Massachusetts Sound Off!

• HTML tutorial

Franklin Pepe

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Weymouth Massachusetts
Member #

Relatively new to the group and overlanding but have done some camping. I have a lot to learn and possibly some to share. I'm from Weymouth MA

Picture of my old truck. I recently purchased an 05 Sequoia

Frank
OB #1761

finlayforprez

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Member II

Ronks, PA, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
West
Member #

Hello MA/NH folks,

If anyone does plan a trip, let me know. Looking to get out more in New England. Thanks!

Regards, David

I have a few photos below of a recent trip to the gun range, though very little off-roading on that trip:

Reactions: CapeXterra

finlayforprez

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Member II

Ronks, PA, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
West
Member #

just a next door to MA, in CT saying hi. Looking for any others looking to do some Overland based trips. Did one with Exploring NH.org. great forum.
I replied on your introduction thread as well. I'm also looking to get a small group together for some trips around New England. Have you tried Old Voluntown Road down in RI/CT?

Marco Correia

Rank 0

Contributor I

I replied on your introduction thread as well. I'm also looking to get a small group together for some trips around New England. Have you tried Old Voluntown Road down in RI/CT?
I have not tried Voluntown Rd yet, I'm game for spring time. I'm also a member on ExploringNewHampshire.org. they do a few trips. Let me know about setting something up.

Reactions: finlayforprez

finlayforprez

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Member II

Ronks, PA, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
West
Member #

I have not tried Voluntown Rd yet, I'm game for spring time. I'm also a member on ExploringNewHampshire.org. they do a few trips. Let me know about setting something up.
Sounds good! I'll let you know when I am heading there and maybe you can join me. I also know a cool trail in Oxford, MA. I go to NH often, so I want to join that group too. I joined Eastern 4x4 group, but they are hard core rock crawlers, so probably way over my head and capability.

Marco Correia

Rank 0

Contributor I

Sounds good! I'll let you know when I am heading there and maybe you can join me. I also know a cool trail in Oxford, MA. I go to NH often, so I want to join that group too. I joined Eastern 4x4 group, but they are hard core rock crawlers, so probably way over my head and capability.
Sounds good. I was a member of Toyota Crawlers but same issue the rigs were built for rock crawling mostly. I like doing mild to moderate trails to a destination with camping involved. I don't go crazy as my truck is my do it all everyday, as is yours I'm sure. Hopefully others are interested as well. Looking at getting sliders some time late winter/spring since my trucks wheelbase is long.

finlayforprez

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Member II

Ronks, PA, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
West
Member #

Finlayforprez looks like your doing some shooting in your pictures. If so let me know as I also enjoy shooting.
Yes! Now have a membership to a range near Grafton, MA, but there are also a few places in the woods where you can do some target shooting. I just got my license to carry for MA when I moved and still transferring some guns. CT also seems a bit strict, but likely will get nonresident permit. I'm not even going to bother with RI, it's way too strict and they tend to reject most applications I heard. I'll keep you posted and would be awesome to combine an off-road trip with some target shooting.

finlayforprez

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Member II

Ronks, PA, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
West
Member #

Sounds good. I was a member of Toyota Crawlers but same issue the rigs were built for rock crawling mostly. I like doing mild to moderate trails to a destination with camping involved. I don't go crazy as my truck is my do it all everyday, as is yours I'm sure. Hopefully others are interested as well. Looking at getting sliders some time late winter/spring since my trucks wheelbase is long.
I definitely know my limitations, but will try most trails. I am well protected as far as sliders, skid plates, steel bumpers, but my vehicle is just not set up for rock crawling. People think I'm crazy wheeling a newer rover but I love it. Hahaha! I'm not about scenic expeditions and some of the unkept roads up north. Sadly New England is more about technical trails that all look similar rather than some of the epic views and expedition roads back in CA and UT. I have been on a few trails here and it's predominantly right forest, rocks, and mud. I definitely miss out west when it comes to overlanding.

Marco Correia

Rank 0

Contributor I

NE has different terrain for sure. We have mud everywhere as well as rocks. I have done my share of mud, what a PITA to clean and it never completely washes off. Driving up north gives us different views into the mountains. I also have done a trip to Raush Creek offroad park and that was a great time, a weekend long trip[ for sure.

finlayforprez

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Member II

Ronks, PA, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
West
Member #

NE has different terrain for sure. We have mud everywhere as well as rocks. I have done my share of mud, what a PITA to clean and it never completely washes off. Driving up north gives us different views into the mountains. I also have done a trip to Raush Creek offroad park and that was a great time, a weekend long trip[ for sure.
Dare I say, I actually don't like mud. Just way too annoying. I have not been to Rausch Creek yet, but definitely planning a trip this summer at some point. It looks like a great place!

Dan Z Apices

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Lowell, MA
Member #

I was wondering about Mass presence here and never had the mind to search for it! Grew up in Plymouth, college in Worcester, work in NH and live in Lowell now.

Reactions: finlayforprez

finlayforprez

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Member II

Ronks, PA, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
West
Member #

I was wondering about Mass presence here and never had the mind to search for it! Grew up in Plymouth, college in Worcester, work in NH and live in Lowell now.
There are a few of us, though I split my time other places. Where did you goto college in Worcester? I went to WPI undergrad before heading to medical school.