Idaho, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Kolp
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN4TLR
Any news on what day we'll be meeting up this month?

NC-Trooper

US SouthEast Region Member Rep
Launch Member

Member III

Charlotte
First Name
John
Last Name
Holland
Member #

So I have good news and bad news.

The good news is I just got a ton of material for us to use to pass out. So if you meet someone at the gas pump with a sweet truck like I always do, you will actually have something to give them.

Bad news is that I’m so swamped with work and a 6 week old baby that I am struggling to juggle everything so someone in the group needs to step up and set the Rally Point for the meet up.

Like I’ve said before... if all meet up are dependent on me organizing them than we are in trouble till my son gets a little older.

Thanks guys!!!

Sasquatch SC

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Jefferson County, Colorado, United States
First Name
Trey
Last Name
Hayes
Member #

So I have good news and bad news.

The good news is I just got a ton of material for us to use to pass out. So if you meet someone at the gas pump with a sweet truck like I always do, you will actually have something to give them.

Bad news is that I’m so swamped with work and a 6 week old baby that I am struggling to juggle everything so someone in the group needs to step up and set the Rally Point for the meet up.

Like I’ve said before... if all meet up are dependent on me organizing them than we are in trouble till my son gets a little older.

Thanks guys!!!
That stuff would be awesome to have. I always end up talking to people w/ rigs at the gas stations, outdoors stores, etc, etc.

I don’t mind setting up the Rally Point tomorrow from the office (not even gonna try w/ my iPad). Do you guys want to go north or south on Old NC105? Will anyone want to camp? If so, how many people?

Reactions: redneckinarav4

JasKolp

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Idaho, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Kolp
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN4TLR
That stuff would be awesome to have. I always end up talking to people w/ rigs at the gas stations, outdoors stores, etc, etc.

I don’t mind setting up the Rally Point tomorrow from the office (not even gonna try w/ my iPad). Do you guys want to go north or south on Old NC105? Will anyone want to camp? If so, how many people?
I'm not familiar with the area, so whatever is good with me. And I'll be camping this time if possible.

Graham1298

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Forsyth County, North Carolina, United States
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Graham
Member #

Thanks man

Thanks Trey for stepping up with the Rally Point! South to North might be a nice change for me personally. Since many of you will be coming from the south, then running 105 south to north may be a better option. Plus the drive back from Boone to Winston Salem via 421 is a pretty drive as opposed to 40. Also 421 intersects with 77 for the Charlotte and further south folks. There are several construction spots along 40E and one at exit 168-174 east bound that is near standstill traffic every day of the week. Took two hours yesterday to get from Statesville to Mocksville. Long story short... SOUTH TO NORTH is my vote!

THorner

Rank V
Investor

Enthusiast III

Sharpsburg, NC, USA
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Horner
Member #

Thanks man

Thanks Trey for stepping up with the Rally Point! South to North might be a nice change for me personally. Since many of you will be coming from the south, then running 105 south to north may be a better option. Plus the drive back from Boone to Winston Salem via 421 is a pretty drive as opposed to 40. Also 421 intersects with 77 for the Charlotte and further south folks. There are several construction spots along 40E and one at exit 168-174 east bound that is near standstill traffic every day of the week. Took two hours yesterday to get from Statesville to Mocksville. Long story short... SOUTH TO NORTH is my vote!
Trey, thanks for taking the lead on this. The weekend of the 29th is great for me. I also would vote for south to north. I'll be coming across I-40 (yuck) from eastern NC. It will take me about 4 hours to get there, but I'm an early riser so no problem there. I plan to camp somewhere that night, seems the RTT has become a permnant fixture on my rig. All I have to do is throw a couple of totes in and I'm good to go.20190510_192308.jpeg

Reactions: Graham1298

Sasquatch SC

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Jefferson County, Colorado, United States
First Name
Trey
Last Name
Hayes
Member #

Alright, even though I said I would wait until tomorrow - I went ahead & pulled a NatGeo trail map & plotted course from south to north w/ some marks on what we are passing & a couple of potential side jaunts. I may only be in my 30s - but I grew up piloting everything from rowboats to a 63’ shrimp trawler. At the time GPS was still a crazy expensive novelty technology. So bare w/ me on the coordinates.

I will have this rally point up shortly - however - I’ve said this at every event, but I mean it this time... someone really needs to tune my CB antenna for me & let me observe. Please!!

Those who are camping: I usually carry a hammock with a built in bug screen & a rainfly I can toss across it. You can count on me to bring a cooler of adult beverages & either speckled sea trout fillets, some red drum that can be fried, or at least some venison from my home freezer.

Stay tuned for when this goes live.

Graham1298

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Robert
Last Name
Graham
Member #

Alright, even though I said I would wait until tomorrow - I went ahead & pulled a NatGeo trail map & plotted course from south to north w/ some marks on what we are passing & a couple of potential side jaunts. I may only be in my 30s - but I grew up piloting everything from rowboats to a 63’ shrimp trawler. At the time GPS was still a crazy expensive novelty technology. So bare w/ me on the coordinates.

I will have this rally point up shortly - however - I’ve said this at every event, but I mean it this time... someone really needs to tune my CB antenna for me & let me observe. Please!!

Those who are camping: I usually carry a hammock with a built in bug screen & a rainfly I can toss across it. You can count on me to bring a cooler of adult beverages & either speckled sea trout fillets, some red drum that can be fried, or at least some venison from my home freezer.

Stay tuned for when this goes live.
I will bring my SWR meter and see what we can do. Anyone else with knowledge and/or equipment please bring it too!

Reactions: JButtress

THorner

Rank V
Investor

Enthusiast III

Sharpsburg, NC, USA
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Horner
Member #

I'll bring my SWR / Power meter also. With the instructions, I'm getting older and need to refer to the instructions every time I use it, LOL

JasKolp

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Idaho, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Kolp
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN4TLR
I’m thinking of getting a Ham radio. Any benefits over Ham vs CB? I know Ham has better range
I got my Ham license this year. With Ham you can potentially speak with someone on the other side of the world, but to use frequencies that allow you to do that (legally) you need the license and equipment to do that. It can get complicated very quickly depending on your technical expertise. CB is good for short range. Equipment is simple in comparison, and you don't need a licence to operate. I'm planning on having both in my rig at some point, its good to have options IMO.

How technical is the trail? While I have gotten my torsion bars lifted my clearance is still going to be lower than most of you guys (at least until I finish the suspension upgrade and get taller tires). I was able to do Brown Mountain alright, but I'd prefer to have a few less scrapes if possible (I think now with the partial lift I won't have as many clearance issues, but I'm on the side of caution for now).

Graham1298

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Robert
Last Name
Graham
Member #

I got my Ham license this year. With Ham you can potentially speak with someone on the other side of the world, but to use frequencies that allow you to do that (legally) you need the license and equipment to do that. It can get complicated very quickly depending on your technical expertise. CB is good for short range. Equipment is simple in comparison, and you don't need a licence to operate. I'm planning on having both in my rig at some point, its good to have options IMO.

How technical is the trail? While I have gotten my torsion bars lifted my clearance is still going to be lower than most of you guys (at least until I finish the suspension upgrade and get taller tires). I was able to do Brown Mountain alright, but I'd prefer to have a few less scrapes if possible (I think now with the partial lift I won't have as many clearance issues, but I'm on the side of caution for now).
Oh, 105 is NOTHING like Brown Mountain. You’ll have no problem at all.

JButtress

Rank VI

Traveler II

Chattanooga, TN, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Buttress
Member #

Thanks for the info. I just did the 105 this past weekend in my Silverado with only a leveling kit.