louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
I think it was Marie Antoinette that said "Let them eat cake" and they chopped off her head. 225 years later, and I get the same reaction to Spam. Wife won't touch it, kids run from it, and even the roaches scurry around it. I don't get it. When I pop open a can of Spam and that big gelatinous lump falls onto the paper plate still holding the shape of the can, my mouth can't help but water. Its a delicate balance of salt, fat and nitrites that make my taste buds tingle. (My left arm also starts tingling after eating a can for some reason). I think its the perfect food... no refrigeration, indefinite shelf life, and you don't even need a can opener. Even after opening a can, the contents can stay out a long time and are still as good as the day it was congealed at the factory.

All I know is that if eating Spam is wrong, I don't ever want to be right! So, for all the Spam eaters out there...raise your plastic spork in a toast to the world's most perfect food! Did I say toast? Yeah, Spam goes great on that, too!

old_man

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Loveland, Colorado
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Houston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WØNUT Extra
Just as an update for those who haven't eaten Spam in years... There is no longer the gelatin surrounding the Spam in the can and it now has significantly less fat.

We grew up poor. Spam was a treat. I still love it and probably eat a can a week. Heck I even went to the Spam Museum in Minnesota.

My kids and grand kids keep asking for my favorite camping recipe. I cut up Spam into long skinny strips and brown them in a pan. I remove them and then fry thinly sliced potatoes with garlic salt until almost crispy. Return SPAM to the pan and crack a dozen eggs over the top, add garlic salt and onion salt and scramble it all together. It can serve 4 - 6.

Another great recipe is to cut into .25" thick slices and fry until starting to get crispy. Cover with a slice of cheese the same size and top it off with some jalapenos. Microwave or bake until the cheese melts. The combo is very tasty. I served them at a party and everybody loved them... then I told them what it was and everybody was surprised.

I have several cans in my bug out bag.

darjo242

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Show Low, AZ
First Name
Darryl
Last Name
Johnson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7HLL
I'll generally bring a sweet onion and some mushrooms with me on trips. Will fire up the skottle, dice up some SPAM then douse it with soy sauce then add garlic and stir fry. Will then toss the onions and mushrooms in and when done, serve over rice and and a cold one!