Shane
Last Name
Tindall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K5TIN
Service Branch
USN
Mine came in Wednesday and I installed it in the 4Runner yesterday. MUCH smaller than the MXT400 I've got in my Tundra. For now its mounted on the passenger side of the center tunnel so I can plug it into the 12v in the glove box. The plan is to ultimately mount the receiver under one of the front seats or in the glove box. The handset cable is plenty long enough for both locations. Aesthetically, it blends in fairly well if you're looking for low profile mounting and the control head is easy to use.
As far as range goes, I haven't really tested it yet. Unfortunately, no one around here (that I'm aware of, anyway) uses GMRS except the occasional kid on a handheld and the nearest repeater is over 50 miles away, so.... I'll be taking a drive next week when I'm off again and test the range with the better half sitting in the Tundra at the house. I suspect that the 1/4 wave antenna that it came with will eventually be replaced by a 5/8 6db gain like I'm using in the Tundra, but I'll report the results (and pics) of the kit as it stands now asap so there can be at least one point of reference. I live in the "burbs", so only trees and houses to block a signal. I've basically got GMRS for trail and camp use with the extra handhelds I've had for years, so if I can get 5 miles out of it, I'll be happy.

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Mine came in Wednesday and I installed it in the 4Runner yesterday. MUCH smaller than the MXT400 I've got in my Tundra. For now its mounted on the passenger side of the center tunnel so I can plug it into the 12v in the glove box. The plan is to ultimately mount the receiver under one of the front seats or in the glove box. The handset cable is plenty long enough for both locations. Aesthetically, it blends in fairly well if you're looking for low profile mounting and the control head is easy to use.
As far as range goes, I haven't really tested it yet. Unfortunately, no one around here (that I'm aware of, anyway) uses GMRS except the occasional kid on a handheld and the nearest repeater is over 50 miles away, so.... I'll be taking a drive next week when I'm off again and test the range with the better half sitting in the Tundra at the house. I suspect that the 1/4 wave antenna that it came with will eventually be replaced by a 5/8 6db gain like I'm using in the Tundra, but I'll report the results (and pics) of the kit as it stands now asap so there can be at least one point of reference. I live in the "burbs", so only trees and houses to block a signal. I've basically got GMRS for trail and camp use with the extra handhelds I've had for years, so if I can get 5 miles out of it, I'll be happy.
You should get way more than 5 miles, I look forward to hearing about it.

justjohnthomas

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Orofino, Idaho
Member #

I also picked up a MTX90 though didn’t find one at two different Walmarts so ordered on Amazon for $35. While I initially wanted to wait for the MXT275, the $35 spent has been well worth it the past two months over using handhelds. We carry our two handhelds with us as well and have loaned them out. Looking forward to impressions of the 275. IMG_0001.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

ru108

Rank V

Traveler II

Prairieville, LA
First Name
Shane
Last Name
Tindall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K5TIN
Service Branch
USN
Kinda pic heavy at the end, but here goes...

Ok. I did a quick range test on the MXT275 this evening. The better half sat in my Tundra in the driveway at the house on the MXT400 and I took the 4Runner out on a little end of rush hour drive. Generally flat terrain (South Louisiana) and a suburban area with mostly subdivisions and lots of trees.

The max range I got with the included 1/4 wave antenna was just under 6 miles on high power (channel 15) in simplex mode. Unfortunately, the nearest listed repeater is about 50 miles away, so I can’t test anything in that regard. I’ve attached a screenshot with an overlay to give a better perspective of the radius and the signal obstructions along with pics of the setups in both the 4R and the Tundra.

I’ll definitely be replacing the 1/4 wave with a 5/8 wave eventually, but for trail running with a group, I think I’ll be pretty happy with it as is. One issue might be the fact that the antenna, as it sits, is blocked by the roof basket, but not really sure on that yet.

And the setup in the Tundra with the 400

Wawa Skittletits

Local Expert East Region USA
Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
I just ordered one. I'm sure I'll be swapping the antenna out for something to mount opposite of the 5' firestik I use for CB but I am curious about one thing @ru108. How long of a lead is there on the antenna that comes with it? I'm just curious if I can get away with it for now or if I need to start ordering parts now.

ru108

Rank V

Traveler II

Prairieville, LA
First Name
Shane
Last Name
Tindall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K5TIN
Service Branch
USN
I didn't measure it, but the owner's manual says 19.7 feet (6 meters) which sounds about right. I've got probably a good couple of feet coiled up under the front passenger seat and under the mat. And this was after running it from the center of the roof back to the hatch, then behind trim and through the passenger side wiring channels towards the front.

Reactions: Wawa Skittletits

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Been hearing nothing but good things about this model it works really well with vehicles that have little or no extra space, also it is a great alternative to getting a ham license. Ham is still the gold standard but GMRS in a group setting is defiantly a close second. In my jeep I have all three just because you never know.
If a member is looking for a good solid communications platform and has no interest in a Ham lic. Please consider GMRS.
In the OLB West region I am going to be trying to educate as many people as possible to either get their Ham Lic or get a GMRS lic. Remember GMRS is an on line application and is good for ten years, plus the lic is good for your whole family.

mylilpwny

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

I just ordered one. I'm sure I'll be swapping the antenna out for something to mount opposite of the 5' firestik I use for CB but I am curious about one thing @ru108. How long of a lead is there on the antenna that comes with it? I'm just curious if I can get away with it for now or if I need to start ordering parts now.
I do not have the new model but I have the last gen mxt115. The antenna included is the same from what I can tell. It is fine to start with but definitely leave much to be desired. I ended up switching it for a Browning BR-450 UHF 5/8 over 5/8 antenna and man what an improvement. I have it on a Browning magmount for the moment untill I make up my mind on the permanent antenna location.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using OB Talk mobile app

aearles

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

USA
The max range I got with the included 1/4 wave antenna was just under 6 miles on high power (channel 15) in simplex mode.
That really is about the best you can expect for relatively flat terrain with little to no obstructions on any line-of-sight band due to the curvature of the earth itself becoming an obstruction. Good read here, if you're interested: http://www.hamradioschool.com/?p=1184

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Kinda pic heavy at the end, but here goes...

Ok. I did a quick range test on the MXT275 this evening. The better half sat in my Tundra in the driveway at the house on the MXT400 and I took the 4Runner out on a little end of rush hour drive. Generally flat terrain (South Louisiana) and a suburban area with mostly subdivisions and lots of trees.

The max range I got with the included 1/4 wave antenna was just under 6 miles on high power (channel 15) in simplex mode. Unfortunately, the nearest listed repeater is about 50 miles away, so I can’t test anything in that regard. I’ve attached a screenshot with an overlay to give a better perspective of the radius and the signal obstructions along with pics of the setups in both the 4R and the Tundra.

I’ll definitely be replacing the 1/4 wave with a 5/8 wave eventually, but for trail running with a group, I think I’ll be pretty happy with it as is. One issue might be the fact that the antenna, as it sits, is blocked by the roof basket, but not really sure on that yet.

And the setup in the Tundra with the 400

I forgot to say thanks for the great review! Look forward to hearing about how it works on the trail

Reactions: ru108

ru108

Rank V

Traveler II

Prairieville, LA
First Name
Shane
Last Name
Tindall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K5TIN
Service Branch
USN
I ordered a 5/8 wave with 3dB gain (https://www.theantennafarm.com/catalog/laird-technologies-bb4503s-7825) that came in yesterday, so I'll see about swapping out in the next couple of days and report back. Not expecting a HUGE increase, taking into consideration @aearles response (thanks for that link, BTW!) and no repeaters in the area, but we'll see what happens. Regardless, the 1/4 wave that came with the unit will now be a spare for both trucks.

Reactions: Wawa Skittletits

WTAGP

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

camas, wa
First Name
Bob
Last Name
Smith
Member #

GMRS... hmmmm.

I like the idea, but as with any radio, it takes two.
And I've had the most success with Ham radio lately, convincing my two sons and a friend to get their Ham license in order to have reliable and functional trail comms.

Let me think a minute...

Reasons I might get this:
- Nice form factor, easy to mount almost anywhere
- Mic controls are handy
- GMRS license is good for not just one person
- High functionality and can communicate with more people
- One low cost to get in, box includes pretty much everything needed, including an antenna!
- Plug and play, GMRS channels require no programming and can talk with any other GMRS capable radio

Reasons I might not get this:
- I'm out of dash real estate in my car! AM/FM radio, phone mount, CB, Ham, In-Reach w/tablet... they all take prime space up there
- Just one more radio that I'd feel obliged to use and support when Ham has been my main direction for a while now
- I think I paid for a GMRS license but never got any confirmation or actual call sign (that one is my fault for poor follow up)
- Won't come out til 2018 and I don't have that kind of patience!
- I feel like I finally have my Ham dialed in with freq's and repeaters that I use all programmed... Phew!

I'd like to try one to compare quality of sound and range, but don't feel like it would be better than Ham on 50 watts or so.
I know that's not a fair comparo, but like I said, I've got the Ham thing dialed in and I'd like fewer choices so we can all play well together on one type of radio, but that will never happen.

I'll probably stick to Ham/2m as my main comm, and CB as backup and occasional support.

@aearles let us know if you get one of these and what you think!

Dan.
I agree. Most off road vehicles I run with have CB radios. It is low cost and easy to tell them what channel to be on. I have a CB, Ham, GMRS, and FSR. When we have a run we have 10 to 23 vehicles show up. EVERYONE has a CB radio. Maybe 6 have Ham radios. No one seems to have GMRS or FSR.

DanW

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Danville, Indiana
Member #

I installed the MXT275 in the JL today. I'm temporarily using the little antenna that came with it, though, until I can fabricate a much better one. Whichever is in use will be hanging from the dash, while the other will sit to the side. My navigator (kid) can monitor one, if using both. It worked out well because the glove box opens without obstruction. I mounted the base on the panel under the steering wheel. It has a speaker, in addition to the one on the handset. That will help at highway speed, I'm sure. The handset alone is much louder than the Uniden. I think the Midland is a little bit of a better design.

DanW

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Danville, Indiana
Member #

I tried out the two Midlands today in my Jeeps, including the JK with the MXT115 with a 6db gain antenna and magnetic mount stuck on the cowling in front of the windshield and the JL with the MXT275 with the little included antenna in a not so optimal mount. The Jeep JL has an aluminum body, so the best I could do was stick it on the head of a steel hinge bolt on the hood. Anway, through rolling hills, thick trees, and several neighborhoods, with my JK under some trees. We got 6 or 7 miles of range, where we could understand each other pretty well.

I couldn't even get a full mile out of the CB radios in the two Jeeps. Wow! I'm betting that once I get the 6db antenna mounted properly on the JL, we'll get some pretty impressive distance in desert around Moab or on long flat highways of the midwest. The CB just pales in comparison. Both Midland radios are nice and loud, too.

569x

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Folsom, CA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Staller
Member #

So I picked up the MXT275 a couple of days ago and I am looking for recommendations on an antenna. I am new to the communications aspect so any help would be appreciated. Someone mentioned the Larsen 450 (which I like the idea of it being low profile) but I am not sure if that is a good route or not. I would prefer something that is not obnoxious and that gets caught up on stuff. Do any of you experts have a recommendations?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Reactions: HappyOurOverlanding

DanW

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Danville, Indiana
Member #

So I picked up the MXT275 a couple of days ago and I am looking for recommendations on an antenna. I am new to the communications aspect so any help would be appreciated. Someone mentioned the Larsen 450 (which I like the idea of it being low profile) but I am not sure if that is a good route or not. I would prefer something that is not obnoxious and that gets caught up on stuff. Do any of you experts have a recommendations?

Thanks!
I first tried the little antenna that came with it and was actually surprised at how well it did for its size. Since then, I've installed a Comet antenna with a trunk lip mount. I've not tried it for distance yet. It does stand tall, so I'd imagine it will reach out a good distance. If not, I have the Midland 6db antenna to fall back upon. Anyway, I like the mount and antenna. I also bought a Comet spring kit to keep it from breaking if it hits branches or brush. I bought the mount, antenna, and spring kit from antennafarm.com. They are a small family run outfit out of Montana.