Enthusiast III

Esch-sur-Alzette, Luxembourg
First Name
Jacques
Last Name
Nilles
Member #

Hi everybody,

In almost every tread here, people talk about navigation and especially wich navigation app they use.

Currently I'am searching for the best way to organise my navigation, on- and off-road.

I thought it would be a good idea to open a special tread just for that topic.
It would be great if everybody would share his experiences (Pro's and Con's) with the different apps or systems used.

We heard a lot about "Gaia Gps" ands "Locus Maps Pro".
Did somebody use the "Soviet Military Map" App
Does anybody have some experience with devices like "Navigator" or "Globe 4x4" ?
What's about the "QuoVadis" software?

I think this can help a lot of people in making a choice.

Looking also for the new OB app with navigation.

76_overlander

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Biarritz, France
First Name
Angus
Last Name
LastName
Member #

Good thread Rockwilder. I am not the best to talk about navigation as i don't have any specific device and only work with apps. I thought Gaia was only good for US but my friend @viveen4wd showed me it was very capable in Europe with very good mapping layers, including worth every euro those from IGN. The recording of the track is very effective with good monitoring of speed and ground levels, it syncs your files from the laptop to the phone or tablet, and you can create incredible routes with ability to automatically create the best route on roads like a regular touring gps, then to draw your off road route, add pictures, POI, notes, and share your file. I find Gaia to be as good as i can ask for my needs and don't need (ATM) anything else. Of course you need to create the route on your computer first, you can import, export files, and it costs money (can't remember the price but i found out OB members had a discount code and you will easily find it on the forum).

To search for off road tracks i also use Wikiloc, which is a better solution as a "trails bank".

Now regarding OB 2.0, as a european member, i dont' expect anything from the off road GPS system as maps use cost a lot of money and OB will always focus on USA and AUS regarding the open mapping / tracks ressources. I think it will be able to import a file, and i think the telemetry will be awesome (UI). But i also think features such as destinations and off-road vehicles tracks won't work for Europe. Well i think in the end you still need to prepare your route on another software and import it to OB2 so you still need something like Gaia to prepare your trip. Time will tell :) But they are already late on releasing the Golden Master and as a lot of functions will be implemented, (most were initially given for Q1 2020) it can take time and efforts.

Rockwilder

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Jacques
Last Name
Nilles
Member #

Thanks Angus !

For the Uk I found these 2 :

1/ the" ordnance survey" app, that seems interesting.
the ordnance survey maps are the best for UK

2/and the TrailWise2 (TW2)
Available exclusively to GLASS members (Green Lane Association Limited) Green Lane Association

TW2 records BOATs (Byways Open to All Traffic) and UCRs (Unclassified County Roads, shown as ORPAs on OS maps) in England and Wales.
‘Legacy’ data (data and user evidence from previous versions of Trailwise) is also provided as an optional overlay for reference purposes.
The system is mobile and tablet friendly.

AdventurousRover

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Leuven, België
First Name
Ruud
Last Name
Boydens
Member #

I got the Gaia maps premium with the discount you can get thru Lifestyle Overland. And at first I was a bit disappointed by the Android app. It seemed that the iOS app gave you more metrics instantaneously. Sometimes you also need to search for a good layer to use in Europe.
But now, after using it on a couple of trips, I must say that it is starting to grow on me and I find it very useful.
I didn't try any other apps except for the backroad app and google maps. The backroad app was uninstalled a long time a ago. Google maps on the other hand stays a good companion that goes perfectly well next to gaia maps.

Rockwilder

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Jacques
Last Name
Nilles
Member #

I got the Gaia maps premium with the discount you can get thru Lifestyle Overland. And at first I was a bit disappointed by the Android app. It seemed that the iOS app gave you more metrics instantaneously. Sometimes you also need to search for a good layer to use in Europe.
But now, after using it on a couple of trips, I must say that it is starting to grow on me and I find it very useful.
I didn't try any other apps except for the backroad app and google maps. The backroad app was uninstalled a long time a ago. Google maps on the other hand stays a good companion that goes perfectly well next to gaia maps.
Thanks Ruud,

here the link for the Lifestyle Overland discount on Gaia GPS Lifestyle Overland Discount | Gaia GPS

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
What helps determine my choice of navigation software is my head unit. I am currently using a Pioneer head unit that supports Apple Car Play. Apple Car Play supports Apple Maps, Goggle Maps, Waze, and Sygic.

For on road use I default to Apple Car Play. Most of the time if I am heading somewhere it is because I put an event in my Apple iPhone X, via the Calendar app, which I synchronize with Google Calendar. Either from the Apple Car Play screen or my phone, I just click the calendar, then click the address and Apple Maps opens on the HU and phone and I am on my way.

I I already know the route I am taking and don't need specific directions or if there is somewhere new I have not been to, then I may use Waze. This will help me with red light cameras, speed traps, accidents, etc.

If I am in an area that does not have cell service, then I will use Sygic since it store offline maps. You download the states you are planning to travel to and you just use the app. This is a good way to save on data charges as well. Although the quality of the maps are not up to par compared to Apple or Google Maps. I use this to replace Navigator, which is now no longer in development.

I have not gone off road yet, but plan to use Gaia, even though it looks somewhat complicated to use.

WouterP

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

West-flanders (Belgium)
First Name
Wouter
Last Name
Parmentier
Member #

I use Google maps for Road driving but what i don't like is that you can't say 'use thé shortest way' or 'use thé fastet way' or ' only backroads'...
And alsof i use Gaia for tracking thé route.
I would like tot find some app that's as easy tot use like Google maps but also has thé possibility of enabeling as Mitch offroad of backroad as possible

STRUWELJÄMP

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

LUXEMBOURG
First Name
Josy
Last Name
WAX
Member #

Service Branch
Army Veteran
Hi ...for route driving i use google maps ...and for me it works great...keeps you updated on traffic.
To find or getting inspired for offroad tracks i use wikiloc.
To drive in real time i use ViewRanger app.I do my tracks on PC and i drive them with my galaxy tablet.Mostly i drive with 3other friends and with ViewRanger i can share the GPX data so that every participant has a view on the tour itself.
Have a nice ride

NotGumby

Local Expert Germany
Investor

Influencer II

Frankfurt, Germany
First Name
Rick
Last Name
Voth
Member #

Service Branch
Army Veteran 11B 54E
I've been using a Garmin Oregon 450 navigation device for both on- and off-road navigation as well as for hiking, mountain biking, and marine use. We've found this to be acceptable for both on-street and off-road routing. We like that this is a great "all-rounder" and can be taken from the car to a hike or to a canoe or bike. It can be hard on the eyes in the vehicle because of the small display. (We're looking at a larger Garmin device now) We buy the Garmin topo maps when they are reasonably priced, or download free OpenStreetMaps.NL. We use Garmin's Basecamp app on the MacBook for planning our routes. The previously mentioned maps and POIs are downloaded to Basecamp in advance so we can plan offline. We transfer maps and POIs to the Oregon as needed. We've used OpenStreetMaps for Alp tours in France and Italy, and Scandinavian tours among others and they worked very well. We sourced inexpensive Garmin topo maps for Germany, U.K., Ireland and Iceland.

We like that there are no subscriptions, no premium vs. normal memberships. We paid for the device once about 8 years ago, then either pay for a map or source something for free. As a backup, we try to always have paper maps and of course have google maps.

I've read that Dan Grec from "The Road Chose Me" used OpenStreetMaps and a Garmin device for his 999 day 53K+ mile Africa expedition.

Hope this adds another option to the bucket of navigation ideas. Let me know if you have specific questions.

Safe travels,
Rick

Robert OB 33/48

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder III

Gaanderen
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Keim
Member #

Hello folks,

Well, Iam using Locus Map pro. Very happy with that. Cheap, works on every android (recent one) and does the job. Is very simple to work with.
Downside is that I cant use it on Windows. So, for that I have bought myself an Chromebox, which should do the trick.
I will receive that one next week and when all is installed I will try to make a review.

That said,

I have two Panasonic Toughbooks CF-19 with Windows on it.
A bit outdated but for a good PC Geek I guess still worth a lot.
I even have one dockingstation with it.

On both is MapPoint Europe and TTQV-4. Both come with a GPS device and car and home power unit.

Still both in good working order. Only one is the touchscreen locked, as it gave a little trouble. Further no problem what so ever.

Robert OB 33/48

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder III

Gaanderen
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Keim
Member #

Actually no, it aint. Works perfect with garmin and basemap.
It also depends on how you are using it.
For simple routes and such it is fairly simple. And it can use all Garmin maps.
As far as I know on one there are several maps installed. My guess on both.

Reactions: Rockwilder