2004 Discovery 2 Expo Build

• HTML tutorial

MS_Disco

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Madison, MS
Member #

Let me know what you come up with on this. Can you get a couple more pictures for me so I can see exactly what this looks like? I'll have to look at my skid to see what can be done to divert air up.
I'll take some more pics and post tonight.

OB#3799

MStudt

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Springfield, OR, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Studt
Member #

I'll take some more pics and post tonight.

OB#3799
One more thing. Do you think the Astro fan clutch will fit the Disco fan? Or would I need the fan to go with it? I've read about people using a Chevy Express Cargo Van clutch from the non-ac models along with the stock disco fan. They say not to get the one for the ac models because it'll constantly run.

MS_Disco

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Madison, MS
Member #

One more thing. Do you think the Astro fan clutch will fit the Disco fan? Or would I need the fan to go with it? I've read about people using a Chevy Express Cargo Van clutch from the non-ac models along with the stock disco fan. They say not to get the one for the ac models because it'll constantly run.
The 04 fan and clutch were one piece, I thought I would have to trim the astro fan, but it fit perfectly in the fan shroud even though the fan is bigger than stock. The a/c model Chevy clutches are "heavy duty" and yes they will run pretty much all the time. I may find a used heavy duty clutch just to play.

OB#3799

MS_Disco

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Madison, MS
Member #

Here is the astro fan and clutch, blades are bigger and the pitch is a little more than factory.
IMG_20170505_183514.jpg

OB#3799

MStudt

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Springfield, OR, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Studt
Member #

Here is the astro fan and clutch, blades are bigger and the pitch is a little more than factory.
View attachment 23593

OB#3799
So I would either need an Astro clutch, and fan. Or, a Chevy Express non ac clutch, and fan. DO you know if there's a difference between the two? I'm running to the parts store today to get those items along with oil.

While I'm asking you questions, what oil do you use? I can't seem to find a clear decisive answer on what to use, and why. I know a lot of people are running Rotella, and that seems to be the go to. I'm leaning towards Rotella 15W-40, but I'm stuck on using the Rotella T or the Rotella T4. I'm getting ready to change out the Royal Purple break-in oil, and need to find something to stick with that's readily available.

MS_Disco

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Madison, MS
Member #

So I would either need an Astro clutch, and fan. Or, a Chevy Express non ac clutch, and fan. DO you know if there's a difference between the two? I'm running to the parts store today to get those items along with oil.

While I'm asking you questions, what oil do you use? I can't seem to find a clear decisive answer on what to use, and why. I know a lot of people are running Rotella, and that seems to be the go to. I'm leaning towards Rotella 15W-40, but I'm stuck on using the Rotella T or the Rotella T4. I'm getting ready to change out the Royal Purple break-in oil, and need to find something to stick with that's readily available.
For the clutch fan combo, I got lucky with the astro setup, not having to modify anything. I'd be willing to bet any late 90's early 2000's will work and would probably be the same part numbers, GM used the same parts on tons of different vehicles. As for oil, I run rotela 15/40 t4 and change every 3000 miles. The tolerances in these engines are horrible, I'm in the deep South so the thicker the better, cooler climates you might be able to get away with thinner but why take the chance.
Make sure that engine is burped well, I jack the passenger side up and bleed it cold.

OB#3799

Last edited:

MStudt

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Springfield, OR, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Studt
Member #

For the clutch fan combo, I got lucky with the astro setup, not having to modify anything. I'd be willing to bet any late 90's early 2000's will work and would probably be the same part numbers, GM used the same parts on tons of different vehicles. As for oil, I run rotela 15/40 t4 and change every 3000 miles. The tolerances in these engines are horrible, I'm in the deep South so the thicker the better, cooler climates you might be able to get away with thinner but why take the chance.

OB#3799
We're pretty warm here in the Mid-West too, and I'm thinking 15/40 T4 as well for the warmer months. Plus we're hitting the road this summer for the next couple years, and think the 15/40 would be good heading out West since it's pretty warm out there too. Are you using any kind of ZDDP additive? Or does the T4 have a good amount already?

MS_Disco

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Madison, MS
Member #

We're pretty warm here in the Mid-West too, and I'm thinking 15/40 T4 as well for the warmer months. Plus we're hitting the road this summer for the next couple years, and think the 15/40 would be good heading out West since it's pretty warm out there too. Are you using any kind of ZDDP additive? Or does the T4 have a good amount already?
Dang!! I'm not sure about the zinc content, now I'm going to have to do some research!! Lol

OB#3799

MStudt

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Springfield, OR, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Studt
Member #

Some quick tests last night showed a couple issues, and are most likely the reason for the temps starting to rise. For starters the fan clutch is toast, and needs to be replaced. Second in line is the AC condenser fan which is seized up, and the motor needs to be replaced on it. Lastly, it looks like we have some air in the cooling system. This is most likely from NOT bleeding the system correctly, and I know the system was NOT bled correctly. All three of these issues are likely what's causing the high temps.

I've placed an order with Autozone for a new fan blade for the early D2 models, and a severe duty fan clutch for the early models too. This setup will give me the same effect as running a Chevy clutch, and pricing is about the same. I also ordered a new fan motor for a Toyota Corolla since the fan used on those is the exact same thing that Rover used, and a 1/3 the price. When I start bleeding the system correctly I plan on adding some Water Wetter to the coolant before topping off the system.

Here are the part numbers for all three parts from Autozone.
Fan Blade: 620-112
Fan Clutch: 922790
Fan Motor: PM9116

Last edited:

MS_Disco

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Madison, MS
Member #

Some quick tests last night showed a couple issues, and are most likely the reason for the temps starting to rise. For started the fan clutch is toast, and needs to be replaced. Second in line is the AC conenser fan is toast as well, and the motor needs to be replaced on it. Lastly, it looks like we have some air in the cooling system. This is most likely from NOT bleeding the system correctly, and I know the system was NOT bled correctly. All three of these issues are likely what's causing the high temps.

I've placed an order with Autozone for a new fan blade for the early D2 models, and a severe duty fan clutch for the early models too. This setup will give me the same effect as running a Chevy clutch, and pricing is about the same. I also ordered a new fan motor for a Toyota Corolla since the fan used on those is the exact same thing that Rover used. When I start bleeding the system correctly I plan on adding some Water Wetter to the coolant before topping off the system.

Here are the part numbers for all three parts from Autozone.
Fan Blade: 620-602
Fan Clutch: 922786
Fan Motor: PM9116
Good deal, keep us posted

OB#3799

MStudt

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Springfield, OR, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Studt
Member #

Over the weekend I was able to get quite a bit done. I swapped out the bad afn clutch, fan blade, and ac fan motor for good parts.

Clutch - 922790
Blade - 620-112
Motor - PM9116 (fan blade trimming required)

Sorry for some of the not so good pictures. I usually have my wife take pictures, but she was working on her own projects. On Sunday I knocked out our dual battery install, and it wasn't too bad. I was on the fences about installing a National Luna dual battery, and finally decided to do it. Since the plan in to live out of the Rover we needed to have some extra juice just in case.

I took the original box, and cut a little off the bottom to help fit the batteries.

Next I added a battery tie down that uses two of the mounting bolts. This is very simple, and wraps around the new tray, and both batteries to hold them in place.

While cleaning the garage I was able to find a nice sheet of aluminum that I used to make two single battery trays, and a corner piece. I used RTV to fix the corner piece to the battery box. Since it was open to the elements I decided to cover it.

Here's the finished product. I'm not to keen on the location, but there isn't much to work with under the hood.

I'll have to get a picture on the monitor mounted inside still, and I'll post that here later.

MS_Disco

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Madison, MS
Member #

I'm glad you did the dual battery thing, just the push I needed to do mine.
Did the upgraded fan and clutch make a difference? I'll be doing the 180 chevy thermostat conversation on mine this weekend.
OB#3799

Reactions: MStudt

InsertAliasHere

Rank III

Advocate II

I started using a Hayden 2991 fan clutch a few years back and haven't had any issues that I know of. When I did my dual batteries I went with the IBS set up over National Luna. How do you like the National Luna? And yeah I got a Motorad soft spring thermostat that turned out to be DOA. Was seeing about the same temps before I changed it for a genuine part. Now it rarely goes over 200 degrees.

-2002 Disco with heavy things bolted to it.

MStudt

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Springfield, OR, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Studt
Member #

I started using a Hayden 2991 fan clutch a few years back and haven't had any issues that I know of. When I did my dual batteries I went with the IBS set up over National Luna. How do you like the National Luna? And yeah I got a Motorad soft spring thermostat that turned out to be DOA. Was seeing about the same temps before I changed it for a genuine part. Now it rarely goes over 200 degrees.

-2002 Disco with heavy things bolted to it.
We haven't had the National Luna long enough to know if we'll like it. At first glance it seems like a well build unit, and that it'll do the job just fine. We'll have a better idea of it once we're on the road, and can get some use out of it.

I'm still working on the cooling issues, but things are looking better. We're taking a small trip this weekend, and the Rover is coming with us. This will be a good test to see how it does. If it's still acting up after this weekend I'm going to take it into a local shop to have them take a look. I'm slowly working the air out of the system, and that seems to be helping. I'm not 100% sold that I have a good t-stat though.

TGF

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Lunenburg, MA
Member #

Installing the winch was a pit of a pain. I had to trim some of the grill support to clear the winch, and had to trim the grill some too.
Had the same issue with my Lucky8 bumper. Always a bit of hesitation chopping into one's car...

Nice progress and cool thread, man.

MStudt

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Springfield, OR, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Studt
Member #

We've had the dual battery setup in for a little over a week now, and everything has been great with it. I would recommend the National Luna for members who don't want to mess around with purchasing individual items. That being said, if I were to do it again on our Disco I would NOT have bought the kit.

The kit is great if you don't have anything wired yet. Unfortunately I already had the entire interior wired before purchasing this kit. Our engine compartment keeps the batteries side by side so not much wire was used. I think I used about 2-3' of both wire, and was given 18-20' with the kit. I also didn't use the supplied battery terminals since the design of them wasn't very appealing to me.

All in all this is a great kit though.

MStudt

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Springfield, OR, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Studt
Member #

With the long weekend I was able to get some much needed work done, but not as much as I was hoping. I started the weekend by trying to wire up our led lights from Cali Raised. I always like sticking with OEM switches on the dash, and keeping the OEM switches on the Rover was what I wanted. After playing around with the Rover switches I decided it wasn't worth the headache anymore. I messed around with these switches for a good 2-3 hours before giving up on them. No matter what I did I couldn't get them to work.

The other option was to pick up some Carling switches, but those wouldn't fit in the dash openings I had to work with. After 20 minutes of searching I came across a guy who was 3D printing switch pods for the ashtray spots on D1's. The pods from D1's also fit the D2's, and of course this lead to a purchase. Here's the item that I purchased to house the new Carling Contura switches that I also bought.

Of course my lighting is on hold now, but we already know everything works. All that's left is installing the switches.