MCL

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Oliver, B.C., Canada
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Gerlach
Chances are you won't have your light bar on and if it happens that you do, shut it off. Dual batteries sure, but not auxilliary. 87250 is correct. You need the alternator charging.

freak4life

Local Expert

Contributor II

Cañon City, Colorado, USA
First Name
rich
Last Name
anderssohn
Hey guys, I drive a 2023 jeep wrangler 4xE and was thinking about adding a winch soon. Would you guys recommend getting an auxiliary battery to run the winch on? I already have a light bar so that draws from my main battery. Lmk what you guys think. Thanks!
What Paul said is correct, you will want your rig running if you are winching. That being said I have a dual battery set-up, Genesis, and it isolates the starter battery from all my auxiliary lighting and winch, it also charges both batteries directly from the alternator. There are a lot of options for you. Most winches also have a battery monitoring system available to cover your winching.

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
[In B4:

"Hook it to the hybrid battery!"]

Alanymarce

Rank IV

Trail Mechanic III

Colombia
As others note - you will want to have your engine running when you are winching. In terms of running out of battery - unless you are winching for several hours you will not have a problem with the standard (single) battery.

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wherever we park it will be home !!
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
My winch is run off of the auxillary battery, which is charged by the alternator, same as the starter battery. In fact, when I’m winching with the engine running, I’m drawing from both batteries unless I manually isolate them. Why? Worst case scenario, - truck won’t start, water rising, gotta winch out, turn the switch, isolate the batttries, the starter battery will not be drawn from - fix truck, start up and go. Otherwise if you’re drawing from the starter battery, you’re toast. Good luck

Alanymarce

Rank IV

Trail Mechanic III

Colombia
My winch is run off of the auxillary battery, which is charged by the alternator, same as the starter battery. In fact, when I’m winching with the engine running, I’m drawing from both batteries unless I manually isolate them. Why? Worst case scenario, - truck won’t start, water rising, gotta winch out, turn the switch, isolate the batttries, the starter battery will not be drawn from - fix truck, start up and go. Otherwise if you’re drawing from the starter battery, you’re toast. Good luck
Good point - it had not occurred to me. My winching experience is winching others out and I haven;t had to winch myself yet : )

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wherever we park it will be home !!
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Good point - it had not occurred to me. My winching experience is winching others out and I haven;t had to winch myself yet : )
Oddly enough, I've ever only had to winch myself once in all our travels. Gooey mud, uphill narrow track, lots of trees. Wasn't stuck, we could have waited it out for the sun to dry it up, but instead, I hooked up and made it up without spinning a tire.