Influencer II

Raleigh, NC, USA
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
D
Member #

Just reserved site 9!

I was at Old NC-105 the last few days showing it to some friends of mine. The road is a lot more washed out going up than it was when we went a few months ago.
I was ~30 minutes away from there this weekend up on the Blue Ridge Parkway. I've been wanting to check that out so bad but it wasn't in the cards this weekend. Probably for the best since I had just picked up a new hood for my jeep and had it in the back. If you said the road was washed out it probably wouldn't have been good to bounce the hood around in my trunk. Another time.

Sasquatch SC

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Jefferson County, Colorado, United States
First Name
Trey
Last Name
Hayes
Member #

I was ~30 minutes away from there this weekend up on the Blue Ridge Parkway. I've been wanting to check that out so bad but it wasn't in the cards this weekend. Probably for the best since I had just picked up a new hood for my jeep and had it in the back. If you said the road was washed out it probably wouldn't have been good to bounce the hood around in my trunk. Another time.
Old NC 105 is the baseline standard in the area. Even when it is washed out it is pretty easy as long as you take it easy. I did it 2 weekends ago with my 6 month old & 8 year old nieces in the backseat of my sister's Ford Edge (I know, its an awful vehicle. I tried to talk her into a Subaru Ascent. I am biased on the subject though). There was a lot of traffic on it, but at low speed there wasn't much variation from all the other times I've been up.

JasKolp

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Idaho, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Kolp
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN4TLR
The majority of the road near the parkway wasn't bad. Towards the south side is where there was more harsh ground, but it wasn't so bad that my friend's 2wd Tacoma couldn't make it up. If I lived closer I'd probably go a lot more often, there are a lot of paths there that I'd like to explore.

Sasquatch SC

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

First Name
Trey
Last Name
Hayes
Member #

I was just looking through my reservation details. They allow (2) vehicles per site.
"Campers are allowed either a maximum of one trailer/RV and one tent, OR two tents per site. Maximum of 2 passenger vehicles per site. Additional parking is available at the campground."​
I'm sure if I talk to the park office and they understand we are all part of a single group they'd probably be okay with me unhooking my boat trailer in their overflow lot - which would allow a second vehicle to squeeze into site 13 with me.

Reactions: JButtress

Jeffrey Dill

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Greenville, SC, USA
First Name
Jeffrey
Last Name
Dill
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W4FOZ
I was just looking through my reservation details. They allow (2) vehicles per site.
"Campers are allowed either a maximum of one trailer/RV and one tent, OR two tents per site. Maximum of 2 passenger vehicles per site. Additional parking is available at the campground."​
I'm sure if I talk to the park office and they understand we are all part of a single group they'd probably be okay with me unhooking my boat trailer in their overflow lot - which would allow a second vehicle to squeeze into site 13 with me.
Yeah, I wouldn't think that'd be a problem.

Contributor II

Mount Holly, NC
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Giszczak
Would love to attend. If you end up doing Fri to Sun is there a way we could still meet with the group on Saturday? I get off work late on Friday but would love to meet up. Just got the rig set up and haven't been on a trip yet so would love to get my feet wet with a group.

JButtress

Rank VI

Traveler II

Chattanooga, TN, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Buttress
Member #

Would love to attend. If you end up doing Fri to Sun is there a way we could still meet with the group on Saturday? I get off work late on Friday but would love to meet up. Just got the rig set up and haven't been on a trip yet so would love to get my feet wet with a group.
We could definitely meet up. I’d scroll up through the thread and reserve a campsite for Saturday night

THorner

Rank V
Investor

Enthusiast III

Sharpsburg, NC, USA
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Horner
Member #

We would love to have you join us for whatever time you can. Meeting up with us at the campground would probably be the easiest. If you would please let @Jeffrey Dill know what your plans are.

Jeffrey Dill

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Greenville, SC, USA
First Name
Jeffrey
Last Name
Dill
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W4FOZ
Definitely. If you're wanting to just explore the trails with us on Saturday, you're more than welcome to just meet up with us Saturday morning before we hit the trail. Or if you want to do Saturday to Sunday, you can camp out just that night. I actually checked today and all the sites are now claimed at Keowee Toxaway, but I'm sure we could squeeze you in at one of our sites.

This is where we'll meet up Saturday morning: Google Maps

And I'll post the time we're going to meet as we get closer to the date. It'll probably be in the ballpark of 10AM though.

Jeffrey Dill

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Greenville, SC, USA
First Name
Jeffrey
Last Name
Dill
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W4FOZ
Or as Tom just mentioned, you could meet us at the campground (Keowee Toxaway) and join the convoy to the trailhead. :smile:

Either way, I'll still post a time that we'll be at the trailhead as we get closer for anyone else who is just coming out on Saturday and wants to meet at the trailhead (there's a big parking lot there).

Contributor II

Mount Holly, NC
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Giszczak
Or as Tom just mentioned, you could meet us at the campground (Keowee Toxaway) and join the convoy to the trailhead. :smile:

Either way, I'll still post a time that we'll be at the trailhead as we get closer for anyone else who is just coming out on Saturday and wants to meet at the trailhead (there's a big parking lot there).
So I think our plan is to meet up on Saturday with y'all at the trail head. Hang out for the day and I think we will break off later in the afternoon. But definitely planning on at least coming out there and having some fun. Not sure if anyone has asked but how difficult is the trail? I do have 4wd but on street tires at the moment. lol.

Last edited:

Sasquatch SC

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

First Name
Trey
Last Name
Hayes
Member #

So I think our plan is to meet up on Saturday with y'all at the trail head. Hang out for the day and I think we will break off later in the afternoon. But definitely planning on at least coming out there and having some fun. Not sure if anyone has asked but how difficult is the trail? I do have 4wd but on street tires at the moment. lol.
You'll be alright. If you do get stuck, there will be plenty of help to get you rolling again in no time.

NC-Trooper

US SouthEast Region Member Rep
Launch Member

Member III

Charlotte
First Name
John
Last Name
Holland
Member #

I am unbeliebaly glad to see things going on without me having to plan them! Thanks Jeff Dill for getting all of this together!! I wish I could get out of the house for this one but Dad duty calls!

Feel free to reach out to me with any issues or questions pertaining to OB rules and representation.

Jeffrey Dill

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Greenville, SC, USA
First Name
Jeffrey
Last Name
Dill
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W4FOZ
I am unbeliebaly glad to see things going on without me having to plan them! Thanks Jeff Dill for getting all of this together!! I wish I could get out of the house for this one but Dad duty calls!

Feel free to reach out to me with any issues or questions pertaining to OB rules and representation.
Come on, John, isn't your kid like 6 months old now? Surely he's got a job now that keeps him busy most of the day? :laughing: :wink:

NC-Trooper

US SouthEast Region Member Rep
Launch Member

Member III

Charlotte
First Name
John
Last Name
Holland
Member #

You know, I had a frank man to man discussion with him last night about him carrying his own weight around here. That little punk just looked at me like he didn't know how to speak English.

Come on, John, isn't your kid like 6 months old now? Surely he's got a job now that keeps him busy most of the day? :laughing: :wink: