Greenville, SC, USA
First Name
Jeffrey
Last Name
Dill
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W4FOZ
The new model Subaru’s have what they call X-Mode. It recalibrates the gearing & engine mapping. It softens the throttle response & by using lower gear ratios it generates extra power on the wheels that have grip. It deactivates the transmission’s lock-up clutch. It will apply braking only to the wheels that are slipping & it raises the front/rear coupling force. So... it kind of has its own brand of low range.
As far as the ground clearance - I have about 14”. The biggest downfall of the wagon is it’s poor approach & departure angle.
Wow, 14" of ground clearance? Are you measuring that from the lowest point on the underside of your car? If so, that's amazing.

Jeffrey Dill

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Greenville, SC, USA
First Name
Jeffrey
Last Name
Dill
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W4FOZ
Measuring that from the lowest dip in the skid plates (I think its where the catalytic converters are) to the pavement.
Dang, that's awesome. How'd you achieve that additional ground clearance? I believe the stock ground clearance on that Outback is just shy of 9". That's a significant increase.

Jeffrey Dill

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Greenville, SC, USA
First Name
Jeffrey
Last Name
Dill
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W4FOZ
I think the Mercedes had like 7. And it only got hairy a couple times.
Good to know. For the rockier sections that you guys encountered, was there ever a "safer" path or was it pretty much there's one approach to take and you're either prepared for it or you're not?

Sasquatch SC

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Jefferson County, Colorado, United States
First Name
Trey
Last Name
Hayes
Member #

Dang, that's awesome. How'd you achieve that additional ground clearance? I believe the stock ground clearance on that Outback is just shy of 9". That's a significant increase.
The stock is 8.9".
The 2" Ready Lift Spacer Kit, Bilstein B4 Series Twin-Tube Shocks & Struts, Rallitek Overload Springs and the bigger tires make up the difference.
I may have gone above my build budget for this fiscal quarter, but I did sell one of my motorcycles, so that helps. Plus I don't have a wife I need to explain my expenses to.

Reactions: JasKolp

Steve in Roanoke VA

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Roanoke VA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Janosko
Member #

NC Piedmont/CLT Meet-Up Planning

Here’s the link for the next meet-up planning
You are the guy I need to meet sometime! My wife and I am headed to Mount Pisgah Memorial Day Week 2019 (May 26-June 01). Coming from Roanoke VA on the Blue Ridge Parkway. I am looking for some day excursions off pavement that my stock Tacoma will handle (4x4, 31x10.5x15's, about 9 inches clearance from lowest point). Any info you can direct me to would be greatly appreciated! Hope to make one of your groups trips in the future. Many thanks, Steve

dreadpiratejeff

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Bear Creek NC
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
L
Member #

Thanks for the maps and other info... FWIW, when I asked, at least, I forgot that the "I wouldn't recommend it" was aimed at a Subaru... I'm in a lifted Cherokee KL, I can't lift it like an XJ but I at least have 12" of clearance, sliders and skid plates ;) plus a proper rear locker, and low range.

Reactions: Casey Craven

JasKolp

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Idaho, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Kolp
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN4TLR
While you're addressing the ground clearance issues, you might as well go ahead and add on another set of wheels and a small truck bed with a roll cage. :tearsofjoy:

I've seen that before! I'd like it better if they extended the bed into the cargo area of the ML.

The new model Subaru’s have what they call X-Mode. It recalibrates the gearing & engine mapping. It softens the throttle response & by using lower gear ratios it generates extra power on the wheels that have grip. It deactivates the transmission’s lock-up clutch. It will apply braking only to the wheels that are slipping & it raises the front/rear coupling force. So... it kind of has its own brand of low range.
As far as the ground clearance - I have about 14”. The biggest downfall of the wagon is it’s poor approach & departure angle.
Ahh, so its like an electronic low range? That's pretty nifty. If it makes you feel better, I did the trail with about 8 inches of ground clearance in the front. There were scrapes and bumps, but the only real damage was the bumper (thanks to the root I hit) and I think my bull bar also hit something and is now slightly bent. You should be good with 14 inches. Once I get the torsion lift fixed, I should have 9.5 inches in the front. After that, its larger tires for me to lift it, but I can fit I think...like 32 or 33's on it without any rubbing. So yeah, you're golden in the clearance department as far as I'm concerned!

Reactions: Sasquatch SC

Jeffrey Dill

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Greenville, SC, USA
First Name
Jeffrey
Last Name
Dill
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W4FOZ
The stock is 8.9".
The 2" Ready Lift Spacer Kit, Bilstein B4 Series Twin-Tube Shocks & Struts, Rallitek Overload Springs and the bigger tires make up the difference.
I may have gone above my build budget for this fiscal quarter, but I did sell one of my motorcycles, so that helps. Plus I don't have a wife I need to explain my expenses to.
Not having to justify your expenses to anyone definitely helps. :tearsofjoy:

What tires did you go with?

Jeffrey Dill

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Greenville, SC, USA
First Name
Jeffrey
Last Name
Dill
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W4FOZ
I've seen that before! I'd like it better if they extended the bed into the cargo area of the ML.
Ha, yeah, that'd be pretty sick. Major kudos to whoever did the body work on that Frankenstein job. If it didn't look so ridiculous, you'd never know it wasn't meant to look that way because the lines on it are perfect.

JasKolp

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Idaho, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Kolp
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN4TLR
The stock is 8.9".
Haha, I'm also not attached. I get enough flack from my friends and family about what I'm doing to a Mercedes. I just need a better paying job to afford the upgrades I want in a timely manner.

Ha, yeah, that'd be pretty sick. Major kudos to whoever did the body work on that Frankenstein job. If it didn't look so ridiculous, you'd never know it wasn't meant to look that way because the lines on it are perfect.
Yup! I kinda wish they turned it into a true 6x6 though. If I remember from the article I read on it, the additional wheels added aren't powered. But doing something like that to the drivetrain might have been more expensive than what they wanted to deal with.

Sasquatch SC

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Jefferson County, Colorado, United States
First Name
Trey
Last Name
Hayes
Member #

N

Nice. What size were you able to fit on there?
P245/65R-17 or 29.5" x 7.5"
The factory arch moldings are keeping me from going any bigger. The tops of the wheel wells are pretty concave and take out a good bit of space. I'm still playing with the idea of fender flares. But I have a long way to go before I'll need new tires again. So I guess I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.

Jeffrey Dill

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Greenville, SC, USA
First Name
Jeffrey
Last Name
Dill
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W4FOZ
Yup! I kinda wish they turned it into a true 6x6 though. If I remember from the article I read on it, the additional wheels added aren't powered. But doing something like that to the drivetrain might have been more expensive than what they wanted to deal with.
Ah, interesting. Haha, yup, that would have been a whole 'nother can of worms. :sweat:

NC-Trooper

US SouthEast Region Member Rep
Launch Member

Member III

Charlotte
First Name
John
Last Name
Holland
Member #

Good to know. For the rockier sections that you guys encountered, was there ever a "safer" path or was it pretty much there's one approach to take and you're either prepared for it or you're not?
The trail is significantly harder than years past. I’m assuming because all the rain.

There are a couple bypasses and for the obstacles that don’t you’ll need a spotter and the proper line.

NC-Trooper

US SouthEast Region Member Rep
Launch Member

Member III

Charlotte
First Name
John
Last Name
Holland
Member #

Ahh, so its like an electronic low range? That's pretty nifty. If it makes you feel better, I did the trail with about 8 inches of ground clearance in the front. There were scrapes and bumps, but the only real damage was the bumper (thanks to the root I hit) and I think my bull bar also hit something and is now slightly bent. You should be good with 14 inches. Once I get the torsion lift fixed, I should have 9.5 inches in the front. After that, its larger tires for me to lift it, but I can fit I think...like 32 or 33's on it without any rubbing. So yeah, you're golden in the clearance department as far as I'm concerned!
That root hit was unfortunate! The truck just jumped those last couple inches right into it that thing. It was like watching a giant pinball

JasKolp

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Idaho, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Kolp
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN4TLR
That root hit was unfortunate! The truck just jumped those last couple inches right into it that thing. It was like watching a giant pinball
I wish I had the dashcam footage, your expression said a lot! But, I'd rather repair the bumper than my door, so I'm grateful for that.