Launch Member

Member II

Springfield, OR, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Studt
Member #

How much thicker aluminum would the aluminum needed to be? I'm still trying to learn when to use aluminum and steel.
Personally I was looking at using .75 x .75 x 1/8 wall 6063 aluminum. My rig is pretty limited in space and I want to maximize as much as possible. I have also looked at jawing solid aluminum bars in .5 x .5 6061 and .5 x .5 x .065 steel either should be strong enough but it's gonna suck to weld together just cause of size.

I really appreciate you answering my questions. Thank you
With 1/8" you should be OK, and you can used a thicker plywood to add more strength too. Stepping up to 3/4" would add a lot more strength. Another issue with aluminum is welding it, and although I can weld it I didn't want to mess with it. There's a company called EZTube that sells extruded aluminum that slip together connectors that slip inside each other. They have plastic connectors, and steel core connectors.

Something that I've been wanting to do is build a platform from 80/20 t-slot, but you can find generic t-slot for a lot less. Just haven't gotten around to planning that, and time isn't on my side right now either.

MStudt

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Springfield, OR, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Studt
Member #

With the crappy lighting due to crappy weather I haven't been able to get any good pictures of the progress made over the last week. I pulled the platform out along with all paneling in the rear last weekend. With the panel removed I was able to run all of my wiring for the backup light, cooking light, 2 USB ports, and CB coax. I still need to wire the Bluesea fuse block, power inverter, and lay the wire going to the engine bay.

I'm also making a couple fold down cooler holders that are mounted to the body, and run through the panels. I'm "hoping" these hold with a loaded down cooler, but I'm skeptical about them. These are made from t-slot extrusion, have locking hinges, and adjustable caribiners fixed to eye bolts.

With the giving season upon us I've decided to give us some goodies. Step one was ordering a 9,500lb winch, and snatch block. With the deal 4WD was having I couldn't pass it up. I'm also going to be order a backup light pod, 13" single row bar, and a 30" single row bar. In addition to that I may pick up some Tred 4x4 boards, and ARB compressor.

MStudt

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Springfield, OR, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Studt
Member #

Finally I have some pictures to post, and some new progress.

We added some more lighting up front with the addition of a 30" single row light bar. We were originally going to get a 40" single row, but found out it wouldn't clear the factor rails. We picked up a few lights from CaliRaised LED for the front, and back. We also added a 2x2 pod to the rear to be used as a backup light (bottom left corner of picture).

The cooler mount is also finished, and seems like it's going to work. The upper eye bolts are tied into the metal body near the curved upper window. The lower hing mount is also tied into the metal body just under the window. Both mounts are pretty stout, and should hold plenty of weight. The lower mount also has locking hinge to allow it to fold up out of the way.

Next up is the bed. The rear section, and two large front sections are made from 3" high density foam. With the two small cushions being made from polyester.

We'll have a test run this weekend when we go camping Saturday night. Just a short one night trip to see how things are coming together. We need to try to bed to see if anything else needs to be done. We also need to try our cooking arrangement to how know how it works. Also want to see how to dual awning setup is going to work for us.

I placed an order for a new engine this morning, and that should be in around the beginning of March. I have a little over a month to get all the extra parts that I need for the engine swap. Lots of parts to order, and lots more work to be done.

jhill15

Rank 0

Contributor II

Man your build really makes me want another d2!!! Keep up the great work!!!!

Sent from my LG-H900 using Tapatalk

Reactions: MStudt

MStudt

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Springfield, OR, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Studt
Member #

Stay tuned for my manual seat swap!

We're ditching the electric heated seats for manual seats, and I'm being serious. I have this master plan of swapping the leather heated cushions from our electric seats to the manual seat frames. All diagrams show these two seats use the exact same frame minus a couple interchangeable parts. Stay tuned.

Last edited:

pmagee

Rank 0

Contributor I

@MStudt my curiosity got the best of me after your FB post so I had to come check out your build thread. Great work man! You're rig pics have caused me to scour the Craigslist ads for an old Disco! I have committed to making my WJ last the earth to moon trip (238,900 miles) and I am currently flirting with the 200,000 mile mark. Can't wait to see the next additions and hopefully it will satisfy me until I have another project to sink my teeth into. Can't wait to see more pics and updates!

Reactions: Jrivera32276

MStudt

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Springfield, OR, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Studt
Member #

@MStudt my curiosity got the best of me after your FB post so I had to come check out your build thread. Great work man! You're rig pics have caused me to scour the Craigslist ads for an old Disco! I have committed to making my WJ last the earth to moon trip (238,900 miles) and I am currently flirting with the 200,000 mile mark. Can't wait to see the next additions and hopefully it will satisfy me until I have another project to sink my teeth into. Can't wait to see more pics and updates!
I'm not seeing too many Disco's available in our area right now. If you find one make sure you check the frame rails around the gas tank in the rear. That area is known to rust out pretty bad, but it's repairable. The D2's have some issues that you should know about before buying one so make sure you read up, or ask me. Good parts are getting harder to find, and can be pricey.

I have several projects coming up on this. The stereo is getting upgraded to an Alpine head unit, Alpine amp, and Alpine 6-1/2" components. I also need to install a dual battery kit, winch, and run wiring for lights. The next big thing is going to be the engine. I think we're leaning towards a 5.3L LS swap for the reliability factor.

pmagee

Rank 0

Contributor I

There are a couple that are priced dangerously low (cheap enough for me to ALMOST take a gamble on) but they seem a bit fishy and too pristine to be priced under 5 grand. At the moment looking at your rig will have to suffice. I am doing some much needed upgrades on my WJ (synergy ball joints, new adjustable a-arm, new driveshaft, reupholster of leather seats, CCFL headlight upgrades, and a possible tablet integration into the dash) so I am sure that will keep me busy in the meantime.

I can't say enough good things about those Alpine head units. If you are unfortunate enough to have to replace your factory radio/cd player, they should be the only brand you check out. I installed Infinity Kappa Perfect speakers all the way around in mine and man it made me realize how upgrading a sound system can help!

If you need any help or just someone to hand you tools, I owe you for the help you gave me awhile back. Hard to believe that was 5 years ago!

MStudt

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Springfield, OR, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Studt
Member #

There are a couple that are priced dangerously low (cheap enough for me to ALMOST take a gamble on) but they seem a bit fishy and too pristine to be priced under 5 grand. At the moment looking at your rig will have to suffice. I am doing some much needed upgrades on my WJ (synergy ball joints, new adjustable a-arm, new driveshaft, reupholster of leather seats, CCFL headlight upgrades, and a possible tablet integration into the dash) so I am sure that will keep me busy in the meantime.

I can't say enough good things about those Alpine head units. If you are unfortunate enough to have to replace your factory radio/cd player, they should be the only brand you check out. I installed Infinity Kappa Perfect speakers all the way around in mine and man it made me realize how upgrading a sound system can help!

If you need any help or just someone to hand you tools, I owe you for the help you gave me awhile back. Hard to believe that was 5 years ago!
You should be able to pick them up for next to nothing. Most people are selling them due to head gasket issues, and engine codes. You should be able to find a good one for under $5k easy.

Where are you living at now? I doubt you're still in U-City anymore. The wife and I are always in St. Louis, and even the drive from across the river isn't bad.

MStudt

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Springfield, OR, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Studt
Member #

Over the weekend I was able to complete our new seats. When I say new I really mean new to us seats. Since we're going to be traveling in this car we wanted to eliminate some of the electrical items in advance. One area of concern were the powered seat, and the potential for the motors to go. I've been looking for D2 manual seats for several months now, and kept coming up with nothing. A couple weeks ago I came across a pair of manual seats on eBay from a seller in Virginia. I arranged to have them shipped to me, and the project began. In addition to the manual seats we wanted to be able to keep the leather, and the heated seats.

Here's what happened.

The seats came in.

They got stripped down to the bare frame.

Next was unbolting the upper seat frame from the lower on the electric seats.

We wanted to keep the armrests too. I had to remove this part from the electrical seats, and weld the bracket on the manual seats. This bracket went in the same location as the manual lumbar knob. So that was removed.

The new manual seat frame back together.

Moving right along to mounting the cushions. The bottom was easy, but the top was a PITA.

I had to remove a mount from under the electric seat, and install it on the manual to be able to hold the fuses. All wires are tucked up nicely, and out of the way.

While the seats were out this was a perfect time to mount our Bull Dog car safe. The safe can be pulled out from the front seat through the old CD changer door.

By time the seats were installed I didn't have enough light to get pictures. I'll try to get some today if it clears up outside.

pmagee

Rank 0

Contributor I

Fantastic work on the seats Mike. I have never understood why cloth seats are always in such hideous patterns. I swear they cover them in the same materials and patterns of my grandma's couch.

Those leather seats on the other hand look downright sexy. Look like they could use a good shampooing and conditioning though!

Reactions: MStudt

MStudt

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Springfield, OR, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Studt
Member #

I recently came across a great deal on the TRED4x4 recovery boards, and picked up a set. I was a bit disappointed that Front Runner doesn't offer a TRED mount, and only offered a Maxtrax mount. The Maxtrax have different spacing than the TRED's so the mounts wouldn't work for me.

After searching, and not finding anything that would work I decided to build my own. These are made from 3/16"x2" flat steel, and bolt on the Front Runner slats. The two brackets have 1/2-13" threaded studs welded in place, and utilize the Hi-Lift locking handles.

Last edited:

MStudt

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Springfield, OR, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Studt
Member #

@namco41 we're going another direction, and away from the LS swap. The LS swap is going to be great, but it's a bit too new right now. With these being available for install only, and the lack of time on our part it wasn't going to work.

We ordered an engine last week from Turner Engineering in the UK, and should have it next week. Considering the oil pump gear blew out last night timing is pretty good.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zargon