Orange County, CA
First Name
Glen
Last Name
Stanley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WA6AAB
Since Green Bay choked (again....) I don't have a ton of interest in the Super Bowl, except maybe to see some good commercials. I'll watch the game, but do so while experimenting with a couple more recipes. At least right now, I'm leaning towards SPAM Street Tacos using the jalapeno flavor & SPAM Sliders using the teriyaki flavor.

DBAR

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lebanon, PA
First Name
Cody
Last Name
Dunbar
Member #

Service Branch
USMC
SPAM is great. I grew up eating it, SPAM on toast, Spam with eggs, SPAM burgers, etc. It's not something I eat all the time now, but I'd have no problem reaching for a can of SPAM over many other things.

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
SPAM is great.
It is definitely superior to other canned meats. We just got back from a trip to north Georgia and out of curiosity I picked up a few cans of "other" canned meat, a Great Value brand, and a couple others. Generally, Great Value does a pretty good job of copying its counterpart and in the case of chocolate chip cookies, the GV brand tasted better than Chips Ahoy. Well, none of the others were even close to SPAM. The SPAM tastes a lot better and even frys better. One off brand I got didn't even fry well and was a very weird texture and taste. It was very difficult to get a sear on it and it stuck to the pan and was just nasty. Next meal I popped open a can of SPAM and sliced it and in minutes it had produced just enough of its own oil to get a good sizzle going and fried to perfection. After a day of hiking in 30 degree weather, that fried SPAM sandwich was the perfect ending to a great day.

ans.jpg

Last edited:

HIALT2D

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Orange County, CA
First Name
Glen
Last Name
Stanley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WA6AAB
Our Superbowl snacks, smoked in my Traeger pellet smoker for 2 hours on low.

I tossed the SPAM bites in a spicy garlic rub I got from Gilroy, CA. Served them with a small bowl of ranch dressing.
IMG_4495.JPGIMG_4490.JPG
The mixed nuts, pretzels & crackers were tossed lightly in melted butter mixed with Tobasco and some BBQ rub. Then more rub sprinkled over the mix & lightly tossed right before putting it in the smoker.

IMG_4485.JPG

armyRN

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Longview, WA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Dickinson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7TSP
My Mom used to slice it, and fry it with a little brown sugar and pineapple on top. I always thought it was a special meal.

My wife hates it; so I usually only get Spam when camping. I need to check out those individual slice packets.

Actually, she's going to be gone this weekend (driving across the state to visit our daughter in college). I might get a little spam-creative in the kitchen while she's gone.

armyRN

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Longview, WA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Dickinson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7TSP
So... for dinner (since my wife was gone) I opened the can of spam and sliced it into six slices. Two of the slices I made into little cubes and put in the fridge to save for scrambled eggs in the morning. The rest I fried, and then sprinkled with brown sugar and pineapple chunks. Brought back some good memories. MMM MMM good.

You know what else my wife doesn't like (so I only really get to cook it when camping)? Corned Beef Hash. I have a "stash of hash" just for that purpose. It just tastes good when cooked for breakfast when in the great outdoors.

But my wife's a keeper; I'm not complaining.

Attachments

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
So... for dinner (since my wife was gone) I opened the can of spam and sliced it into six slices. Two of the slices I made into little cubes and put in the fridge to save for scrambled eggs in the morning. The rest I fried, and then sprinkled with brown sugar and pineapple chunks. Brought back some good memories. MMM MMM good.

You know what else my wife doesn't like (so I only really get to cook it when camping)? Corned Beef Hash. I have a "stash of hash" just for that purpose. It just tastes good when cooked for breakfast when in the great outdoors.

But my wife's a keeper; I'm not complaining.
that corned beef hash is really good. i used to eat it as a kid and then forgot about it for a long time and then one day my oldest son saw a can in walmart and asked about it so i got it for him and now it goes on every camp trip. hash with a fried egg and cup of coffee is pretty hard to beat.

armyRN

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Longview, WA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Dickinson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7TSP
So for breakfast this morning....

I tossed some of the small cubes of spam in the frying pan and got them cooking. Got four (4) frozen tater tots, and put them in a bowl in the microwave for 25 seconds. Then took the tater tots and broke them up with a fork in the bowl. Added an egg to the bowl and scrambled it with the fork. Added some shredded cheddar cheese and some pepper to the bowl, mixed it all up, and poured the mixture to the spam in the frying pan. Once all cooked, put it on a plate, added a little ketchup, and done! Scrambled eggs, spam, potatoes, and cheese. Real quick to prepare. And I've got more cubed spam for tomorrow's breakfast!

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
So for breakfast this morning....

I tossed some of the small cubes of spam in the frying pan and got them cooking. Got four (4) frozen tater tots, and put them in a bowl in the microwave for 25 seconds. Then took the tater tots and broke them up with a fork in the bowl. Added an egg to the bowl and scrambled it with the fork. Added some shredded cheddar cheese and some pepper to the bowl, mixed it all up, and poured the mixture to the spam in the frying pan. Once all cooked, put it on a plate, added a little ketchup, and done! Scrambled eggs, spam, potatoes, and cheese. Real quick to prepare. And I've got more cubed spam for tomorrow's breakfast!
I dunno, you might need a 20 minute YouTube to really show us how to do this. Don’t forget the drone footage and background music.

Reactions: M Rose and grubworm

armyRN

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Longview, WA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Dickinson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7TSP
I dunno, you might need a 20 minute YouTube to really show us how to do this. Don’t forget the drone footage and background music.
And the 3 minute intro before we actually get to the topic at hand. Who wants to be my patreon? I'll need sponsors!

Reactions: Sparksalot