Votes: 1 2.7%

• Total voters

DanW

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Danville, Indiana
Member #

it will be up this weekend srry for delay.
I am going to try and get the BC35 installed underneath this weekend. I'm dying to see how it does. I shared this idea with a Garmin rep in the Overlander division. I asked if they could flip the image for facing the camera forward. He said it won't do it now, but that a software change could make it happen. I highly encouraged them to consider it, as forward facing cameras are gaining popularity because they can be very useful. If they don't enable this, I'll just get used to it, but I think the 4 wireless camera capability of the Overlander could be a huge selling point for it and get some folks who've written it off to give it a second look.

Reactions: RichieFromBoston

Snic8156

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

North Dakota, USA
First Name
Connor
Last Name
S
Member #

Hey everyone. Basically reposting my post from another thread as I think it may help some of you out. Complete newb here, as it is my first day on this forum. I'd consider myself a tech geek, and reading through a couple of threads I keep seeing people trying to find the best compromise between handheld gps, tablets with Gaia, etc.

Forgive me if I've missed where someone else started this, but I wanted to confirm that I own a Garmin Overlander and it can run Gaia Premium too. No jailbreaking, hacking, or anything fancy required. Just use the web browser in the Garmin to search for and download the Gaia APK. In my experience so far, it works great for it.

I'm not sure that many folks realized this, but in addition to the built in apps, I really think it can serve as a true one size solution for most people, albeit expensive. Now if only In Reach was built in...

• Wow
Reactions: Graeman

Clay B

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

McCall, ID, USA
First Name
Clay
Last Name
Bradfield
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7TTA
Service Branch
US Army
Still leaning to, 'It's not worth it.' It only gets half the job done, and not even the important half. It doesn't have inReach functionality, but starts messing around with cameras? We're not all YouTubers. The only ones I've seen to date with positive reviews have been sponsored. Garmin has been disappointing with this release.

Reactions: M Rose and Brewbud

1pieceatatime

Rank 0

Traveler I

I asked if they could flip the image for facing the camera forward. He said it won't do it now, but that a software change could make it happen. I highly encouraged them to consider it, as forward facing cameras are gaining popularity because they can be very useful. If they don't enable this, I'll just get used to it, but I think the 4 wireless camera capability of the Overlander could be a huge selling point for it and get some folks who've written it off to give it a second look.
Looks like it is now possible, which was pretty much the my last hang up on cost vs. features, I’m going to get one of these now as soon as I can find it on sale for $600 or less like it was back before Christmas.

Reactions: DanW

DanW

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Danville, Indiana
Member #

Looks like it is now possible, which was pretty much the my last hang up on cost vs. features, I’m going to get one of these now as soon as I can find it on sale for $600 or less like it was back before Christmas.

I haven't had time to hook up the camera, but that is on the agenda this week, since we can't really do much else. I'll post up when I get it running. I'm pretty excited about the possibilities.

Clay B

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

McCall, ID, USA
First Name
Clay
Last Name
Bradfield
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7TTA
Service Branch
US Army
I'm sticking with my earlier post. I just don't see the point. It's a lot of money for very little difference. Cameras, etc., are for others. I'd rather experience it than record it. I'll stick to fishing.

DanW

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Danville, Indiana
Member #

I'm sticking with my earlier post. I just don't see the point. It's a lot of money for very little difference. Cameras, etc., are for others. I'd rather experience it than record it. I'll stick to fishing.
The camera isn't for sightseeing or recording. It is for spotting tire placement and differential clearance.

Clay B

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

McCall, ID, USA
First Name
Clay
Last Name
Bradfield
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7TTA
Service Branch
US Army
The camera isn't for sightseeing or recording. It is for spotting tire placement and differential clearance.
That's not changing my observation. Viewing the differential? If I was rock crawling at slow speed, maybe. Otherwise, I'm still not seeing the utility. I'll save the money.

DanW

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Danville, Indiana
Member #

That's not changing my observation. Viewing the differential? If I was rock crawling at slow speed, maybe. Otherwise, I'm still not seeing the utility. I'll save the money.
That's exactly what I'm doing. Rock crawling at slow speed. It is really the primary reason I bought it, with the secondary being the interface with the Garmin Inreach, which works very well. Each to his own. The nav features are ok, but redundant with what I already have. Still, I find the topo maps to be pretty good. If not for the camera capability and the Inreach interface, I'd agree and no way I would have purchased it.

Clay B

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

McCall, ID, USA
First Name
Clay
Last Name
Bradfield
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7TTA
Service Branch
US Army
That's exactly what I'm doing. Rock crawling at slow speed. It is really the primary reason I bought it, with the secondary being the interface with the Garmin Inreach, which works very well. Each to his own. The nav features are ok, but redundant with what I already have. Still, I find the topo maps to be pretty good. If not for the camera capability and the Inreach interface, I'd agree and no way I would have purchased it.
Sounds good. Things have to match what you're doing. That's probably the biggest 'gear' issue out there. There is so much available that making sure you understand what you need is absolutely the key to doing it right.

DanW

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Danville, Indiana
Member #

Sounds good. Things have to match what you're doing. That's probably the biggest 'gear' issue out there. There is so much available that making sure you understand what you need is absolutely the key to doing it right.
Yep, but I also got this one for a steal. No way I'd pay the full price or even close to it if I didn't have the specific need. They've placed it just too high to really compete with other options out there, most of which use tech we already own. I'm hoping they start discounting them or add useful features or a combo of both.

I've still not gotten around to putting the camera in, due to a hectic work schedule, but when I do, I'll be sure to post up the results.

Reactions: Clay B

DanW

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Danville, Indiana
Member #

Well, thanks to the crazy times in which we live, I finally took a moment to install the camera on the underside of my Jeep. It works incredibly well with the Overlander, providing a good picture and a rock solid wireless connection with no flickering or interference, at all. In fact, I can go anywhere in my house or yard and get a clear picture with the Overlander! Anyway, I mounted it slightly off center and in front of the T-case skid plate, facing forward. It turned out GREAT. I'm so pleased, I might mount another rear facing underneath to spot for the rear tires. Is it as good as a human spotter? No way, and it shouldn't be used where you really need another set of eyes. BUT, it is quite useful and when cresting a hill, gives great comfort as opposed to the blindness of only seeing the sky out your windshield! I've not used it yet for any technical off-roading, but I did test it out on some forest roads and found yet another use.....depth guage! I eased into a very deep puddle and was able to get more info on the depth as the camera became submerged. I could see where the water got over the front axle as I eased in.

Anyway, I've very pleased with the outcome. The reason I mounted it off-center was to locate it behind and in-line with the front differential pumpkin. That way, I can guage if a rock or obstruction will hit the camera, as it will hit the diff first. The diff hangs lower. The camera only hangs a few millimeters below the cross member and forward of the midpoint between the front and rear axles, to avoid hitting it when cresting a hill. I feel the vulnerability is acceptible, as I saw no scrapes or dents anywhere close to it, so it would have survived Moab and other places I've gone before installing it. If it does ever get rubbed off or beat up, it won't bankrupt me to replace it. It just plugs right in to the power source, so I could replace it right on the trail, if I had a spare. (I don't. Too expensive for that.)

Anyway, below is a pic. BTW, hats off and three cheers to Garmin! They implemented my suggestion of flipping the image for forward placement! So, this unit that didnt' seem to have features that matched its price, suddenly has a competitive advantage with the unique capability of adding up to 4 (maybe more?) cameras to your vehicle! This is a huge deal, especially to those who often travel alone! It not only offers an advantage for the trail, but it could also offer security, as it is all wireless and you can have your Garmin in your tent or camper and access the live images! I direct wired to the battery, so I can pull up the camera any time and within at least 50 feet or so of the Jeep.

Like I said, I may add another underneath, facing rear, and I may add another up front, in the grille. We'll see. But for now, I really like this one and find it very useful.

The lighting was terrible in my garage for this one. It is much better out in the daytime on the trail. I'll try and get a pic later of that. But here is a closeup. The pic really isn't as good as seeing it in person.

DanW

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Danville, Indiana
Member #

I'll also note the advantage of it being wireless to the Garmin.....No worries about running wires through the firewall or into the cab! The range is good enough to put a camera on a trailer, too, even on the back of a very long one!