in the immediate vicinity. There are some but way out of range. But I did install a GMRS also.

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
I recently installed the MXT115 and I would say I was very happy with the performance. Even with the stock antenna I was picking up people miles away. I am going to upgrade to the 6DB antenna (ordered). I would rather give a friend a handheld to use if they don't have GMRS or HAM than deal with a CB anymore.

kilby

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Rox Park Colorado
First Name
Joel
Last Name
Kilby
Member #

I just ordered the MXT275 and a couple X Talk handhelds. Also just paid for my license and got a call sign. Any tips for a noob? is it basically a more powerful CB?

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
I just ordered the MXT275 and a couple X Talk handhelds. Also just paid for my license and got a call sign. Any tips for a noob? is it basically a more powerful CB?
Very few people use their call signs. In the Phoenix area I have heard a few from a local private repeater group. Other than that it seems pretty much like a free for all. Some companies. Lots of kids. General profanity and music like CB. On the trail it’s more quiet and similar to the Ham users. My 2 cents.

kilby

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Rox Park Colorado
First Name
Joel
Last Name
Kilby
Member #

Yeah. I'm hoping to use it mostly for keeping in touch with basecamp while we're in the backcountry (if we ever get to go back). And travel. Sounds like it's not very strict. I've been considering a HAM license, too but stalled out trying to figure out the test/class.

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

I've been considering a HAM license, too but stalled out trying to figure out the test/class.
Technician: Entry level, mainly VHF/UHF frequency access some voice on 10m. Typically all that is needed for offroad/back country travel. There is a push right now to open up tech privileges to more HF voice frequencies.
General: More HF frequencies, good for longer distance if you are really in BFE where repeaters are sparse (Alaska & Canada perhaps). Most hobbyist.
Extra: ALL ham radio frequency privileges, typically only the radio hobbyist goes this far.

Feel free to make a thread and ask if you have any radio questions. We are glad to help.

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
I recently installed the MXT115 and I would say I was very happy with the performance. Even with the stock antenna I was picking up people miles away. I am going to upgrade to the 6DB antenna (ordered). I would rather give a friend a handheld to use if they don't have GMRS or HAM than deal with a CB anymore.
Make sure it's what you need for your terrain. Here's a good graphic on antenna gain vs coverage. More gain isn't always the answer. One of my favorite GMRS antennas for trail use is a little LARID 1/4 wave that's about 6 inches long and has "unity" gain. Get's me excellent coverage over varying terrain and is so short nothing grabs it. It's also a 9 dollar antenna so if I destroy it no big deal.

Antennas are like tools. There's correct ones for various jobs. I keep more than one in the Jeep they take up basically no space. Short one when on the trail then a longer one with more gain when I'm on the pavement on flatter terrain.

Sorta. It's like CB in that you use radio waves to communicate. But the waves are a lot shorter on the GMRS unit compared to the CB so you can run a much smaller antenna that has less chance of getting snagged on crap. It also gives you access to GMRS repeaters that can greatly extend your range from a few miles to dozens of miles. We have a really good unit in our area that has a range of about a 40 mile radius around the unit. Giving me a theoretical range of almost 80 miles.

See if you have any repeaters locally and try to get on them. It's where you'll find the more serious radio users.

kilby

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Rox Park Colorado
First Name
Joel
Last Name
Kilby
Member #

Yeah, so I was just planning to use it for family and small group trips, but there's a whole world out there that I have exactly 0 knowledge of...

13XSPX

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Brunswick, GA, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Hughes
Member #

Just installed my MXT400. I'm a fan. I just wanted to know if anyone had a suggestion for an antenna that I can keep mounted but still enter my garage with. I'd like to keep the antenna on. I know the 6db it came with will snap if I pull in with it.

Antenna is mounted in the middle of my roof rack. Thank you!Tacoma_Front_Clean_Nov2019.jpg

Reactions: DanW

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
@13XSPX what kind of clearance do you have between the top of the vehicle and the opening to the garage?
Need this info. The shortest you will be able to go will be either a Phantom type or a 1/4 wave.

3.5 inches tall. DOn't let the looks fool you these still perform really well as long as you have a ground plane for it. This is pretty much as short as you are going to be able to get.

This little guy is one of my favorite antennas for trail use. Only about 6 inches long and still gives excellent performance. Look up about 2 or 3 posts to my post about antenna gain. in many cases off road a 3db gain antenna is one of the best choices you can do. I keep an extra antenna or two in the Jeep because they take up basically no space and are easy to change. Allows me to change antennas for a given situation.

Reactions: J.W. and 13XSPX