Looking for some Advice :)

• HTML tutorial

Anak

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandy Eggo
Most of those old military vehicles are geared to barely do 55mph, get single digit fuel economy and require frequent replacement of expensive tires. Be aware they are heavy. And if they break down, replacement pieces are not likely to be available at your local Napa.

Do some research on those fronts before you dive into that world.

Reactions: Road

Johohoward27

Rank 0

Contributor I

Provo, UT, USA
First Name
Joe
Last Name
Howard
Most of those old military vehicles are geared to barely do 55mph, get single digit fuel economy and require frequent replacement of expensive tires. Be aware they are heavy. And if they break down, replacement pieces are not likely to be available at your local Napa.

Do some research on those fronts before you dive into that world.
Thanks for the info

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
'70's pin is a '70's vehicle. LMTV's are 1998+ and use a pretty standard engine and trans. $30k when mildly rebuilt. Some are very low mileage. Possibly even problematic low mileage.

But yeah, getting stuck sucks. Serious planning for that with such a heavy truck.

55mph is no problem, if I had one, it would only ever see dirt roads.

Reactions: Johohoward27

Anak

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandy Eggo
How hard is it to find parts for one of those?

Do they share a platform with something which was available in the US?

They are an interesting vehicle, and I have seen one in San Diego that was probably a guy doing pretty much just what you are looking at doing. No RTT though. I don't know what his sleeping arrangement was. Looked like a happy camper surfer though.

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

I live and surf in So. Cal. Most of the surf spots are very car accessible. Most some of the outlaying spots you walk to, not off road to. You do not need 4 wheel drive. If you go to Baja a 1/2 or 3/4 ton, 2 wheel drive will get you to the trade spots also.
If you are going to live full time a van is the call. I would have a way to seal the light off the front of the drivers compartment. You'll be staying in parking lots and campgrounds and a low profile living is what you'll be doing at times. There are some pop tops out there too. A RTT is putting a target on yourself. You will be cover camping at times.
I have had vans and trucks, the vans are easier to live in. Small vans are fine but board storage will be a issue , I would stay away from them. Trucks and SUVs are more for living out of. Keep the boards inside at night you don't want to lose them.
I had a van that I could turn into a bed from the back doors to just behind the frt. seats with a velcro attached curtain just behind the seats. Surfboards under the bed at night.
You can pick up a 2012 or so ford E150 for about 12 to 16 k and convert it pretty cheap.

Reactions: Road

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Mitsubishi Delica 4wd
Without rear seats, using the back as storage and A roof top tent for sleep. Thoughts ?

I have friends from British Columbia who drive the piss out of their Delica ALL over north America. I met them on their way back north after they'd been adventuring all over Mexico. Delicas get a lot of respect. not as big inside as American vans and before I put a rooftop tent up top I'd see if other Delica owners have, and how much it throws off the center of gravity or not.

If a well-cared for Delica came my way and was the right price, I'd seriously consider it just to use for adventuring without my trailer, and use my current van and trailer for longer basecamp style adventures.

Last edited: