Pathfinder I

Redmond, WA, USA
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Davis
Member #

View attachment 115307

The mx275 absolutely supports repeaters compliant with GMRS. There is a large private network of them in parts of the southeast that I’ve used while out and about. As mentioned above it also scans. I’ve been quite happy with mine to date.
Sorry, I should have been more clear, I think he meant that it could scan the Ham frequencies outside the GMRS bands. It doesn’t transmit on these frequencies but can pick up info from them - making it a usefull kind of “all band” scanner. I’ll look at the Scanner App as it will be useful in town, but my AT&T cellular is essentially worthless once you’re really in the Cascades. I can run Gaia with the internal GPS on my iPad or iPhone but most trips have virtually no cell coverage once I truly enter the Cascades.

Reactions: DanW

Maverick1701

Rank I

Off-Road Ranger I

Lubbock, TX, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Tiedemann
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG5KBG
I know BaoFeng has a bad rep amongst experienced Ham operators but I would like to pose this question. I was all set to buy a MXT275 when a guy I know who is a full time Overlander notes that they don’t scan and they can’t accommodate split tone repeaters. He uses a BTech Mini UV-25X4 purely for it’s scanning & notes “...helped me avoid all types of things. Bad weather, speed zones... everything from road closures to natural disasters. Get a lot of useful info in real-time that way (i.e., DOT, Law Enf, various emergency orgs)”. With that in mind I’m reconsidering & contemplating the BTECH Mobile GMRS-50X1. It gets a good review from Miklor (Review BTech GMRS-50X1 Mobile - Miklor). Please comment away! I’m trying to guide my local group into GMRS & would appreciate the guidance. I also wouldn’t mind hearing what you guys think are the best handhelds to accompany a GMRS? Thanks in advance!
I have seen that radio on amazon. If you pick up one, let us know how you like it

Reactions: RainGoat

systemdelete

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Nashville, TN
First Name
Erik
Last Name
Rumbaugh
Member #

The UV-25x4 is a ham radio, it is not only capable of scanning frequencies outside the GMRS range it will also transmit on them. Aside from that it requires programming before it’s really usable on GMRS. Adding other channels could get you in trouble should you transmit on them, even by accident(especially if you aren’t a HAM). The midland options are very solid off the shelf options for members wanting turnkey coms on GMRS while out and about that outperforms typical GMRS handhelds.

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
The FCC boogeyman isn't hiding in the bushes waiting or you to transmit on your non GMRS radios. No one on the other end can tell and the FCC has much larger fish to fry. It took them 9 years and 14 NALs before they took any real action against multiple well known and documented offenders on the HF bands. Even then all they did was confiscate their equipment and level sub 1000 dollar fines against them. They have zero "Fs" to give about GMRS or FRS or any other so I wouldn't sweat it.

I've had very little luck getting my local Jeep Club to move from CB to HAM but have had better luck with GMRS. Haven't been real impressed with the Midland units for the cost. There are lower cost units with more features coming on the market though from the Chinese companies. Btech has certified a modded version of their UV50X2 for GMRS use. I have their UV50X2 in my Jeep, it replaced my Yeasu FT90R. I enjoy it quite a bit.

KK6RBI/WQYH678

RainGoat

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Redmond, WA, USA
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Btech has certified a modded version of their UV50X2 for GMRS use. I have their UV50X2 in my Jeep, it replaced my Yeasu FT90R. I enjoy it quite a bit.
KK6RBI/WQYH678
How long have you had the UV50X2? Clearly it’s a good sign for the UV50X1 that you have liked the preceding Ham unit.

Continuing just a little off-topic, I take it you choose the UV50X2 over the UV-25X4? I imagine Max power is one reason but I’m looking at interior logistics issues & the smaller size of the UV-25X4 is nice. Any other reasons you preferred the UV50X2?

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
How long have you had the UV50X2? Clearly it’s a good sign for the UV50X1 that you have liked the preceding Ham unit.

Continuing just a little off-topic, I take it you choose the UV50X2 over the UV-25X4? I imagine Max power is one reason but I’m looking at interior logistics issues & the smaller size of the UV-25X4 is nice. Any other reasons you preferred the UV50X2?
Mainly the extra power, I've had it for a little over a year. The 50 watt claim is actually kind of low according to my meter. It reads 60-70 watts on high. Typically closer to 70 on VHF and 60ish on UHF. I keep it set on low because pumping out max power doesn't take long for the chassis to get warm. One thing I miss about the FT90R that was in there before was the multiple power options on the FT90R. I could run that radio anywhere from 5 watts to 50 watts, this is why it lives in my solar generator as a field radio. The UV50X2 will only run high and low with low being down around 20ish watts.

I didn't have a space issue with my mounting since I went overhead with it but I was considering the UV25 for the wife's van due to space constraints. FWIW I rarely run my UV50X2 on high power so the smaller 25 watt unit probably would have performed just fine for me. As far as the X4 vs the X2 for the UV25, I've never needed to be in the 220 band for anythign so it's something I've never really looked for in a radio.

Reactions: RainGoat and DanW

DanW

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Danville, Indiana
Member #

Mainly the extra power, I've had it for a little over a year. The 50 watt claim is actually kind of low according to my meter. It reads 60-70 watts on high. Typically closer to 70 on VHF and 60ish on UHF. I keep it set on low because pumping out max power doesn't take long for the chassis to get warm. One thing I miss about the FT90R that was in there before was the multiple power options on the FT90R. I could run that radio anywhere from 5 watts to 50 watts, this is why it lives in my solar generator as a field radio. The UV50X2 will only run high and low with low being down around 20ish watts.

I didn't have a space issue with my mounting since I went overhead with it but I was considering the UV25 for the wife's van due to space constraints. FWIW I rarely run my UV50X2 on high power so the smaller 25 watt unit probably would have performed just fine for me. As far as the X4 vs the X2 for the UV25, I've never needed to be in the 220 band for anythign so it's something I've never really looked for in a radio.
How loud is the speaker? One of the reasons I went the the MXT275 is because it has speakers in both the chassis and the microphone. Dos the microphone have a speaker in the UV50x2?

Reactions: RainGoat

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
It does not. The internal speaker is plenty loud in my XJ. I still went to an external on the left side of my dash though. Mainly because i had it on the shelf from a previous Jeep lol.

Reactions: RainGoat and DanW

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
They are shipping. I received my radio yesterday.....
View attachment 62189
So I am going over this thread, as this is the model I keep coming back to. I now have my license for GMRS, and my question is......it has been out for 14+ months now, and what are your impressions.

(A) Has it met your expectations for ease of use, distance with the included baby vs say the optional 6dB optional antenna?

(B) Reviews have mentioned a couple of shortcomings etc. Do you know of any you have encountered, or heard about from others with this unit?

And last, for everyone viewing this thread, is this still the first generation model, or has Midland tweaked the radio, due to users input......aka....a 2nd gen release. I saw that other newly released MTX unit models have been fixed/upgraded into gen 2 models within 12-14 months of initial release onto the market. I like this model for it's integrated mic, vs the other inexpensive offerings due to not having to take my eyes off the road, when adjusting the radio, by looking down. My CB, will be more of a set and forget unit, once I purchase and install a GMRS radio unit. Then it will be onward to a HAM test and license down the road.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EDIT:

My intention is for GRMS to become my main Comm unit in the future, allowing for better/clearer transmissions. This when coupled with handheld FRMS units, will allow for great flexibility between vehicles or spotters etc. Keeping my CB, along with at least a HAM walkie talkie down the road, will allow for the best spectrum of coverage for those who have different Comm systems.

Thus my looking at micro type units which have small footprints in my trucks cabin, due to the limited space. A concern most of us can sympathize with. I will post sometime in the not to distant future in....."the vehicle interior thread", when completed.
1567892979384.png 1567893071217.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Downs

DanW

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Danville, Indiana
Member #

So I am going over this thread, as this is the model I keep coming back to. I now have my license for GMRS, and my question is......it has been out for 14+ months now, and what are your impressions.

(A) Has it met your expectations for ease of use, distance with the included baby vs say the optional 6dB optional antenna?

(B) Reviews have mentioned a couple of shortcomings etc. Do you know of any you have encountered, or heard about from others with this unit?

And last, for everyone viewing this thread, is this still the first generation model, or has Midland tweaked the radio, due to users input......aka....a 2nd gen release. I saw that other newly released MTX unit models have been fixed/upgraded into gen 2 models within 12-14 months of initial release onto the market. I like this model for it's integrated mic, vs the other inexpensive offerings due to not having to take my eyes off the road, when adjusting the radio, by looking down. My CB, will be more of a set and forget unit, once I purchase and install a GMRS radio unit. Then it will be onward to a HAM test and license down the road.
Mine is one of the first production batch and it has been flawless. I set it so both the base and handset speakers are on and it gives excellent volume, which is a big deal in a Jeep with the top down or doors off. The range is very good, but I haven't really stretched it out in a flat place with few obstructions. I did use it in Moab and Colorado with a buddy with an MXT15 and it reached over crests and around mountains better than I thought it would. I ran a taller antenna from another company, but I think the 6db antenna from Midland may actually give superior performance. It is at least as good. I did with the long antenna, receive transmissions from downtown Indianapolis fairly clarly when I was about 15 miles south on I65. I have no idea of the power of the transmitter, but it was some kind of handheld and was being used for officials for a running event, so it was probably commercial grade. I didn't talk, but only received. I was very impressed. I know these things all advertise 30+ miles, but that has to be across water. In the real world, it won't be close, but it still blows the doors off a CB, by a wide, wide margin.

TheBronze

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Montebello, CA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Washburn
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6GBW
Service Branch
US Army
Just wondering, do most of you use privacy tones with the GMRS radios or do you run with carrier squelch so you can hear everyone?

B

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
Just wondering, do most of you use privacy tones with the GMRS radios or do you run with carrier squelch so you can hear everyone?

B
I dont bother with tones normally unless im talking though a repeater. Id rather be able to hear folks and know im not walking over someone. If im going out with a group that has GMRS we may run tones just depends on how much random noise were getting.

TheBronze

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Montebello, CA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Washburn
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6GBW
Service Branch
US Army
Downs, that was my thoughts exactly. In the ham world I mostly use Motorola radios. I was initially going to run a convert-a-comm with a Moto XTS5000 on GMRS and Ham frequencies. But then the thought occurred to me about being able to change the PL tone on the fly. I may end up putting in one of those Midland MXT275's and running my Ham stuff on just handhelds. I belong to a group that has a pretty extensive analog and DMR system here in the Los Angeles area. I also have a couple of Yaesu HT's that I can use for programming on the fly. I'm trying to keep it simple in the Jeep since it's never really secure.

Rank II

Enthusiast III

El Paso, Texas
First Name
Z
Last Name
Varela
Rumor has it that these new FRS/GMRS that are replacing CB's have built in tracking chips or beacons.... is this true?

TheBronze

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Montebello, CA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Washburn
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6GBW
Service Branch
US Army
No, if they did the internet guru's that do reviews would have located them immediately. Besides, at the price point these radios are made at there's no way.

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
The FCC boogeyman isn't hiding in the bushes waiting or you to transmit on your non GMRS radios. No one on the other end can tell and the FCC has much larger fish to fry. It took them 9 years and 14 NALs before they took any real action against multiple well known and documented offenders on the HF bands. Even then all they did was confiscate their equipment and level sub 1000 dollar fines against them. They have zero "Fs" to give about GMRS or FRS or any other so I wouldn't sweat it.

I've had very little luck getting my local Jeep Club to move from CB to HAM but have had better luck with GMRS. Haven't been real impressed with the Midland units for the cost. There are lower cost units with more features coming on the market though from the Chinese companies. Btech has certified a modded version of their UV50X2 for GMRS use. I have their UV50X2 in my Jeep, it replaced my Yeasu FT90R. I enjoy it quite a bit.

KK6RBI/WQYH678
This......
BTECH Mobile UV-50X2 50 Watt Dual Band Base, Mobile Radio: 136-174mhz (VHF) 400-520mhz (UHF) Amateur (Ham)
......is the same, or is the modded version, different from what you referenced in your post......................... "Btech has certified a modded version of their UV50X2 for GMRS use".??????
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How does this model compare to the Any Tone AT-778UV? Can it legally do what you referenced for GMRS use, as a comparable unit to the BTECH. I want a GMRS compatible radio, and have looked at the dedicated Midland MXT 275 GMRS radio as the possible choice.

Have a gifted on shelf Boefeng handheld for future use when licensed for it. All these 'micro' units could fit, but would prefer if possible 1 mobile unit, with a handheld 2nd for the other. My BIL is a Ham, and pushing the dual band over a dedicated GMRS unit. At this point in my journey, I like a simpler turn-key option if possible, as has been mentioned by posters to this thread.

Not trying to answer my own question, but looking for opinions from those who have already traveled this road to their goal.

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

@Desert Runner the "modded" version of the Btech mobile radio is locked to transmit only on GMRS frequencies though it can received VHF/UHF (same frequency ranges as their ham model). From what I have read the software is locked from programming TX but you can use CHIRP to save RX frequencies. It can also monitor 4 frequencies "at the same time".

How does this model compare to the Any Tone AT-778UV? Can it legally do what you referenced for GMRS use, as a comparable unit to the BTECH.
Can it do GMRS? Yes. Is it a legal GMRS radio? No.

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
@Desert Runner the "modded" version of the Btech mobile radio is locked to transmit only on GMRS frequencies though it can received VHF/UHF (same frequency ranges as their ham model). From what I have read the software is locked from programming TX but you can use CHIRP to save RX frequencies. It can also monitor 4 frequencies "at the same time".

Can it do GMRS? Yes. Is it a legal GMRS radio? No.
Thanks, I didn't think it was, but I'm still learning, that is why I asked. On the GRMS radio...say the MXT 275, is there a better antenna than the Midland 6dB optional antenna? I will need a NMO mount, as it will replace the MURS antenna and unit when purchased. Have not seen a spring version so far. I want that if possible for durability reasons, as the Midland in reviews, while good for use, has been known to be a little fragile in off-road use.
logo.png

TheBronze

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Montebello, CA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Washburn
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6GBW
Service Branch
US Army
Hello Desert Runner, I saw your question and thought I'd give you an option. I have extensive experience with a fleet of vehicles using PCTel Phantom antennas. They are very small (about 4") tall. They use an NMO mount and work best when they are mounted directly into the sheet metal of the body. On my last jeep I have one mounted on the cowl in front of the passenger. The metal creates a ground plan that makes the antenna perform really well. The idea of putting a 5/8 wave antenna on a hood or tail light mount won't likely give you the performance you want. Those antennas need a ground plan to function properly. A smaller antenna that is on a ground plan will out perform it every time. If you want to go with a hood, lip, tail light mount to avoid drilling holes then the antenna to look for is a 1/2 wave design. They aren't as dependent on the ground plan.

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

I don't have any first hand experience with the midland antenna or any other GMRS mobile antenna so hopefully others that do will chime in, however I do see the Comet CA-2x4sr mentioned quite often. It is NMO, you can get it with a spring, and it can fold over (manually). Though it is a ham radio antenna it is wide band and they advertise it as having <2.0:1 SWR on half the GMRS frequencies (462MHz) and the SWR likely wouldn't be too bad on the other 467MHz channels.

Reactions: Desert Runner