Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
Spam, fried egg, American cheese, and Tobasco on a sourdough English muffin. Breakfast of CHAMPIONS.
HAPPY NEW YEAR, all you spam lovers. I'm going to have a half can of nicely browned skillet fried spam in butter, with my biscuits and white gravy and good black coffee for breakfast in the mid morning when I'm half starved ..... ummmmmmm

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
I came up with a new SPAM recipe while at Big Bend...cooked up some instant rice then chopped up some Teriyaki SPAM and fried it, then added canned pineapple to the SPAM and simmered it and took the pineapple juice left in the can and added it to the cooked rice then combined them in one pot. Surprisingly good. Left overs got added to scrambled egg for breakfast. That dish was WIFE and COLLEGE STUDENT approved...that's some Gordon Ramsey level stuff there!

Last edited:

HIALT2D

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Orange County, CA
First Name
Glen
Last Name
Stanley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WA6AAB
I just discovered this thread and at age 62, just recently discovered Spam. One of my wife's new triathlon friends is from Vietnam and makes a dish called "Poor Man's Breakfast". She makes them up ahead of time and they eat them in the morning on the way to their events. She recently made an extra one for me to try, and it was very good. They all laughed when I said I really liked the crispy potatoes, only to find out that it was actually Spam :flushed:

Reading through this thread, I realize just how much catching up I've got to do as there are some good looking recipes here...

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
I just discovered this thread and at age 62, just recently discovered Spam. One of my wife's new triathlon friends is from Vietnam and makes a dish called "Poor Man's Breakfast". She makes them up ahead of time and they eat them in the morning on the way to their events. She recently made an extra one for me to try, and it was very good. They all laughed when I said I really liked the crispy potatoes, only to find out that it was actually Spam :flushed:

Reading through this thread, I realize just how much catching up I've got to do as there are some good looking recipes here...
I ate SPAM as a kid in the early 70s and it was considered "poor people" food...which we were. I eventually quit eating it until I was stationed in Hawaii in the 90s and they love SPAM there. I recently got remarried and my wife was totally against SPAM until she picked up some kind of processed canned ham and ranted on how good it is and how she loved it as a kid. I immediately went and grabbed a SPAM and compared ingredients and now we take it on every trip. If you look at sandwich meat like bologna, SPAM is actually about the same or a hair better, so for the price and ease of use, not to mention it does taste pretty good, I really do think it is the perfect food for camping. Its a bit salty, so I use it chopped up in rice, beans, potatoes, eggs, etc and it ends up being "just right". We were up in north Arkansas for Thanksgiving and I mixed some SPAM with rice and black eyed peas and Rotel and made a hybrid 'hoppin john', which was a big hit. My oldest is in college and has learned how to cook with SPAM. Pretty much everything is heavily processed now and full of crap ingredients, so if you look at the low sodium SPAM, its pretty much on par with everything else now, so why not make it a staple for camping!

Reactions: 9Mike2 and HIALT2D

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE

Just watch out for grubworms recipes, he'll eat anything with his cast iron stomach ! :sunglasses:

Chetta58

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Walla walla wa
First Name
Butch
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Service Branch
Navy
I grew up back in Ky and my grandpa always brought Spam with us fishing... cut part of the can up for us and use the other part for catfish bait... hum... didn’t learn a darned thing from that ironic lesson but I still eat it today...

Reactions: 9Mike2 and old_man