• HTML tutorial

Enthusiast I

Pepperell, MA, USA
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Harrington
Hi All,

If you are like me and live in the often congested areas of the northeast, or more specifically New England Region of the US, you may find it difficult to find places to overland, wheel, or camp. If you live in or close enough to NH you may already know about or have heard of Class VI Roads. A Class VI Road is defined as a road or highway that has not been maintained by the State of New Hampshire or municipality in at least the past 5 years. They must also remain accessible to the public. Sometimes (not always) these roads can lead to some great off road adventures if you know where they are or how to find them, which I am starting to figure out.

I recently stumbled upon a list of NH Class VI roads in my searchings of the inter webs for places to take my truck wheeling or overlanding. The list is a .pdf document that someone shared in a forum through Drop Box. I’ve been using that file along with Gaia GPS to conduct map reconnaissance to find roads might look like promising places to go check out. It always feels like a gamble when trying to figure out if these roads are still in fact on public land, which is also where Gaia GPS comes in handy. One layer that comes with the subscription version of Gaia that I have found very useful is the private lands layer, which helps to determine where private and public land boundaries are. I am finding that most of these potential trails/roads that I have mapped out so far are in fact on public land. If you are interested in checking out the list for yourself it is available at this link: Adobe Acrobat or Class6RoadsNH.pdf

I currently reside just over the boarder in Massachusetts close to the city of Nashua, NH. I am currently mapping roads in my area and working my way out from there. If you would like to join in the fun by helping me find a way to share these roads and routes or even link up and go out to check out some of these places, definitely let me know! Happy trails!

lgifford156

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Westminster, MA, USA
First Name
Lisa
Last Name
Gifford
Just chuckled to myself, I read that list and I have stumbled upon quite a few of them just by looking around, I also have found a good trail out in Rutland, VT area. North Woods in Maine provides some good overlanding but in my opinion has become quite populated in the past few years and especially during COVID. But it is always worth the drive, my family has a house in Eustis so I started exploring last fall but there was already snow on the ground. I live in Westminster, MA near Rindge, NH. I have come across Royalston Falls Rd, this cuts over the mass line, has a fun river bed crossing, quite rocky, the bridge is blown out so the mass side is really only accessible by 4X4 and hiking. Another notable one I do often is Bean Hill Rd in rindge. This has a good size pond crossing and then rocky terrain, it’s a fairly quick trail but also has a hiking trial that goes down this trail and off to the side. I normally stop by kimballs ice cream after this. To my knowledge Gap Mountain road is just a dirt road and I haven’t seen any good off roading. Although I know what I’m doing this weekend now.

lgifford156

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Westminster, MA, USA
First Name
Lisa
Last Name
Gifford
Also additionally there are hours of trails in Winchendon and Ashburnham, MA. Not sure how legal the ones in Winchendon are as the entrances are owned privately, my understanding is as long as users keep them clean we are allowed to keep using them but Ashburnham’s are unmaintained roads open to public And connect into the winchendon trails.

Enthusiast I

Pepperell, MA, USA
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Harrington
Hey Bryan, come up here to Maine if you want dirt roads. Specifically North Maine Woods. I'm always looking for other Overlanders who want to explore our vast woodlands. Give me a shout. Tom W
Tom, I just recently heard of the north Maine woods. I used to go up to Franklin when I was in high school with my friend who’s family has a house there and jump on the trails with our four wheelers. So I know Maine has a really good network of dirt roads and trails. I definitely want to check out the North Maine Woods so I’m definitely going to take you up on it one of these days! Seems like one of the best places to go in the New England area.

Enthusiast I

Pepperell, MA, USA
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Harrington
Just chuckled to myself, I read that list and I have stumbled upon quite a few of them just by looking around, I also have found a good trail out in Rutland, VT area. North Woods in Maine provides some good overlanding but in my opinion has become quite populated in the past few years and especially during COVID. But it is always worth the drive, my family has a house in Eustis so I started exploring last fall but there was already snow on the ground. I live in Westminster, MA near Rindge, NH. I have come across Royalston Falls Rd, this cuts over the mass line, has a fun river bed crossing, quite rocky, the bridge is blown out so the mass side is really only accessible by 4X4 and hiking. Another notable one I do often is Bean Hill Rd in rindge. This has a good size pond crossing and then rocky terrain, it’s a fairly quick trail but also has a hiking trial that goes down this trail and off to the side. I normally stop by kimballs ice cream after this. To my knowledge Gap Mountain road is just a dirt road and I haven’t seen any good off roading. Although I know what I’m doing this weekend now.
This is really good info. I’m not far from you, I live right over in Pepperell so we should try to link up and check out some of the trails in Rindge and Jeffrey. I’ve checked out some of the unmaintained roads in Ashburnham, specifically Old County Road, which surprisingly did not disappoint. The entrance I used was right off route 101 and was public accessible. That road leads to several other trails of varying degrees of difficulty. It also looks like there are some good camping spots back there that people use. But hit me up if you’d like to link up and go recon some of these trails/roads.

Reactions: ThundahBeagle

RJ Howell

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Auburn, NH USA
First Name
RJ
Last Name
Howell
Member #

Did a quick look at the list and see several that are now gated.. Mostly gone to hiking trails. I'm working on a North South route and have the basic's in play now. Takes 4 days to run Manchester to Pittsburg! I started filming and talking about some it on the last run, Berlin to Pittsburg. Byways no Highways Playlist

I run doing the week (retired) and usually leave on Mon/Tues (depending expected duration). Any of the over night runs I do could just as easily be day runs, just have to plan on road time to get there and home again. I'm hoping to get out next Monday and re-run/tweak my Day 1. It's the longest day... Ends in Osceola View Campground

WMNF.Screen Shot 2020-08-13 at 1.33.58 PM.png Screen Shot 2020-08-13 at 1.34.18 PM.png

Last edited:

Aloha_Cruiser

Rank II

Enthusiast II

New Jersey, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
S.
This is some good information, since I'll be in New Hampshire October 16-18, I just booked a campsite for a those days at Jericho Mountain State Park. It looks like they have a few more available.
How close are you guys to there? What sort of trails are in the area? I heard there are some fairly new trails nearby.
If you have any tips or ideas on places to explore. It's going to be fall soon so some nice look out points or waterfalls to see the leaves would be awesome.

wanderlosh

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Germantown, TN, USA
First Name
Josh
Last Name
Carter
Member #

+1 to what Aloha said. My wife and I will be up there from the 11-16 and would really like to find some places to camp/explore for a few days.

Sneaks

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Maine
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Swenson
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC1MUR
Thanks for posting that, though I'm not sure on some of those. Garrison Rd in Dover - AFAIK - is maintained since Garrison Elementary School is on it as well as at least a dozen houses, an assisted living center, and has both a condo association and a private Christian school off it. Tuttle Rd and Spruce Rd are definitely residential roads, Old Colony Rd is about 100' long, and County Farm Rd has the county jail, sheriff's office, a rehab center, and an animal shelter on it. Pretty sure Cold Springs Rd is private. Durgin Ln in Portsmouth is commercial, two hotels, a church, PepBoys, two shopping centers, and connects to the Portsmouth\Newington business district on both ends. About half of the ones on there in Durham are questionable.

Trust, but verify.

afpino

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

JoySee
First Name
Ace
Last Name
Pino
Member #

Hi There, We would be roaming soon (Mid-Oct) from Mt. Washington (NH) towards Quoddy Head State Park/Eastport (ME) and head down to Acadia National Park (ME) then proceed to Kingdom Trail (VT) for some MTB riding and would love to insert some unplanned trips in-between. Will try to be camping in the woods all the time and would really appreciate any nice places to check out along the way. Thanks.

Reactions: ThundahBeagle

RJ Howell

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Auburn, NH USA
First Name
RJ
Last Name
Howell
Member #

If your coming into Mt Washington from the west I would pass through Jefferson Notch and use Dolly Copp Rd to cut over to Mt Washington. Use Base Rd out of Faybian to get to the Jefferson Notch Road over to Rt2 and then onto Dolly Copp. Both being dirt roads and easily run. Don't bother with Mt Clinton Rd.. Sections are tarred and one of the worst tarred roads in the state.. trust me, not worth your time.

Screen Shot 2020-09-24 at 8.01.33 AM.png

North end of Jefferson Notch Road has roadside campsites for free! Some of the few in NH still around!

I routed north from there to hit the logging roads out of Berlin and work my way to Errol NH. You could again work a route east from the logging roads, but you would be spending probably too much time attempting to reach Quoddy Head.

Reactions: afpino

CharlieS

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Vermont, USA
First Name
CHARLES
Last Name
SPRIGG
Hey, I'm in VT, not NH, but am always interested in some good roads in the Northeast or connecting for a group ride.

afpino

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

JoySee
First Name
Ace
Last Name
Pino
Member #

If your coming into Mt Washington from the west I would pass through Jefferson Notch and use Dolly Copp Rd to cut over to Mt Washington. Use Base Rd out of Faybian to get to the Jefferson Notch Road over to Rt2 and then onto Dolly Copp. Both being dirt roads and easily run. Don't bother with Mt Clinton Rd.. Sections are tarred and one of the worst tarred roads in the state.. trust me, not worth your time.

View attachment 171137

North end of Jefferson Notch Road has roadside campsites for free! Some of the few in NH still around!

I routed north from there to hit the logging roads out of Berlin and work my way to Errol NH. You could again work a route east from the logging roads, but you would be spending probably too much time attempting to reach Quoddy Head.
Thanks RJ, Will definitely take this Jefferson Notch route and for the trip towards Quoddy Head, we might have no choice but to use US-2/SR-100 to Bangor then see which is faster until we reach Qouddy. After Qouddy we will be heading down using US-1 towards Acadia then camp somewhere then continue US-1 south until we reach Reds Eats (just for the Lobster Roll) then head back to Kingdom Trail... Were flexible on the dates but we will try to hit all of these in 6 days. Any nice local spots or sceneries to pass by while we are nearby would be appreciated. Again Thanks for sharing.

Reactions: RJ Howell

RJ Howell

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Auburn, NH USA
First Name
RJ
Last Name
Howell
Member #

Thanks RJ, Will definitely take this Jefferson Notch route and for the trip towards Quoddy Head, we might have no choice but to use US-2/SR-100 to Bangor then see which is faster until we reach Qouddy. After Qouddy we will be heading down using US-1 towards Acadia then camp somewhere then continue US-1 south until we reach Reds Eats (just for the Lobster Roll) then head back to Kingdom Trail... Were flexible on the dates but we will try to hit all of these in 6 days. Any nice local spots or sceneries to pass by while we are nearby would be appreciated. Again Thanks for sharing.
Would love to hear where you tuck into near Quoddy or Arcadia. On both those I had to overnight at Chez-Walmart... I didn't know my Gaia program then like I do now or I would have explored out a bit more for a place. Actually tried to talk the folks working Quoddy to let me stay right there.. No Joy.. Can't tell ya how many Lighthouses in Canada I have stayed at..

Good run ahead! Enjoy and please update us!

Reactions: afpino

RJ Howell

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Auburn, NH USA
First Name
RJ
Last Name
Howell
Member #

I'm headed back up to Pittsburg NH on Tuesday to see just how the foliage is really doing. It's claimed at 30%.. I'll do my run from Errol into Pittsburg by dirt. If you wish to see the route, it's on my FB page as a playlist "into Pittsburg". There is another route I wish to explore that runs slightly different, but still all dirt. I'll report back later this week on the run.

You wish to see the route? Pick into Pittsburg to view. In about a week the Berlin to Errol route should be real nice!

afpino

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

JoySee
First Name
Ace
Last Name
Pino
Member #

Would love to hear where you tuck into near Quoddy or Arcadia. On both those I had to overnight at Chez-Walmart... I didn't know my Gaia program then like I do now or I would have explored out a bit more for a place. Actually tried to talk the folks working Quoddy to let me stay right there.. No Joy.. Can't tell ya how many Lighthouses in Canada I have stayed at..

Good run ahead! Enjoy and please update us!
Will do and will get back here after the trip to let you know where we stayed and how is it. We will try to stay on free campsites as much as possible but we have some folks who have same passion as we do who cannot join us due to work but would be giving us guidance on where we will be as they will try to replicate where we roam. If ever you get bored and will wander around Mid-October and see us please stop by for some refreshment :). Attached is my rig for reference.

Attachments

RJ Howell

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Auburn, NH USA
First Name
RJ
Last Name
Howell
Member #

Will do and will get back here after the trip to let you know where we stayed and how is it. We will try to stay on free campsites as much as possible but we have some folks who have same passion as we do who cannot join us due to work but would be giving us guidance on where we will be as they will try to replicate where we roam. If ever you get bored and will wander around Mid-October and see us please stop by for some refreshment :). Attached is my rig for reference.
I shall, if so nearby!

afpino

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

JoySee
First Name
Ace
Last Name
Pino
Member #

I'm headed back up to Pittsburg NH on Tuesday to see just how the foliage is really doing. It's claimed at 30%.. I'll do my run from Errol into Pittsburg by dirt. If you wish to see the route, it's on my FB page as a playlist "into Pittsburg". There is another route I wish to explore that runs slightly different, but still all dirt. I'll report back later this week on the run.

You wish to see the route? Pick into Pittsburg to view. In about a week the Berlin to Errol route should be real nice!
That would be nice to know what actual foliage is so we don't have any false expectation. Also will watch your youtube videos tonight as I am currently skipping in-and-out in work...

Reactions: RJ Howell

RJ Howell

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Auburn, NH USA
First Name
RJ
Last Name
Howell
Member #

That would be nice to know what actual foliage is so we don't have any false expectation. Also will watch your youtube videos tonight as I am currently skipping in-and-out in work...
Far from a pro at video, so keep that in mind.. I am expecting some good color in the area I'm heading for. Pittsburg NH has changed so much over the years, yet what I'm starting to see is a return to what it used to be. Thats good for what we wish to see!

I found an interesting route that I wish to expand upon that I have always wished to do. By doing so earlier this year, I saw some additional routes of possibility into Maine. Being mostly logging roads!