Idaho, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Kolp
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN4TLR
Here's all of the footage I could put together. A lot of it freezes, so feel free to skip forward a few seconds when it does. I'll make another video with just the highlights so you guys don't have to sit through 47 minutes of mostly broken footage!

Sasquatch SC

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Jefferson County, Colorado, United States
First Name
Trey
Last Name
Hayes
Member #

Almost certainly not. However, if you do decide to go, give me a shout, I'll ride with you.
Thanks for the heads up. I didn’t really plan my build w/ ORV parks in mind. I have a Zero FXS Supermoto for those places. I’m thinking I’m going to check out the Hurricane Creek trail in WNC this weekend to put my Subie in the dirt.

Reactions: tobey1

Casey Craven

Rank II

Advocate I

Lenoir, NC, USA
First Name
Casey
Last Name
Craven
Ham/GMRS Callsign
K4CPC
I don't think that you'll enjoy the rocks. Granted, I'm not familiar with your rig, and it may well be capable, but I wouldn't think you'd have the clearance. However, if you do decide to go, let me know for real. I live close by, and will be glad to come along if I can.

Reactions: NC-Trooper

Staticline40

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Fort Mill, SC, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Tebo
Member #

Service Branch
US Army Retired
Hey all - I’m not going to be able to make this trip w/ the group - but I am REALLY interested in this route for the future with a few buddies. Two questions:
1.) Would you recommend this route for my rig: 2019 Subaru Outback 3.6R Touring, full armor skid plates, 2” lift, 30” Kuhmo AT tires?
2.) Do you have a route map I can check out?
Well a Mercedes ML320 made it so...

Reactions: Sasquatch SC

Staticline40

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Fort Mill, SC, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Tebo
Member #

Service Branch
US Army Retired
Hey all - I’m not going to be able to make this trip w/ the group - but I am REALLY interested in this route for the future with a few buddies. Two questions:
1.) Would you recommend this route for my rig: 2019 Subaru Outback 3.6R Touring, full armor skid plates, 2” lift, 30” Kuhmo AT tires?
2.) Do you have a route map I can check out?

NC-Trooper

US SouthEast Region Member Rep
Launch Member

Member III

Charlotte
First Name
John
Last Name
Holland
Member #

I don't think that you'll enjoy the rocks. Granted, I'm not familiar with your rig, and it may well be capable, but I wouldn't think you'd have the clearance. However, if you do decide to go, let me know for real. I live close by, and will be glad to come along if I can.
I can second that. Subaru’s and rocks don’t necessarily mix well.

Now... Subaru’s and ripping down dirt roads are another story [emoji1598]

NC-Trooper

US SouthEast Region Member Rep
Launch Member

Member III

Charlotte
First Name
John
Last Name
Holland
Member #

NC Piedmont/CLT Meet-Up Planning

Here’s the link for the next meet-up planning

MaximusPrime

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Charlotte, NC, USA
Member #

Here is the GPX data from the trail. I have a couple pics I'll try to post tomorrow as well. Let me know if this doesn't work. The app wouldn't let me upload it as an attachment.

Reactions: tobey1

JasKolp

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Idaho, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Kolp
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN4TLR
But you have low range and a couple thinks that the subbie probably doesn’t
Yes, the ML320 has a proper low range, even though is an AWD. As far as I know, very few AWD vehicles have low range in NA, and they're usually older models from the 80's or 90's.

Once my ground clearance is better, I'll be able to do the trail without getting beached.

Reactions: Staticline40

Jeffrey Dill

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Greenville, SC, USA
First Name
Jeffrey
Last Name
Dill
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W4FOZ
Yes, the ML320 has a proper low range, even though is an AWD. As far as I know, very few AWD vehicles have low range in NA, and they're usually older models from the 80's or 90's.

Once my ground clearance is better, I'll be able to do the trail without getting beached.
While you're addressing the ground clearance issues, you might as well go ahead and add on another set of wheels and a small truck bed with a roll cage. :tearsofjoy:

Sasquatch SC

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Jefferson County, Colorado, United States
First Name
Trey
Last Name
Hayes
Member #

The new model Subaru’s have what they call X-Mode. It recalibrates the gearing & engine mapping. It softens the throttle response & by using lower gear ratios it generates extra power on the wheels that have grip. It deactivates the transmission’s lock-up clutch. It will apply braking only to the wheels that are slipping & it raises the front/rear coupling force. So... it kind of has its own brand of low range.
As far as the ground clearance - I have about 14”. The biggest downfall of the wagon is it’s poor approach & departure angle.