Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Columbia, MO, USA
First Name
Adam
Last Name
D
Member #

Just got back from a 2800 mile trip. Started in MO, blazed through KS at night. Nothing to see there...lol Stopped at the Great Sand Dunes in CO, then Moab UT, and up to ID. If your ever in or near Rye, CO I would highly recommend you stop and take a look at Bishops Castle. Well worth the added time. We stopped by several REI stores and picked up some amazing deals in their garage section. I just missed a Dometic CFX3 75 for $600. Tried to buy it off the customer that got it for $200 more but he know what he had. lol. Anyway was in my brothers 2017 F150 he just bought here in MO so we made a fun trip out of getting it home for him.

Atc210

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Columbia, MO, USA
First Name
Adam
Last Name
D
Member #

I'm headed to sedalia Missouri. Started off in Washington ill be camping along the way. Missouri will be home for the next year
Be sure to check out Bishops Castle in Rye, CO if your not in a hurry. (Bishop Castle - Adventure To New Heights | Official Website) Salida, MO? There is nothing there but the fair grounds, well Whiteman AFB is right there also. Welcome to the show me state, I would turn back now if its still a option. lol J/K

Gmanpaint

Rank II

Enthusiast II

St. Louis, MO, USA
First Name
Gregg
Last Name
M
A small group of us went to SW CO for a week. Camped in Ouray, and hit the Mnt trails around the area.

I-70 westbound was shut down after Denver due to the fires, so we took the more scenic route, by dropping down to CO Springs, then SW across the state from there.

Had to stop in Colby KS for a trailer brake issue, and a power steering issue on the rig. Besides those inconveniences, the trip was a blast.

trailer hub brake worked on in KS.jpg

Had to give the rig a cooling down period at the top of Monarch pass and the continental divide. That long steep climb is brutal on trans temps. Going down the other side you never need to touch the skinny pedal. We got 59 mpg going down. LOL!

Continental divide monarch pass.jpg
Top of Monarch pass 11k ft.jpg

Scenery up high on these trails (actually county roads) are breath taking. We seen old mining equipment, and ghost towns evey where along the way. To think these working structures, homes, and trails was built by the old timers, using horse & buggy transport, just boggles the mind as to how they accomplished it. If they had 1/10th of what we have today, I can only imagine what these hard working people could have done up there.

Each trail has it's own feel, and views all to it's own. There are so many trails in this area, you can spend a week a year for decades trying to do them all. Most, you will want to do over & over again. There is no other place like it, and once it has it's hooks in you, you will fight to get back!

A few random pics:

lake como 2.jpg
Lake como.jpg
day one 3.jpg
top of engineer 2.jpg
Engineer pass above tree line.jpg
bridal falls above 1.jpg
black bear switchbacks and waterfall.jpg

This area is seasonal. Mid July through Mid September is best. Any other times, the weather is a major factor. Massive snowfalls cover these mountain tops, and trails are buried in up to 30 feet of snow. Because they are county roads, they get plowed with bulldozers, to get them open. Some Snow survives the entire summer up there, and can be seen every where. Beautiful to see.

Surrounding towns have trail heads, and exits. Some trails are one way, and are subject to closing for one reason or another. Always check the trails status ahead of time, if your there.
Lodging is available in each of these towns. From campgrounds to hotels. Primitive boondocking galore along the trails, but are heavily watched by the counties. Delicate Alpine Tundra exists here, and stay the trail rules are not only in effect, but are enforced by law. Please educate yourself on these rules, before ever heading to this area. It's a trip of a lifetime for most. Lot's of planning, and hard prep work is involved, but on man, it is sooooo worth it!

Terran Mace

Rank III
Launch Member

Explorer I

Sedalia Mo
First Name
Terran
Last Name
Mace
Member #

I'm headed to sedalia Missouri. Started off in Washington ill be camping along the way. Missouri will be home for the next year
Be sure to check out Bishops Castle in Rye, CO if your not in a hurry. (Bishop Castle - Adventure To New Heights | Official Website) Salida, MO? There is nothing there but the fair grounds, well Whiteman AFB is right there also. Welcome to the show me state, I would turn back now if its still a option. lol J/K
Yeah my girlfriend is stationed in whiteman. Its only temporary.

Reactions: Broke

UploadAdventure

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Dixon, MO, USA
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Monsalvo
Member #

A small group of us went to SW CO for a week. Camped in Ouray, and hit the Mnt trails around the area.

I-70 westbound was shut down after Denver due to the fires, so we took the more scenic route, by dropping down to CO Springs, then SW across the state from there.

Had to stop in Colby KS for a trailer brake issue, and a power steering issue on the rig. Besides those inconveniences, the trip was a blast.

View attachment 170455

Had to give the rig a cooling down period at the top of Monarch pass and the continental divide. That long steep climb is brutal on trans temps. Going down the other side you never need to touch the skinny pedal. We got 59 mpg going down. LOL!

View attachment 170456
View attachment 170457

Scenery up high on these trails (actually county roads) are breath taking. We seen old mining equipment, and ghost towns evey where along the way. To think these working structures, homes, and trails was built by the old timers, using horse & buggy transport, just boggles the mind as to how they accomplished it. If they had 1/10th of what we have today, I can only imagine what these hard working people could have done up there.

Each trail has it's own feel, and views all to it's own. There are so many trails in this area, you can spend a week a year for decades trying to do them all. Most, you will want to do over & over again. There is no other place like it, and once it has it's hooks in you, you will fight to get back!

A few random pics:

View attachment 170458
View attachment 170459
View attachment 170460
View attachment 170461
View attachment 170462
View attachment 170463
View attachment 170464

This area is seasonal. Mid July through Mid September is best. Any other times, the weather is a major factor. Massive snowfalls cover these mountain tops, and trails are buried in up to 30 feet of snow. Because they are county roads, they get plowed with bulldozers, to get them open. Some Snow survives the entire summer up there, and can be seen every where. Beautiful to see.

Surrounding towns have trail heads, and exits. Some trails are one way, and are subject to closing for one reason or another. Always check the trails status ahead of time, if your there.
Lodging is available in each of these towns. From campgrounds to hotels. Primitive boondocking galore along the trails, but are heavily watched by the counties. Delicate Alpine Tundra exists here, and stay the trail rules are not only in effect, but are enforced by law. Please educate yourself on these rules, before ever heading to this area. It's a trip of a lifetime for most. Lot's of planning, and hard prep work is involved, but on man, it is sooooo worth it!
I love Colorado

Reactions: Gmanpaint

Atc210

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Columbia, MO, USA
First Name
Adam
Last Name
D
Member #

How can we change that...lol Where are the impromptu gatherings / when? Also, how well received are random chats from forum members. I see you all on the map and often wonder if your still active or want to be cold chatted. haha I drive a big girl so may not be able to attend anything with narrow trails, but hey I am not apposed to a ride along once I get to know ya'all that is. :wink:

Broke

Rank 0
Launch Member

Contributor III

Blue Springs, MO, USA
First Name
Adam
Last Name
G
I will typically post up here when headed out for a weekend trip. I too drive a big girl, but am not afraid of narrow trails...
Working on a plan to head north and escape the bugs and heat.

Reactions: UploadAdventure

UploadAdventure

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Dixon, MO, USA
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Monsalvo
Member #

I will typically post up here when headed out for a weekend trip. I too drive a big girl, but am not afraid of narrow trails...
Working on a plan to head north and escape the bugs and heat.
Heat is leaving us! It’s been chilly at night the last little bit.

UploadAdventure

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Dixon, MO, USA
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Monsalvo
Member #

How can we change that...lol Where are the impromptu gatherings / when? Also, how well received are random chats from forum members. I see you all on the map and often wonder if your still active or want to be cold chatted. haha I drive a big girl so may not be able to attend anything with narrow trails, but hey I am not apposed to a ride along once I get to know ya'all that is. :wink:
We can change it by setting up a meet!

If we can iron out some dates I’ll be sure to post it up on the STL Tacoma stuff.
Also. We could always do something like a “Rigs and Coffee” at Axleboy Offroad. The owner is a good friend and said a meet like that would be okay

Atc210

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Columbia, MO, USA
First Name
Adam
Last Name
D
Member #

We can change it by setting up a meet!

If we can iron out some dates I’ll be sure to post it up on the STL Tacoma stuff.
Also. We could always do something like a “Rigs and Coffee” at Axleboy Offroad. The owner is a good friend and said a meet like that would be okay
Just seen this, Axleboy is in O'Fallon right?

UploadAdventure

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Dixon, MO, USA
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Monsalvo
Member #

Cool, what do you need from me to help set it up? We just need to be aware of the up coming events so we don’t double book.
I just need to text the owner. I’ve been slammed. It won’t be mid November more than likely.