Member III

Winston-Salem, NC, USA
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Weiss
Member #

Buy what you like.
Android would be cheaper, give you more options in hardware and have more apps.
I went iOS because that’s the ecosystem I have.
I already have a surface pro. But from what I have seen you are correct there seems to be more software options with Android. Since I was considering the Overlander I guess the expense of a Android tablet is minimal. Just seems redundant if I can use a full laptop/tablet computer like the surface.

Jeffrey Dill

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Greenville, SC, USA
First Name
Jeffrey
Last Name
Dill
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W4FOZ
I can probably answer that from their video's. Simple to use, Don't need do deal with all those companies and web sites, integration of software and inreach integration.

What attracted me to it is the simplicity of an all in one unit. I am learning the reality is there is no such thing. Everyone has there own particular needs. I don't even know what mine are right now. Let alone the future. The locked device probably bothers me the most. I don't use Apple products because of this proprietary BS.

I understand why they do it as people download all kinds of garbage that crashes devices. They don't want to be responsible for troubleshooting. But it irks me.

So now I need to figure out the best way to use my Android phone and MS Surface tablet. Software, Maps, GPS antenna upgrade Inreach or similar for emergencies.

I'm looking forward to Expo East. I have signed up for all the classes on this subject. Hopefully after that I can set up a semi-complete system for long term travel.
Yup, locked down devices irk me as well. It is attractive to a lot of folks because it plays into the desire for something that "just works out of the box." And for those who that does work for, that's great. But ultimately, it's trading short term gains for long term usefulness.

And FYI, in response to your comment about it having inReach integration, your current Android smartphone (or for anyone with an iPhone), you already have that same level of integration. You can already Bluetooth pair an inReach device to a smartphone or tablet, in exactly the same way as it works on the Overlander. Based on a quick search, it doesn't look like the MS tablets have the Earthmate app available, which you use to do the syncing, but that information could be out of date.

Looking forward to hearing about what you learn from the Expo classes!

Jeffrey Dill

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Greenville, SC, USA
First Name
Jeffrey
Last Name
Dill
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W4FOZ
But from what I have seen you are correct there seems to be more software options with Android.
Yeah, both Android and Apple have much more active developer communities than Microsoft as far as mobile apps go, so your software options on either platform are virtually endless.

DrivingTacoLoco

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Winston-Salem, NC, USA
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Weiss
Member #

Yup, locked down devices irk me as well. It is attractive to a lot of folks because it plays into the desire for something that "just works out of the box." And for those who that does work for, that's great. But ultimately, it's trading short term gains for long term usefulness.

And FYI, in response to your comment about it having inReach integration, your current Android smartphone (or for anyone with an iPhone), you already have that same level of integration. You can already Bluetooth pair an inReach device to a smartphone or tablet, in exactly the same way as it works on the Overlander. Based on a quick search, it doesn't look like the MS tablets have the Earthmate app available, which you use to do the syncing, but that information could be out of date.

Looking forward to hearing about what you learn from the Expo classes!
is Earthmate what you suggest?

Jeffrey Dill

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Greenville, SC, USA
First Name
Jeffrey
Last Name
Dill
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W4FOZ
I see that it's the links software. I can use it on my phone. Anything other than Inreach? Or is that the way to go?
I can't speak to that personally, as I don't currently have any satellite communication devices, but the inReach devices do get really good reviews. And their subscription plans are pretty reasonable - especially if you're only planning on using it for emergencies, which the cheapest plan would cover you for.

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
Should I buy an Android tablet instead of using my Surface Pro?
You will have a hard time finding apps for the Surface Pro. Hopefully yours you can load whatever software you like. Some of the cheaper ones can only load app from the Microsoft App store which is very limiting. This app has been around forever. I haven't used it in 10 years. Official OziExplorer Web Site - GPS Mapping Software for Tracking and Navigation. Supports Garmin, Magellan, Lowrance and GPS

As for Apple vs Android. Nearly everyone I know has been happy with switching to Apple. Unless you are a developer, like tweaking stuff , and know how to do custom installs etc you don't really need to presumed "flexibility" of an Android device. The user interface is so much better on Apple. Gaia is better in iOS.

Apples "locking down" of its devices makes them more secure. It also gives developers better tools to make great looking apps. Android suffers from similar issues as Windows. It "works" on any device. All types of screen sizes, cpus, ram, and so on. This makes is way more difficult for developers to build nice looking apps. Anyway, I probably won't change anyones mind on that subject. I have an Android phone as a back up, have owned a Nexus tablet and neither has ever made me want to switch to Android.

But as mentioned buy what you want to buy.

Yroundrdn

Rank II

Enthusiast III

San Diego, CA, USA
First Name
Ben
I'm using and in-reach explorer with an i-pad or i-phone in a mount. All the maps are free, the apps are great, and you can text for help or hit the panic button if needed. Cost is minimal and a must in my opinion. You can also throw the inreach in a back pack for a day hike as needed.

DrivingTacoLoco

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Winston-Salem, NC, USA
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Weiss
Member #

You will have a hard time finding apps for the Surface Pro. Hopefully yours you can load whatever software you like. Some of the cheaper ones can only load app from the Microsoft App store which is very limiting. This app has been around forever. I haven't used it in 10 years. Official OziExplorer Web Site - GPS Mapping Software for Tracking and Navigation. Supports Garmin, Magellan, Lowrance and GPS

As for Apple vs Android. Nearly everyone I know has been happy with switching to Apple. Unless you are a developer, like tweaking stuff , and know how to do custom installs etc you don't really need to presumed "flexibility" of an Android device. The user interface is so much better on Apple. Gaia is better in iOS.

Apples "locking down" of its devices makes them more secure. It also gives developers better tools to make great looking apps. Android suffers from similar issues as Windows. It "works" on any device. All types of screen sizes, cpus, ram, and so on. This makes is way more difficult for developers to build nice looking apps. Anyway, I probably won't change anyones mind on that subject. I have an Android phone as a back up, have owned a Nexus tablet and neither has ever made me want to switch to Android.

But as mentioned buy what you want to buy.
I'll be keeping my Surface pro. I found an emulator for android (Blue Stacks) it's working perfectly.

Reactions: 1Louder

yj4roks

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Fallbrook, CA, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Chase
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6FWD
It's hard to tell in the description, but does anyone know if the display is viewable in sunlight? I'm not always in my truck but rather in an open Jeep...no top, doors, etc. I have had troubles seeing the screen on a tablet or phone.

DanW

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Danville, Indiana
Member #

It's hard to tell in the description, but does anyone know if the display is viewable in sunlight? I'm not always in my truck but rather in an open Jeep...no top, doors, etc. I have had troubles seeing the screen on a tablet or phone.
I've got a sunshade for my Magellan TRX7 that should work well with this. The screen seems reasonably bright, but direct sunlight will certainly be a challenge for it.

I just received an Overlander last night. Picked it up brand new on Ebay for $450. I wasn't going to be able to stomach the $699 or even $599 Black Friday price, so I got lucky. Anyway, I paired my Delorme (Garmin) Inreach to it last night and it was easy and flawless. This will make using the Inreach for text messaging MUCH easier.

I've got the BC-35 wireless camera coming today, too. I'm mounting it underneath my Jeep, above and in front of the transfer case skid plate, so that I can see front tire placement when off-road. Hopefully it will work as I imagine. You can mount up to 4 cameras, so if it does work well, I'll mount another behind the skid plate to see the rear tires.

I'll check to see if the sunshade fits today.

Reactions: yj4roks

DanW

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Danville, Indiana
Member #

Hot garbage!
Gaia + iPad mini for the win!
Garbage? I don't think so. Certainly Gaia and Ipad has some advantages, but the Overlander has a couple, as well, such as 3D topo, up to 4 wireless cams, and the easy interface with the Inreach. The magnetic mount is very nice, too. It also has a nice database of public land, as well.

If the camera setup works well, it will be a game changer on the trail.

Actual use will tell the story, so for me the jury is out until I get it out in the wild. I'll tell the good, the bad, and the ugly when that happens, but the first impression is good, after farting around with it in the living room for a day. Garmin support is outstanding, too.

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
Garbage? I don't think so. Certainly Gaia and Ipad has some advantages, but the Overlander has a couple, as well, such as 3D topo, up to 4 wireless cams, and the easy interface with the Inreach. The magnetic mount is very nice, too. It also has a nice database of public land, as well.

If the camera setup works well, it will be a game changer on the trail.

Actual use will tell the story, so for me the jury is out until I get it out in the wild. I'll tell the good, the bad, and the ugly when that happens, but the first impression is good, after farting around with it in the living room for a day. Garmin support is outstanding, too.
Please update this when you have some miles on it. I was very disappointed with the Magellan and want to see something posted thats not from a journalist who was given it for free. For me, the Magellan was good until i used it for a while. Once the newness wore off and the problems started, I saw it for what it really was.

By the way, I'm assuming they used Android for the OS. Can you see if you can find the version and hardware spec if your able to access that? The basic spec I cant find listed anywhere. On my Magellan, the hardware was too old to use the operating system properly. It was barely able to keep up

Reactions: DanW

DanW

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Danville, Indiana
Member #

Please update this when you have some miles on it. I was very disappointed with the Magellan and want to see something posted thats not from a journalist who was given it for free. For me, the Magellan was good until i used it for a while. Once the newness wore off and the problems started, I saw it for what it really was.

By the way, I'm assuming they used Android for the OS. Can you see if you can find the version and hardware spec if your able to access that? The basic spec I cant find listed anywhere. On my Magellan, the hardware was too old to use the operating system properly. It was barely able to keep up
Sure! I've got a Magellan, too, and I'm less than thrilled with it. I did like it for snowmobiling in Michigan, though. Overall, it was a disappointment.

BCMoto

Rank IV

Influencer II

SF
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Agloro
Member #

I think im going to buy a galaxy tab and get the gaia app

DanW

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Danville, Indiana
Member #

wrapping up editing on a long term review of this unit today video should be up today or in morning on JailBreak Overlander on youtube
Do you have a BC 35 camera? Can it be mounted forward? I see nothing about this in the manual and it is surprising, since you can connect up to 4 BC 35 cameras. I'm hopeful the image can be corrected for front view and that it can be accessed on-demand.

I don't see the review yet, so I'm assuming it hasn't been posted. I'm looking forward to your review!

Reactions: RichieFromBoston

TrailHawkZ71

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Las Vegas, NV
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Howard-Dale
Member #

Interested to see how this performs. Have my eye on it, if it's a good solid product I could see coughing up the dough for it. Something like this would work well as opposed to say an iPad on a RAM mount (Patriot has limited front room and I almost always have a passenger with me. The RAM mount for the MK protrudes quite a bit into the passenger sitting area). Being able to suction mount this to my overly-large dash and not worry if it falls off and to the floor would be great.

Reactions: RichieFromBoston