First Name
Lyle
Last Name
Mardis
Member #

Service Branch
US Navy
Hey there,

Have you ever been on a road trip….just driving and you notice a small dirt road that disappears way out in the distance…….and wonder “where does that go”.…..but then keep driving to your destination? Well, I want to make that turn and start taking these roads, start exploring to places I haven’t been.

Name is Paul, beginner in overlanding, the trail to Laurel Lake, Mammoth area, is about my speed for now. I love Alabama Hills and anything else up the 395 from Lone Pine to Mammoth. Wanting to go to Death Valley and start exploring trails all over south west Utah. Currently live in SoCal but will be relocating to Southwest Utah next year.

Vehicle is a 2015 GMC 2500HD 4X4 Duramax. 5 inch lift on 35s currently with just some basic light mods and recovery gear. Next step is Fab4 bumper so I can install a nice winch and some additional cube lights. I have a motor sports background and comfortable working on DIY installs.

When I was younger, I hiked across the Western US for years, climbed Mt Rainer, Mt Whitney 3X, etc - but today I am more into quad riding, kayaking, mountain biking and photography.

I joined here as I hope to learn on where to go, avoid mistakes, and see what mods work, what is necessary, nice to have, and what really isn’t, based on real world experience from those who are much more experienced than I.

Photography is one of my hobbies, and I like being able to get out in the middle of nowhere and do some Astrophotography of the night sky. The darker the area, the better. I literally could post pictures for weeks but will restrain myself to these few:
View attachment 252334View attachment 252335View attachment 252337View attachment 252338View attachment 252336View attachment 252343View attachment 252342View attachment 252340
Nice photos Paul. Welcome to Overland Bound.

Bad Sport

Rank V
Investor

Advocate II

National City, CA, USA
First Name
Lyle
Last Name
Mardis
Member #

Service Branch
US Navy
Hi, let’s introduce myself

1)View attachment 252506
2) South of Brazil
3) 2012/13 Land Rover Discovery lifted (3”) with Johnson Rods and 255/55R19 BF boots!
4) Overlanding Experience Background: Newb
Hi Ramez. Welcome to Overland Bound from southern CA. Nice photo.

Sirius_jlur

Rank II

Enthusiast I

Mission, British Columbia, Canada
First Name
Cole
Last Name
Bernard
Member #

Hi all! Wanted to do a quick intro of myself! I'm Cole, located in Mission, BC.

Currently I drive a 2019 JLU Rubicon, I just bought it and haven't done much to it yet but slowly we will get there!

I'm somewhere just beyond novice in my wheeling experience, I did have a jeep prior to this one (with a short stint driving a regular car) and have some experience but definitely still have lots to learn!

Attachments

Mathes

Local Expert Massachusetts, USA
Launch Member

Explorer I

Norton, Massachusetts, USA
First Name
Matthew
Last Name
Robinson
Member #

Hi all. Am a very new beginner member who got interested in Overlanding after watching Mountain State Overland and Expedition Overland on YouTube.

Location: North New Jersey, so miles from any real Overlanding territory.
Rig: Chevy Equinox 2008 AWD, pretty good for road trips.
Experience: watching YouTube :)

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
You're on my side of the world! Southern mass here! Welcome aboard!

Lone Wolf 1965

Rank V

Traveler III

Casper, Natrona County, Wyoming, United States
First Name
Dale
Last Name
Gregory
Member #

Service Branch
U.S. Navy

Currently I drive a 2019 JLU Rubicon, I just bought it and haven't done much to it yet but slowly we will get there!

I'm somewhere just beyond novice in my wheeling experience, I did have a jeep prior to this one (with a short stint driving a regular car) and have some experience but definitely still have lots to learn!
Welcome to Overland Bound

freak4life

Local Expert

Contributor II

Cañon City, Colorado, USA
First Name
rich
Last Name
anderssohn

Hello Cole, welcome to Overland Bound.

Bengt N

Rank VII

Member III

Sparreholm, Södermanland, Sweden
First Name
Bengt
Last Name
Nordrup
Member #

Hallo Cole
Welcome to OBO
Greetings from Sweden
WBR
Bengt N

roots66

Local Expert, Texas USA
Launch Member

Member III

Weir, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Roots
Member #

Service Branch
USAF

Hello and welcome to the OB family.

Fat-Tire

Rank V

Off-Road Ranger I

Elgin, Cook County, Illinois, United States
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Graham
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRYJ626

Welcome to the OB community from Illinois.

Overland Ewack

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Glenside, PA, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Wacker
Member #

Welcome to the OB Community!

justagomer

Rank II

Contributor II

Mesa, AZ
First Name
Russ
Last Name
Ripley
Member #

Been a “fan” for quite some time. Found ourselves slightly lost is Southern Az trying to follow BDR. Remembered that Overland Bound had an app and sure enough, app had the BDR route (in AZ) and we were not on it. signed up immediately and then used it to finish BDR seg 1 & 2. And the route definitely tested my rookie abilities.

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Been a “fan” for quite some time. Found ourselves slightly lost is Southern Az trying to follow BDR. Remembered that Overland Bound had an app and sure enough, app had the BDR route (in AZ) and we were not on it. signed up immediately and then used it to finish BDR seg 1 & 2. And the route definitely tested my rookie abilities.
Welcome to Overland Bound
Glad the OB1 App was able to help you out. Please review the track you used, when reviewing you can add multiple photos.
Check the forum calendar and Meet-Up page for events, and the Trip Planning page for trips being planned by members. These pages can be filtered by region.
Overland Bound Meetups
Overland Trip Planning
You can use the Member Map to find other members and events in your area. You can also send a message directly from the map to other members.
RESOURCE MAP
U.S. SouthWest (AZ NM TX OK)
App Tutorials
Overland Bound One App Adventure and Expedition Tutorials
Take a try at adding a track or point of interest to the app.
You are in the Southwest Region, local information can also be found in the “Overland Bound by Region”
OVERLAND BOUND COMMUNITY
The Local Expert in your area is @freak4life
Quick adult & youthTread Lightly online awareness course.
Online Courses - Tread Lightly
Tread Lightly! Youth Online Course
Check out Overland Expo https://www.OverlandExpo.com
If you have any questions don't hesitate to message me, hopefully I can get you going in the right direction. @Kent R or Kent@OverlandBound.com