Launch Member

Influencer I

Dallas, Texas
First Name
Brad
Last Name
S
Member #

I would like to preface this question with the statement that I literally know nothing about radios other than the normal CB stuff. I would like to be a Ham Operator in the near future but the appearance of overwhelming complexity has thus far kept me from it. However I would like to communicate clear and effectively while on the trail, so I am outfitting my truck with radio(s) in the next few months. I have already paid for and received my GMRS license. So here is my first question here; I understand if I buy a true HAM radio and have the MARS modification done to it then I can transmit and receive on GMRS frequencies. Is this true? Is this legal? Is this practical? I would like to get the most bang for my buck and like all have stated here, dash real-estate is at a premium. I'll leave it here for now but have many additional questions.......

HeliSniper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Dallas, Texas
First Name
Brad
Last Name
S
Member #

Can you? Yes.... Legal? No Don't go blasting 50 watts on the 5 watt or 0.5 watt GMRS frequencies and nobody is likely to notice.
If the GMRS frequencies are 5 watt or 0.5 watt then how can Midland sell GMRS radios that are 40 watts? I'm confused....
MXT400 MICROMOBILE®
2-WAY RADIO

Max out your GMRS performance with the Midland MicroMobile® MXT400 two-way radio. With 40 Watts of broadcasting power, this radio is the most powerful GMRS radio made by Midland

HeliSniper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Dallas, Texas
First Name
Brad
Last Name
S
Member #

Copy, I understand what you were talking about now. Do you have to adjust the TX wattage down when talking on the lower channels or does the radio already know and adjust for you? Or is this radio restricted to just channels 15 thru 22?

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

The MXT-275 like their other GMRS radios and works on channels 1-7 and 15-22. The power is programmed to adjust according to the channel you select.

Last edited:
Reactions: RainGoat and dstock

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Has anyone heard that the MXT275 is available yet?

HeliSniper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Dallas, Texas
First Name
Brad
Last Name
S
Member #

The MXT-275 like their other GMRS radios and works on channels 1-7 and 15-22. The power is programmed to adjust according to the channel you select.
Then a Ham Radio with the MARS modification, can you also program the correct wattage for the appropriate channel?

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Then a Ham Radio with the MARS modification, can you also program the correct wattage for the appropriate channel?

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk
the FCC says no, only GMRS radios can be used with GMRS channels. That being said you know whats in my ham radio ;-)

uss

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Odessa TX
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Ockert
Member #

Good discussion.
Most of the guys in my last club was stepping over to the VHF/UHF race radios.
Most are either 25 or 50 watts.
If you buy them from a company like Rugged Radios or PCI, they will come pre-programmed for the most popular race frequencies and the GMRS frequencies, and set for the correct power level.

I won't even get into the licensing requirements on these radios, because it is a little confusing.
That would be a whole different thread.

The race radios can also be bought on eBay or Amazon, but will come with no programming in them.
It is easy with Chirp though.

Most of the guys in the Side-by-Side community are running these radios, because the can connect them to their intercom system easier than a CB.
The range is much better on these radios then with a CB also.

My race radio is unlocked and will step down into the 2m range if we have an emergency and not able to get anyone on the race radio.

Todd

aearles

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

USA
The licensing requirement is not that confusing, Rugged Radios is knowingly side-stepping the law in the interest of their bottom line. Their radios are not type-accepted for any of the services that they're pre-programmed for, including GMRS at the correct power levels or any of the other personal radio services. They would only be suitable for those with a license for a designated or itinerant frequency, or on amateur bands with a amateur license.

Plus they're overpriced junk ass chinese hardware.

Reactions: bunger and dstock

uss

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Odessa TX
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Ockert
Member #

Here is my guess on the licensing requirements.
I think the requirement for a license on any of these radios will go away in the future. Maybe not in the very near future, but it will.
Just like the original requirement to be licensed to use a CB years ago.
As more people bought the CB radio and used it without a license, the FCC just removed the requirement.

Right/wrong/indifferent, many people are using the race radios with no license!

I do think it will take longer for the FCC to remove the license requirements on the ham radio, only because of the current groups who would lobby congress and the FCC to not remove the license requirements.
It is called the amateur band, so truly make it amateur and open up the license requirements to be less restrictive.
Just like removing the requirement to learn Morse code that was on the original requirements.

Todd

Reactions: Graeman

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Good discussion.
Most of the guys in my last club was stepping over to the VHF/UHF race radios.
Most are either 25 or 50 watts.
If you buy them from a company like Rugged Radios or PCI, they will come pre-programmed for the most popular race frequencies and the GMRS frequencies, and set for the correct power level.

I won't even get into the licensing requirements on these radios, because it is a little confusing.
That would be a whole different thread.

The race radios can also be bought on eBay or Amazon, but will come with no programming in them.
It is easy with Chirp though.

Most of the guys in the Side-by-Side community are running these radios, because the can connect them to their intercom system easier than a CB.
The range is much better on these radios then with a CB also.

My race radio is unlocked and will step down into the 2m range if we have an emergency and not able to get anyone on the race radio.

Todd
Hey Todd thanks for your input! This discussion along with numerous others on the forum about comms gets kinda off track sometimes you should check out some of the Communications Page. This thread started due to members trying to decide to step up from CB to GMRS and the Midland radio with the remote head looks like a good fit form most overland vehicles. Since the FCC has now said all GMRS radios must be approved for that frequency spectrum there will be lots of new radios coming on the market that look more like Ham radios but will only be programed for GMRS and can cross over to the FRS common frequencies.
As you know in El Dorado County we really on ham radios and the repeater system that RTF helps maintain so thats our preference here with the Sierra Foothills Overlanders.
That being said what we are trying to do on a much larger level is get everyone on a common radio net and the easiest way to do that is GMRS. GMRS has a lic requirement but no test and if we keep the pressure up on the FCC the cost of the lic will go down, at least the license period been extended so that makes it more affordable.
Some of the race radios even though pre-programed for GMRS are not FCC approved. And if you have heard John Arenz from RTF talk about the inexpensive radios you understand the problems with them.

Reactions: uss

uss

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Odessa TX
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Ockert
Member #

Kent

I fully understand, and did not mean to take this thread off-track.
I know what you mean about the other radios on the market that are not FCC compliant.
I suspect that in the near future, the FCC will completely remove the license requirements on the GMRS radios, just like they did on the CB radio license requirement years ago.

I like what those on the Rubicon have done with teaching the ham class and everything for comms on the trail.

Finding a better radio than a CB for communication is the end goal.

We have probably met while I was in Cali and doing work with FOTR a few years ago. :)

Todd

Reactions: Graeman