Lake Arrowhead, CA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Stockslager
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6ZGS
I installed the MXT275 in the JL today. I'm temporarily using the little antenna that came with it, though, until I can fabricate a much better one. Whichever is in use will be hanging from the dash, while the other will sit to the side. My navigator (kid) can monitor one, if using both. It worked out well because the glove box opens without obstruction. I mounted the base on the panel under the steering wheel. It has a speaker, in addition to the one on the handset. That will help at highway speed, I'm sure. The handset alone is much louder than the Uniden. I think the Midland is a little bit of a better design.
I'm curious as to how bright the handheld display is at night? Does it have a setting to dim it?

Thanks.

HappyOurOverlanding

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Verdi Nevada
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7RAM
So I picked up the MXT275 a couple of days ago and I am looking for recommendations on an antenna. I am new to the communications aspect so any help would be appreciated. Someone mentioned the Larsen 450 (which I like the idea of it being low profile) but I am not sure if that is a good route or not. I would prefer something that is not obnoxious and that gets caught up on stuff. Do any of you experts have a recommendations?

Thanks!
See if the Larsen SpringB spring can be used on your antenna model. I have a Larsen and SpringB spring fire my Ham setup and have had no issues with getting the antenna stuck in low trees and brush.

Reactions: RainGoat and 569x

DanW

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Danville, Indiana
Member #

I'm curious as to how bright the handheld display is at night? Does it have a setting to dim it?

Thanks.
I don't think so, but unlike the Uniden, the keys are only lit when using it. The display is fairly bright, though. I'll continue to play with it and might even get off my lazy butt and check the manual. I went through the menu and didn't see it.

On another note, yesterday, I drove down to a Jeep rally in southern Indiana. They were doing some kind of distance running race in downtown Indy. I was a good 15 miles south of I465, which would be roughly 2 miles south of Indy, give or take 1/2 mile. That puts me about 17 miles away, and I was receiving their transmissions very clearly. I don't know what radios they were using or what power output they had, but they certainly sounded clear. I'm going to test it with the Midland in my other Jeep soon. I wouldn't even bother to run a CB if these weren't so scarce among other users.

Reactions: dstock

Graeman

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Catalina Avenue, Tucson, AZ, USA
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Hoffmaster
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7CRJ
Service Branch
Air Force
Finished my 115 install today in the 4Runner. Fits with a little trimming, where the ash tray used to sit. I am still on the fence with it as to whether or not I like it though. Will know for sure once I talk to others who have one. During the install I was talking to my wife(her on the handheld in the ouse and me on the 115 down in the parking lot) and I heard her every time and she did not hear me every time. Still working on mic placement and which antenna that I am going to use. Unlike the CB mic that I hold next to my lips, this one needs a couple of inches away to sound clear and there is a delay on when it finishes a call. My wife said that she would sometimes not hear the last word or two from me. Thinking that I should have gone with the 40watt model.

Bravo_Mike

Rank 0

Traveler I

See if the Larsen SpringB spring can be used on your antenna model. I have a Larsen and SpringB spring fire my Ham setup and have had no issues with getting the antenna stuck in low trees and brush.
I have seen where someone was mounting there antennas inside their Jeep since it has a fiberglass shell. I am thinking of doing the same thing so I dont have any issues with the antenna being visible (stolen) as well as hitting trees.

Graeman

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Todd
Last Name
Hoffmaster
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7CRJ
Service Branch
Air Force
Finished my 115 install today in the 4Runner. Fits with a little trimming, where the ash tray used to sit. I am still on the fence with it as to whether or not I like it though. Will know for sure once I talk to others who have one. During the install I was talking to my wife(her on the handheld in the ouse and me on the 115 down in the parking lot) and I heard her every time and she did not hear me every time. Still working on mic placement and which antenna that I am going to use. Unlike the CB mic that I hold next to my lips, this one needs a couple of inches away to sound clear and there is a delay on when it finishes a call. My wife said that she would sometimes not hear the last word or two from me. Thinking that I should have gone with the 40watt model.
Well, I like it so much better than the cb radio that I took that radio out of my truck. It will be Midland and Baofeng for me.

Graeman

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Todd
Last Name
Hoffmaster
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7CRJ
Service Branch
Air Force
I have the 15 watt model and if I had the money I would go 40 watts. Why not? More power is always good.

Graeman

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Todd
Last Name
Hoffmaster
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7CRJ
Service Branch
Air Force
I now have the Browning antenna hooked up to the Midland in the 1st picture. Plus, the radio is now mounted in the Jeep next to the park brake in the center console. I wanted it as far away from my dual camera in the mirror as keying the mic keeps changing the screen on the camera front front to back and it takes pictures too. With it mounted down low and the new antenna on the right light pod it works great with no interference. Looking forward to really testing it out on our vacation next month.

Attachments

Reactions: Prerunner1982

DanW

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Danville, Indiana
Member #

subscribing to this thread. I'm trying to decide on the mxt275 vs mxt400
I would have loved the power of the 400, but the mounting flexibility was just too important. Also, the MXT 275 has two speakers that can run simultaneously. In a Jeep with soft top, top down, or doors off, that was a major plus for me. Hope that helps.

Maybe someone with the 400 can chime in on speaker volume? It may have enough power to make it not much of an issue. Of course, if I was running a hard top vehicle that was quieter, it wouldn't be a potential issue.

Here is my current setup with the Bearcat CB on the left. The base unit for the 275 is under the steering wheel. The footwell amplifies the speaker sound a little. The handset speaker is nice and loud, too. Much more so than the little Bearcat.

AnywhereInTX

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Huntsville, AL, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
C
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS: WRDP535
Just finished my install of the MXT 275. Went with a fender mount on my Ram 1500 and a 6db antenna on the truck and the plan is to be able to move this to the next truck I buy in a couple years. Overall, I like the quality of the radio and look forward to testing it on the trail.

RainGoat

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Redmond, WA, USA
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Davis
Member #

I know BaoFeng has a bad rep amongst experienced Ham operators but I would like to pose this question. I was all set to buy a MXT275 when a guy I know who is a full time Overlander notes that they don’t scan and they can’t accommodate split tone repeaters. He uses a BTech Mini UV-25X4 purely for it’s scanning & notes “...helped me avoid all types of things. Bad weather, speed zones... everything from road closures to natural disasters. Get a lot of useful info in real-time that way (i.e., DOT, Law Enf, various emergency orgs)”. With that in mind I’m reconsidering & contemplating the BTECH Mobile GMRS-50X1. It gets a good review from Miklor (Review BTech GMRS-50X1 Mobile - Miklor). Please comment away! I’m trying to guide my local group into GMRS & would appreciate the guidance. I also wouldn’t mind hearing what you guys think are the best handhelds to accompany a GMRS? Thanks in advance!

Reactions: TRED LYT

DanW

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Danville, Indiana
Member #

I know BaoFeng has a bad rep amongst experienced Ham operators but I would like to pose this question. I was all set to buy a MXT275 when a guy I know who is a full time Overlander notes that they don’t scan and they can’t accommodate split tone repeaters. He uses a BTech Mini UV-25X4 purely for it’s scanning & notes “...helped me avoid all types of things. Bad weather, speed zones... everything from road closures to natural disasters. Get a lot of useful info in real-time that way (i.e., DOT, Law Enf, various emergency orgs)”. With that in mind I’m reconsidering & contemplating the BTECH Mobile GMRS-50X1. It gets a good review from Miklor (Review BTech GMRS-50X1 Mobile - Miklor). Please comment away! I’m trying to guide my local group into GMRS & would appreciate the guidance. I also wouldn’t mind hearing what you guys think are the best handhelds to accompany a GMRS? Thanks in advance!
The MXT275 actually does scan channels. I use that feature all the time. As for repeaters, I don't have any experience with that, so not sure. I'd ask someone else, who is familiar, though, because he was wrong on the scanning feature.

I bought a package deal with an MXT115 for my JK and it came with two really nice Midland handhelds. They work well and have good battery life which becomes even better when you have them set to low power. I've found that the handhelds are invaluable for spotters and for keeping in touch with my kids when they bail out to hike around. That deal can be had for 200 bucks right now. Farm Radio Bundle

As a side note, another useful thing for looking out for weather is the Scanner Radio app on Android. I think it can be had for Apple, too, but it works with Android Auto and I can monitor the Skywarn network as well as police/fire/emergency all over the world.

systemdelete

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Nashville, TN
First Name
Erik
Last Name
Rumbaugh
Member #

IMG_2503.JPG

The mx275 absolutely supports repeaters compliant with GMRS. There is a large private network of them in parts of the southeast that I’ve used while out and about. As mentioned above it also scans. I’ve been quite happy with mine to date.