Idaho, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Kolp
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN4TLR
Oh, 105 is NOTHING like Brown Mountain. You’ll have no problem at all.
Good. I just spent a ton on a new cat converter, new transmission/engine oil pans, new fluids all around, and an alignment. I'm hoping to take it easy for awhile.

My ground clearance is 9.7” to my exhaust so if you got around that much you’ll be fine.
I think my front clearance is about 9.5 now, and my rear is about 10, so I think I'll be good if that's the case.

Sasquatch SC

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Jefferson County, Colorado, United States
First Name
Trey
Last Name
Hayes
Member #

Alright fellas. The rally point is live.
Those of you that have been part of this convo for the past few pages have been made administrators to the rally point. Congratulations on being immediately convenient! [emoji6]
That includes: @Graham1298 @redneckinarav4 @JButtress @BlazingArmoury @THorner & @NC-Trooper
I also sent a rally point invite to everybody who has ever commented on this topic. I may edit it at a real computer tomorrow & plug in all the POI’s along the route.

I saw y’all discussing radios, I’m definitely not interested in the HAM right now, but what is the benefit of a GMRS? I rather just pay a license than to take a HAM test.
Also, this may sound dumb, but why isn’t there a single radio unit that can communicate CB, VHF (what is used on boats), GMRS, FRS, etc.
I had to buy a handheld CB unit to keep on both of my boats so I can coordinate w/ the trucks that are loading or launching. However, for ship-to-ship, bridge controls, dam locks, marinas, coast guard, lake ranger, etc you have to use a VHF. But most people on land aren’t allowed to use VHF channels. It’s frustrating. My iPhone can do all kinds of crazy stuff, but we still haven’t figured out how to make an all-in-1 radio?

Sasquatch SC

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

First Name
Trey
Last Name
Hayes
Member #

Any advice on which CB to get? Should I just get a handheld to start instead of a mounted unit? Would like to pick something up for this trip
If you buy an antenna for it, I have a little older Uniden CB unit that I pulled out of an old tractor I was selling that you can have for free. It’s even wired to plug straight into a cigarette port. I’m told that isn’t the best way to wire it bc it reduces the power or something, but it worked alright for reaching across the farm. It will at least let you communicate w/ vehicles within line of sight. I usually throw a handheld CB unit in the milk crate I keep in my trunk with miscellaneous trail side tools. It basically looks like a real simple walkie talkie but it is about 12”x3”x3” w/ a thick 8” antenna on it.

Reactions: JButtress

JButtress

Rank VI

Traveler II

Chattanooga, TN, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Buttress
Member #

If you buy an antenna for it, I have a little older Uniden CB unit that I pulled out of an old tractor I was selling that you can have for free. It’s even wired to plug straight into a cigarette port. I’m told that isn’t the best way to wire it bc it reduces the power or something, but it worked alright for reaching across the farm. It will at least let you communicate w/ vehicles within line of sight. I usually throw a handheld CB unit in the milk crate I keep in my trunk with miscellaneous trail side tools. It basically looks like a real simple walkie talkie but it is about 12”x3”x3” w/ a thick 8” antenna on it.
Awesome! I’m going to continue with the noob questions as I’m totally new to this. Can I get the antenna on amazon? Also, I wouldn’t even mind using just the walkie talkie or buying my own walkie talkie just to get my feet wet

THorner

Rank V
Investor

Enthusiast III

Sharpsburg, NC, USA
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Horner
Member #

Awesome! I’m going to continue with the noob questions as I’m totally new to this. Can I get the antenna on amazon? Also, I wouldn’t even mind using just the walkie talkie or buying my own walkie talkie just to get my feet wet
You can absolutely get the antenna on Amazon. My 2 cents would be to get a magnetic base antenna, that way you can mount it quickly and when you decide on a permanent setup either keep that or go with something else that suits your needs better. They run about $25 give or take a couple of bucks. Just search for cb antenna, they have a bunch.

Reactions: JButtress

JButtress

Rank VI

Traveler II

Chattanooga, TN, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Buttress
Member #

You can absolutely get the antenna on Amazon. My 2 cents would be to get a magnetic base antenna, that way you can mount it quickly and when you decide on a permanent setup either keep that or go with something else that suits your needs better. They run about $25 give or take a couple of bucks. Just search for cb antenna, they have a bunch.
Awesome, thanks. I’ll check it out

Sasquatch SC

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

First Name
Trey
Last Name
Hayes
Member #

Yeah, you can get them on amazon.

This is the CB antenna I use on my car & my current tractor. I like it because it can be removed, but it takes a deliberate force bc the magnet is strong... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00005N5X2/ref=cm_sw_r_oth_tai_SBgcDb33X6V78

This is the handheld CB unit I keep in my boats & a backup in the rigs tool crate... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00N43KM5S/ref=cm_sw_r_oth_tai_MrgcDb8MQ36QH

My old man likes to use the family band walkie talkies during hunting season bc he was able to get those throat mic attachments for them. I think they are Motorola, but they struggle even in relatively close areas w/ any obstructions. Good for a job site, but they’d struggle to work between vehicles.

Last edited:

Contributor I

Unfortunately I don’t have a cb set up yet but before the years out I plan to have a duel antenna set up for max Potential effectiveness. I’m usually by myself so I only have a handheld ham for emergency’s.

Reactions: Retinens803

JasKolp

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Idaho, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Kolp
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN4TLR
Thanks for setting up the rally point!

I also do not have CB set up, but I do have a pair of walkie talkies. Later this year I'm planning on getting some proper comms set up. I would have bought one already, but I've had to prioritize my funds elsewhere...

I saw y’all discussing radios, I’m definitely not interested in the HAM right now, but what is the benefit of a GMRS? I rather just pay a license than to take a HAM test.
Also, this may sound dumb, but why isn’t there a single radio unit that can communicate CB, VHF (what is used on boats), GMRS, FRS, etc.
I had to buy a handheld CB unit to keep on both of my boats so I can coordinate w/ the trucks that are loading or launching. However, for ship-to-ship, bridge controls, dam locks, marinas, coast guard, lake ranger, etc you have to use a VHF. But most people on land aren’t allowed to use VHF channels. It’s frustrating. My iPhone can do all kinds of crazy stuff, but we still haven’t figured out how to make an all-in-1 radio?
I think this has to do with the laws, and what is allowed for equipment to be able to transmit on. Also, on Ham frequencies you can do literally anything you want on them (set up a station, use it to transmit data, use it to preform experiments, ect...) so I think they made the FRS, GMRS, and other channels so regular people can still be able to communicate over radio without having to worry about ending up on a frequency that's being used to blast radiation into space (and then get severe interference on both ends). Some Ham radios do have dual modes, but as for a nifty all in one radio I'm certain its the laws governing the radio space.

Reactions: Jeffrey Dill

glade8r

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Franklinton, NC, USA
First Name
Jamie
Last Name
Wells
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN4UFU
I'm interested in this. Where do I find the rally point? And talking comms I did get my ham license this year and have two handhelds and two walkie talkies. No CB. We just camp on the side of the road?

Reactions: Sasquatch SC

Sasquatch SC

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

First Name
Trey
Last Name
Hayes
Member #

I'm interested in this. Where do I find the rally point? And talking comms I did get my ham license this year and have two handhelds and two walkie talkies. No CB. We just camp on the side of the road?
Always have room for an XJ! Do you have the I-6 4.0? I had a '96 that was driven until the wheels almost fell off.

As far as CB comms go - I'm going to give my old base unit to @JButtress. I have one handheld CB in the milk crate of tools I carry in my trunk, and I have two more - one in each boat. I just dropped off my shallow water flats boat, The Suboataru, at a marine shop for a tune-up after being in the salt last week. My bigger boat, The Miss Mildred, is currently being stored at a slip on Lake Marion. I need to get another beater truck because as much as I love my Outback - there is no way I would even attempt to tow a boat that weighs a little under 9k lbs on the trailer. Not to mention when it is on the trailer the bow sits like 2' higher than the top of my car and the boat and trailer are twice the length of the car. I used to have an old single cab Dodge dually to tow boats around. Now when I want to move the Miss Mildred (named after my grandmother who taught me to fish in case you were curious), I have to hire a transport and have a slip at it's destination ready in advance. I went off on a tangent there, but my point is - I will try to get by the local boat service place to pick up one unit and I will try to get someone at the Lake Marion Marina to send me the other extra. I know they have my ignition and deck key, but if I locked it into my "tool box" aka red metal box with a short barrel shotgun and some personal items, it won't happen because I have that key.

Sasquatch SC

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

First Name
Trey
Last Name
Hayes
Member #

Worse case we put people with cbs one up front one in the middle and one in the rear to help with solid comms
Yeah, it depends on how many people actually show up and how dry the roads are. If it's really dry and dusty we may have to spread out groups further along the road. I learned at Uwharrie this last time that if the road is dry and dusty you really aren't going to be able to see anything if you have more than 2 cars in front of you.

Reactions: redneckinarav4

JButtress

Rank VI

Traveler II

Chattanooga, TN, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Buttress
Member #

Yeah, it depends on how many people actually show up and how dry the roads are. If it's really dry and dusty we may have to spread out groups further along the road. I learned at Uwharrie this last time that if the road is dry and dusty you really aren't going to be able to see anything if you have more than 2 cars in front of you.
Do we have any idea of possible campsite locations along the road? I know theres a big different if 5 cars show up versus 15 cars...you guys are more familiar with the area than I am

Sasquatch SC

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

First Name
Trey
Last Name
Hayes
Member #

Do we have any idea of possible campsite locations along the road? I know theres a big different if 5 cars show up versus 15 cars...you guys are more familiar with the area than I am
The biggest concentration will be near Wiseman's View. I marked all those trailheads when I looked at the route because typically there will be roadside sites in those general areas. There are 7 major trailheads along the route, so I think we'll be okay. Plus, you don't want to try to catch some sleep too close to where I pitch my tent unless you find the sounds of a misfiring diesel engine soothing. I snore like an abused Kenworth climbing a mountain while underwater.

JButtress

Rank VI

Traveler II

Chattanooga, TN, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Buttress
Member #

The biggest concentration will be near Wiseman's View. I marked all those trailheads when I looked at the route because typically there will be roadside sites in those general areas. There are 7 major trailheads along the route, so I think we'll be okay. Plus, you don't want to try to catch some sleep too close to where I pitch my tent unless you find the sounds of a misfiring diesel engine soothing. I snore like an abused Kenworth climbing a mountain while underwater.
Hahahaha i hear ya there. Just be cool for everyone to be as close as possible, for camp fires and hanging out