Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Madera, CA
First Name
Juan
Last Name
Galindo
Member #

So we have December 27 to January 5 right? So let’s get a little more specific on dates of stays at each camp locations.
I’m interested in doing this

Reactions: Stickman

justafish

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Oceanside, CA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Fisher
Member #

Hey guys, very interested. Will keep checking in for more details but I should be able to make it work with my schedule. Excited to meet some of you guys.

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

im just watching this thread because my rig wont be ready by then but this trip looks awesome
You could do this with a stock vehicle and a ground tent all day long. There will be others to help you out. I did something like this trip with my wife a 2 wheel drive little truck in the 90s. The road south of Puertecitos to Chapala was famous for how bad it was. You should go!!!

Reactions: KennethC

Stickman

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Eads, TN
First Name
Craig
Last Name
Treanor
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN4FBH
We are bowing out. Headed to Key West instead. Regrets. Maybe next winter...

gummybear

Rank 0

Contributor II

Gardnerville, NV, USA
First Name
Connor
Last Name
Hall
You could do this with a stock vehicle and a ground tent all day long. There will be others to help you out. I did something like this trip with my wife a 2 wheel drive little truck in the 90s. The road south of Puertecitos to Chapala was famous for how bad it was. You should go!!!
Ill keep that in mind and keep you updated, I'm leaning towards going that would be a lot of fun

KennethC

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate III

Calexico, CA
First Name
Kennth
Last Name
Claverie
I will throw this out there for discussion.
12/27 meet in San Felipe. I will offer that everyone involved can stay at my wife’s camp north of town. The only fee would be for the water. The camp has cabanas and flush toilets. https://m.facebook.com/ValerieCantu.H/
12/28 one more night in San Felipe. There is fishing to do or explore he surrounding area.
12/29. Head for Bahia de Los Angeles, stoping at Puertecitos and Gonzaga along the way.
12/30 another day in LA Bay. I could spend a week there easy.
12/31 Either head for Guerra Negro or San Fransicito bay. The road to San Fransicito bay is on the Baja 1000 race route and can be pretty rough. One can make a big loop and end up South East of Guerra Negro on Hwy 1. And then come through San Borja on the way back or head up Hwy 1 to San Quintin or Ensanada and go back into the USA at Tecate. After wine tasting in Guadalupe Valley.
Just my thoughts and to get something on paper so we can discuss.
Ken

monark192

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Vista, CA, USA
First Name
Simon
Last Name
Clark
Member #

Ken - thanks for offering your wife's camp. Does she allow dogs?

We have more time than your suggested itinerary so will maybe camp a night or two at Gonzaga Bay - Rancho Grande maybe?

From there, two or three nights at Bahia de Los Angeles - maybe Archelon Camp. Time to explore the area including Bahia de las animas.

One night Mission San Borja

Last night at Guadalupe Canyon Oasis before crossing back Sunday morning at Tecate.

I'm happy to avoid any of the Baja race course routes - they just become endless whoops and ruts and can be pretty miserable to drive on.

Juan Galindo

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Madera, CA
First Name
Juan
Last Name
Galindo
Member #

All that sounds great! Let’s make it happen, I agree staying a few more days.
Does anyone else have input on itinerary or should we move forward with rally point on USA side before we cross into Mexico and caravan to meet Ken in San Felipe?

Ryan Matthes

OB Ambassador
Supporter +
Investor

Explorer I

Chapel Hill, NC
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Matthes
Member #

I will throw this out there for discussion.
12/27 meet in San Felipe. I will offer that everyone involved can stay at my wife’s camp north of town. The only fee would be for the water. The camp has cabanas and flush toilets. https://m.facebook.com/ValerieCantu.H/
12/28 one more night in San Felipe. There is fishing to do or explore he surrounding area.
12/29. Head for Bahia de Los Angeles, stoping at Puertecitos and Gonzaga along the way.
12/30 another day in LA Bay. I could spend a week there easy.
12/31 Either head for Guerra Negro or San Fransicito bay. The road to San Fransicito bay is on the Baja 1000 race route and can be pretty rough. One can make a big loop and end up South East of Guerra Negro on Hwy 1. And then come through San Borja on the way back or head up Hwy 1 to San Quintin or Ensanada and go back into the USA at Tecate. After wine tasting in Guadalupe Valley.
Just my thoughts and to get something on paper so we can discuss.
Ken

Ken (and everyone) - my apologies for not checking the messages back sooner, thanks for the replies! I would maybe need to delay the start and meetup (either on US side or in San Felipe) to the 28th. We are leaving Albuquerque on the 27th and are waiting for some east-coast OBers to make it there on the 27th.

I was also thinking of a similar route - San Felipe for a night, Gonzaga Bay / Punta Final for a night, then not sure from there, but def a stop through Coco's. Was maybe thinking of a loop back across and then up to Ensenada or stay on the Cortez side. i've only been once for the 1000 in '17 and didn't get to see much below SF (other than Ensenada and across via the race course).

I love the enthusiasm and suggestions!! Feel free to email at ryan@backroadventures.com and we can keep chatting on details (or in here via messenger).

Thanks
Ryan

KennethC

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate III

Calexico, CA
First Name
Kennth
Last Name
Claverie
Ken - thanks for offering your wife's camp. Does she allow dogs?

We have more time than your suggested itinerary so will maybe camp a night or two at Gonzaga Bay - Rancho Grande maybe?

From there, two or three nights at Bahia de Los Angeles - maybe Archelon Camp. Time to explore the area including Bahia de las animas.

One night Mission San Borja

Last night at Guadalupe Canyon Oasis before crossing back Sunday morning at Tecate.

I'm happy to avoid any of the Baja race course routes - they just become endless whoops and ruts and can be pretty miserable to drive on.
Monark192, Yes the camp will accommodate dogs. There are some camp dogs, but they are small and really just barkers rather then biters.
My itinerary was only ideas up to 12/31 and then deciding which way to go from there, towards San Francisquito or Guerrero Negro. I have found that the farther down you go in Baja the better it gets.
Ken

Reactions: monark192

KennethC

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate III

Calexico, CA
First Name
Kennth
Last Name
Claverie
Ken (and everyone) - my apologies for not checking the messages back sooner, thanks for the replies! I would maybe need to delay the start and meetup (either on US side or in San Felipe) to the 28th. We are leaving Albuquerque on the 27th and are waiting for some east-coast OBers to make it there on the 27th.

I was also thinking of a similar route - San Felipe for a night, Gonzaga Bay / Punta Final for a night, then not sure from there, but def a stop through Coco's. Was maybe thinking of a loop back across and then up to Ensenada or stay on the Cortez side. i've only been once for the 1000 in '17 and didn't get to see much below SF (other than Ensenada and across via the race course).

I love the enthusiasm and suggestions!! Feel free to email at ryan@backroadventures.com and we can keep chatting on details (or in here via messenger).

Thanks
Ryan
Ryan, There are a lot of ways to see a bit of Baja. I threw out a few ideas for the sake of discussion. Another option is to travel hard the first couple of days and make it to San Juanico (Scorpian Bay) via Mission San Ignacio. Great surfing with a primitive beach with the added plus of an adventure getting there, and then just take our time getting back. I am up for almost anything.
Ken

monark192

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Vista, CA, USA
First Name
Simon
Last Name
Clark
Member #

Monark192, Yes the camp will accommodate dogs. There are some camp dogs, but they are small and really just barkers rather then biters.
My itinerary was only ideas up to 12/31 and then deciding which way to go from there, towards San Francisquito or Guerrero Negro. I have found that the farther down you go in Baja the better it gets.
Ken
I agree with you, the further south the better it gets. We won't make it further south than Bahia de LA this time to keep driving distances within my wife's preferences. Having a cold beverage on a beach in Baja with fellow Overland Bound members would be pretty cool.

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

San Juanico will be flat that time of year. I would jump to the pacific side across from BdLA. If there is a west or a north it will show there.

TRED LYT

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Laguna Beach, CA
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Sherman
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6ZPJ
Just came onto this thread and read everyone’s ideas. Sounds like a great trip. My wife and I might like to tag along if cool with you guys. We have a home (more like surf shack!) at K55 in Baja Norte. We love it down there, but always go low profile in my 1990 Ford F-150. I’ve always wanted to go explore, but have been hesitant to do it solo. Being solo and off the grid makes for an easy target. Safety in numbers! We also love the Sea of Cortez side. Great fishing! No surf, but plenty to see and do.

Juan Galindo

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Madera, CA
First Name
Juan
Last Name
Galindo
Member #

My experience with baja is Rosarito and Ensenada mostly just vacation and baja 1000.
I’m really excited for this trip
What do we need to expect and bring for a trip like this as far as camping gear and spare parts.
I’m debating on bringing my land cruiser or the wife’s 4runner.
I’m pretty mechanically inclined as I was a service technician for 10 years with the company I currently work for.
debating on bringing trailer or just pack everything in either vehicle.
Is anyone bringing kids?
Also what’s everyone else experience?