Johohoward27

Rank 0

Contributor I

Provo, UT, USA
First Name
Joe
Last Name
Howard
Hey I’m Joseph, I’m looking for my first overland vehicle that could support my journey across the west coast, I will be hauling gear like surf boards, spearGuns, fishing poles, Water, Refrigerator, cooking equipment, SUP.
I could be in the road for a year or more.
I have a pretty flexible budget but not extravagant all together some where around 30k for the whole deal. How much should I be spending on a vehicle and what are some suggestions. I’ve been leaning towards a toyota but I’m 100% open to suggestions. THANK YOU...

tony chatman

Rank II

Contributor II

Bandon, Oregon, USA
First Name
tony
Last Name
chatman
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
ki7RIR
kind of a open question. going off road? do you need 4x4? how much you going to pack with you ? a new rig can take up all your funds before you ever leave..can get dependable rigs for anywhere from couple thou up. do you want a trailer? (pack a lot more stuff and bigger stuff). just you or family of 8 and 3 dogs.

Johohoward27

Rank 0

Contributor I

Provo, UT, USA
First Name
Joe
Last Name
Howard
kind of a open question. going off road? do you need 4x4? how much you going to pack with you ? a new rig can take up all your funds before you ever leave..can get dependable rigs for anywhere from couple thou up. do you want a trailer? (pack a lot more stuff and bigger stuff). just you or family of 8 and 3 dogs.
Thanks for asking the questions Tony,
First off I’ll be going solo.
I intend to be off Road capable, sand, dirt, mud, rain or snow.
Gear: I’ll Be taking the essentials, Along with recreational gear like a surfboard and fishing equipment. I have considered a trailer although I would like to go as minimalist as possible. I’m not well educated on what would be most effective for the price. Considering I will be on the road for a year I would like to be as prepared as possible so investing in a trailer could be the most beneficial addition to my trip.

DrivingTacoLoco

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Winston-Salem, NC, USA
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Weiss
Member #

If you can buy something already built try not to spend over $25K as there is always more to do. I spent $15K and have put another $4K and have not quite finished. $1000.00 for an unexpected AC compressor repair I wasn't counting on didn't help. There is always more to add. Trailers seem overpriced to me and they limit your off road capability. For more than 2 people you probably would need it. Inside SUV.

Decide where you plan to sleep. Roof Top Tent? Bed of pickup? How tall are you? I'm only 5'4" but I sleep on my back flat. I wanted a 6' bed on the truck, which gives me 70 usable inches x 48" wide. I built a wall at 1 wheelwell leaving me 39". Good enough for me.

I built a 9" high platform (height of (wheelwell) split down the middle. One side I have a water tank and my electrical with the other side for storage. It seemed like the best choice for me.

I would have preferred a TRD Off Road but 6' beds are rare. I got a TRD Sport and have added almost everything but a rear locker. I'll wait for a while as that's at least a $1500 install.

I have done most of the work myself and put in at least 100 hours so far. I have had a lot of fun with my new hobby. If you can't do the work yourself than that's more money.

I prefer Toyotas for the reliability. I would have considered a F150 but I didn't want the extra size. The big advantage is that they have been around a long time and there are many more available so the possibility of getting a better price is likely and repair parts are cheaper. They have gotten more reliable than the days Ford stood for fix or repair daily, but still not like Toyotas.

What ever you choose have fun and enjoy.

Jeff B

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Putnam County, New York, USA
Member #

Considering you might be on the road for a year or more, I would suggest a larger vehicle just for the comfort aspect of it. Another vehicle that might work for you is a sprinter type van. You can get them in 4x4, and they have plenty of living room available. They also could provide some interior storage (additional security) for some of the things you mentioned above. Whatever you pick, a faster/easier setup may be beneficial.

Anak

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandy Eggo
Put down one more recommendation for a van.

Living out of it for a year and hauling a surf board means you are going to want something large.

I think the challenge will be finding a 4x4 van that is in decent/reliable shape for under $30K.

Best of luck.

Reactions: Road

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
Totally agree with Anak...I love my Tundra, but if I was doing what you're doing, I would rather a van. More storage, better security, more comfort and easy to stick a rack on top to store your boards. But like he said, hard to find 4X in that price range. I go all over in my Tundra and rarely ever use 4WD. Once I was going thru some crap and thought I was already in 4WD so I hammered down and went thru it only to realize afterward that I WASN'T in 4WD, so not having it probably wont limit you as much as youd think. If limited by a budget, I'd rather sink money into water storage, portable hot shower unit, stuff I would want and use daily

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Make it three recommendations to get a van.

I've owned several and all have been driven extensively around the country in a variety of scenarios and environments. I believe you can get a good one, and outfit it the way you want, for under 30K.

My first diesel van, a well-used '98 Chevy Express long-wheelbase and former delivery van, cost me only $2700.00 (not 27,000). I put around 300,000 miles on it. I lived out of it and drove the piss out of it all over the US for more than eight years, mostly highway. It had over 500,000 miles when I retired it.

I've had my current van, an '08 GMC Savana, also diesel, since mid 2011 and have driven it all over North America too, from the coast of Maine to California and northern Quebec to the Mexican border. It cost more like $20,000 and was in like new shape.

My suggestion would be to get AWD or 4wd IF you can but to not get too hung up on it. None of my vans, including the two most recent, had 4wd. My current van has taken me everywhere I've wanted to go, even towing an off-road trailer (which is 3500 GVW), from Padre Island beaches on the Gulf of Mexico (got stuck in an old buried soft-sand firepit, got myself out) to 62 days straight of being aired down for back country along the Mexican border (literally hundreds of miles of gravel and rocky roads, not stuck once). Having, and being used to, a limited slip rear end (positraction) can overcome a lot of, not all, situations.

I would also suggest not to go too strong on re-fitting the interior with permanent built-ins if you're going to be doing a lot of different activities over the course of your travels. I've had vans I've built in cupboards, extensive storage, counter and sink, pull out desk, etc and over the years have let my van interiors evolve to a much more simple, functional, and multi-purpose design. Images below.

I'll leave type of van, and whether gas or diesel, or hightop or not, up to you, though have definite thoughts on brands and engine, too, if you want more info.

vannery-int_6042-900.jpeg
Interior last year.

vaninterior-181127_7050-900.jpg
Current interior

packeduprolling_0577-blkd-900.jpeg
Loaded up and rolling

Last edited:

DrivingTacoLoco

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Winston-Salem, NC, USA
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Weiss
Member #

Vans are great for many reasons. All the comments above are true. If you choose to go with a 2 wheel drive try to get one with limited slip. Invest in good tires.

Don't plan on 4 wheeling with a van. If you push your limits recovery gear will be very helpful. Maxtrax, winch, recovery cables etc. Communication gear might be a good idea if you will be in places with no or poor cell signals.

Good luck. Happy hunting

Reactions: Johohoward27

stoney126

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

Napa Ca
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Stoner
Member #

Van with dirt bike! I'd like to do something similar with my SD.

Something to effect your budget is what iate your mechanic skills? Shop rates are 70 dollars to 230 dollars(sf bay area) . Solid mechanical failure are is to figure out but electrical issues can be a nightmare. Something to think about when looking at the age of the vehicle. Also overall cost of maint is something to consider. Not sure if you have extra income coming in during you trip . Possibly consider something you can put a extended warranty on .

I second Road thought of dont go permanent. Tryst me your ideas of how you want things will change often.

Honestly if rolling solo it's hard to argue the quality and ease of a van. However if you go SUV removing the seats in the rear will free up some space.

Buying prebuilt can save some dough as we all know selling your equppied veh usually see a huge loss. But get it checked out if you do by a reputable shop, preferably on familiar with offroad veh.

Dilldog

Rank V
Launch Member
Investor

Influencer I

Spokane, WA.
First Name
Dillon
Last Name
Wilke
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LVO/ WRQL275
Service Branch
USAF
If I were to be going your rout first thing that pops in my mind is a Suburban (though a Ford or GM van would work very well too). Tons of space, tons of capability, super easy to work on. I will admit though that older GM stuff is certainly not free of issues.
But for me when I look for a rig that I will be depending on long term I look first and foremost at parts support and ease of getting it fixed at a shop. Even the most reliable rig will fail, and what good is it if you have to wait for weeks for a part, and pay more than you need to in a shop because the mechanics are learning as they go?
Many here know I am a huge proponents of running domestics for the country you are in. Even if you run into problems running a "less reliable" rig, the benefit of having experienced mechanics and parts availability will out weigh everything else.

4wheelspulling

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Chelan, WA.
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Myers
Member #

Like others, I would look at a Van or Ford excursion or Chevy suburban. Best with 4x4 and diesel, but to each his own. Look forward to see what you do get for your up and coming adventures! Vance.

Timmy92

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Nebraska
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Liebentritt
Id do a ford expedition, chevy suburban or tahoe, toyota sequoia or any 3rd row seating 4x4 suv with AT tires. they have lots of room and mount things to the roof. most stock vehicles are capable off roading. dont go cheap on tires for the long trip

Reactions: DrivingTacoLoco

Anak

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandy Eggo
I love my Suburban, but I wouldn't want to live out of it for months at a time.

The biggest issue for me is the lack of headroom in the back. Trying to operate out of there gets hard on the knees and the back. It gets old pretty fast. Unless someone is really short, like 4' tall short, I think they will find it an uncomfortable choice.

DrivingTacoLoco

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Winston-Salem, NC, USA
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Weiss
Member #

Good points. Even a van unless has a high roof is too short for standing. Most tents have the same issue. There is no perfect vehicle. You need to decide what compromises you are willing to live with.
I have noticed a lot of people both 4x4es and RVers change vehicles after living with one. Everyone for their own reasons. Take your time and do the research and go for it. What ever choice you make will be wrong for many reasons. Hopefully the good outweighs the bad.

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
[kinda stinky advice, but your price range reminded me of:]

Johohoward27

Rank 0

Contributor I

Provo, UT, USA
First Name
Joe
Last Name
Howard
[kinda stinky advice, but your price range reminded me of:]
Yeah absolutely I’ve been thinking of a vehicle like that.
On another note What would be wrong with something like a 70’s Pinzgauer 710K