Local Expert

Contributor II

Cañon City, Colorado, USA
First Name
rich
Last Name
anderssohn
Hey there,

Have you ever been on a road trip….just driving and you notice a small dirt road that disappears way out in the distance…….and wonder “where does that go”.…..but then keep driving to your destination? Well, I want to make that turn and start taking these roads, start exploring to places I haven’t been.

Name is Paul, beginner in overlanding, the trail to Laurel Lake, Mammoth area, is about my speed for now. I love Alabama Hills and anything else up the 395 from Lone Pine to Mammoth. Wanting to go to Death Valley and start exploring trails all over south west Utah. Currently live in SoCal but will be relocating to Southwest Utah next year.

Vehicle is a 2015 GMC 2500HD 4X4 Duramax. 5 inch lift on 35s currently with just some basic light mods and recovery gear. Next step is Fab4 bumper so I can install a nice winch and some additional cube lights. I have a motor sports background and comfortable working on DIY installs.

When I was younger, I hiked across the Western US for years, climbed Mt Rainer, Mt Whitney 3X, etc - but today I am more into quad riding, kayaking, mountain biking and photography.

I joined here as I hope to learn on where to go, avoid mistakes, and see what mods work, what is necessary, nice to have, and what really isn’t, based on real world experience from those who are much more experienced than I.

Photography is one of my hobbies, and I like being able to get out in the middle of nowhere and do some Astrophotography of the night sky. The darker the area, the better. I literally could post pictures for weeks but will restrain myself to these few:
View attachment 252334View attachment 252335View attachment 252337View attachment 252338View attachment 252336View attachment 252343View attachment 252342View attachment 252340
Hello Paul, welcome to Overland Bound. Just wondering what camera/lens aperture/shutter speed you used for the night sky shot.

freak4life

Local Expert

Contributor II

First Name
rich
Last Name
anderssohn

Fat-Tire

Rank V

Off-Road Ranger I

Elgin, Cook County, Illinois, United States
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Graham
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRYJ626
Hey there,

Have you ever been on a road trip….just driving and you notice a small dirt road that disappears way out in the distance…….and wonder “where does that go”.…..but then keep driving to your destination? Well, I want to make that turn and start taking these roads, start exploring to places I haven’t been.

Name is Paul, beginner in overlanding, the trail to Laurel Lake, Mammoth area, is about my speed for now. I love Alabama Hills and anything else up the 395 from Lone Pine to Mammoth. Wanting to go to Death Valley and start exploring trails all over south west Utah. Currently live in SoCal but will be relocating to Southwest Utah next year.

Vehicle is a 2015 GMC 2500HD 4X4 Duramax. 5 inch lift on 35s currently with just some basic light mods and recovery gear. Next step is Fab4 bumper so I can install a nice winch and some additional cube lights. I have a motor sports background and comfortable working on DIY installs.

When I was younger, I hiked across the Western US for years, climbed Mt Rainer, Mt Whitney 3X, etc - but today I am more into quad riding, kayaking, mountain biking and photography.

I joined here as I hope to learn on where to go, avoid mistakes, and see what mods work, what is necessary, nice to have, and what really isn’t, based on real world experience from those who are much more experienced than I.

Photography is one of my hobbies, and I like being able to get out in the middle of nowhere and do some Astrophotography of the night sky. The darker the area, the better. I literally could post pictures for weeks but will restrain myself to these few:
View attachment 252334View attachment 252335View attachment 252337View attachment 252338View attachment 252336View attachment 252343View attachment 252342View attachment 252340
Welcome aboard to the OB community from Illinois.

Shahn

Rank VI

Off-Road Ranger I

Snohomish County, WA, USA
First Name
Shahn
Last Name
Brown
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS - WRQD549
hello, i have a 2013 silverado i am building at the moment. i am in montana, but travel looking for property around montana, and possibly the dakotas soon. pics soon, its snowing like crazy outside. lol
Greetings Spencer, welcome to Overland Bound!

Shahn

Rank VI

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Shahn
Last Name
Brown
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS - WRQD549
Hello fellow enthusiasts!
I’m in the Phoenix metro area and run a 2001 4Runner that I bought new. It’s built to handle the AZ trails.
I’m intermediate at best and love new adventures and challenges! Looking forward to using this platform to connect with others in the area and experience some new spots, locally and out of area.
Greetings Cadrummo, welcome to Overland Bound!

Shahn

Rank VI

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Shahn
Last Name
Brown
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS - WRQD549
Hey there,

Greetings Paul, welcome to Overland!

Psfracer

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Santa Clarita, CA, USA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Fercho
Hello Paul, welcome to Overland Bound. Just wondering what camera/lens aperture/shutter speed you used for the night sky shot.
I use a Nikon D500 and an Sigma Art 14-24MM lens.

Here is what I do. Set up on tripod, use a number of different Milky Way apps to tell you the best time to shoot the Milky Way. Generally speaking summer time for northern hemisphere and if you are in a dark sky area, you should be able to see it as your eyes adjust to the night sky. Ideally, shoot during new moon.

Camera settings: Go as wide as possible and aperture wide open. 14MM for me at F2.8. Hopefully you have a lens capable of F2.8 or lower. Set on tripod, 25 seconds, ISO 3200. Some people will go to ISO 6400. Use self timer so when you hit the shutter, the camera doesn’t start taking the photo until 10 seconds later. This will avoid you moving the camera at all while pressing the shutter button.

This sounds stupid but make sure all surrounding lights from vehicles, your head lamps, campsites, are off (unless you want one on for light painting of foreground objects). I took a few that came out pretty good as the surrounding trees were kind of orangish which was light from the campfire.

Also a key item: during the day, take your combo and focus on a distant tree leaf or pine needles or something, and when tack sharp, mark that on your lens. You will need to go to that exact focus spot at night while shooting the stars. Most lenses have a pretty wide focus area for “infinity” and if you are off, the stars won’t be points, they will be out of focus.

Also, if you run a shutter speed too long, the stars will also move creating more of a short line vs a point. Thats why most of the time you stick to around 30 second shutter speeds. The wider the lens, the longer the shutter speed you can do without that happening.

freak4life

Local Expert

Contributor II

First Name
rich
Last Name
anderssohn
I use a Nikon D500 and an Sigma Art 14-24MM lens.

Here is what I do. Set up on tripod, use a number of different Milky Way apps to tell you the best time to shoot the Milky Way. Generally speaking summer time for northern hemisphere and if you are in a dark sky area, you should be able to see it as your eyes adjust to the night sky. Ideally, shoot during new moon.

Camera settings: Go as wide as possible and aperture wide open. 14MM for me at F2.8. Hopefully you have a lens capable of F2.8 or lower. Set on tripod, 25 seconds, ISO 3200. Some people will go to ISO 6400. Use self timer so when you hit the shutter, the camera doesn’t start taking the photo until 10 seconds later. This will avoid you moving the camera at all while pressing the shutter button.

This sounds stupid but make sure all surrounding lights from vehicles, your head lamps, campsites, are off (unless you want one on for light painting of foreground objects). I took a few that came out pretty good as the surrounding trees were kind of orangish which was light from the campfire.

Also a key item: during the day, take your combo and focus on a distant tree leaf or pine needles or something, and when tack sharp, mark that on your lens. You will need to go to that exact focus spot at night while shooting the stars. Most lenses have a pretty wide focus area for “infinity” and if you are off, the stars won’t be points, they will be out of focus.

Also, if you run a shutter speed too long, the stars will also move creating more of a short line vs a point. Thats why most of the time you stick to around 30 second shutter speeds. The wider the lens, the longer the shutter speed you can do without that happening.
Thanks I love the pic and appreciate the response. I have a Nikon D300 and a D810. All my glass is constant 2.8, (14-24, 24-70 and 70-200). The fastest glass I have is on my primes but they are a 50 and 85 and the macro 105 is a 2.8. I am working on my purchasing agent for a D810A as I just love Astro-photography. She flat out refused my request for a 200-400 constant 2.8, I believe she is being very unreasonable. Soon I hope to own a tilt/shift 85mm. I love to hear how others set up their pics, especially for night shoots. I am retiring very soon and hope to be able to practice my hobby a lot more very soon. We are contemplating a move to Colorado and getting out of Phoenix. Our night sky is terrible and I have long drives to achieve the needed dark sky. I hope to speak with you more, have a great day and thanks again for the response. Rich

JaredThomsen

Rank VI

Member III

Concord, Contra Costa County, California, United States
First Name
Jared
Last Name
Thomsen
Member #

Hi Everyone,

I have a 2020 Jeep Gladiator. Little too beat up to get out backpacking like I used to, so built out the Overland rig to get carry me through the adventures into the great outdoors.
Hey Brian, welcome to Overland Bound from Northern California!

Last edited:

JaredThomsen

Rank VI

Member III

First Name
Jared
Last Name
Thomsen
Member #

hello, i have a 2013 silverado i am building at the moment. i am in montana, but travel looking for property around montana, and possibly the dakotas soon. pics soon, its snowing like crazy outside. lol
Hey Spencer, welcome to Overland Bound from Northern California!

JaredThomsen

Rank VI

Member III

First Name
Jared
Last Name
Thomsen
Member #

Hello fellow enthusiasts!
I’m in the Phoenix metro area and run a 2001 4Runner that I bought new. It’s built to handle the AZ trails.
I’m intermediate at best and love new adventures and challenges! Looking forward to using this platform to connect with others in the area and experience some new spots, locally and out of area.
Hey there, welcome to Overland Bound from Northern California!