Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Cleveland, Tennessee, USA
First Name
Eddie
Last Name
Linn
Member #

Yum, yum! Spam slices dipped in flour and egg and shallow fried in a little oil. Serve on a plate with baked beans and potato rosti (that would be a hash brown to you guys) and you have a culinary masterpiece sure to put any hungry human into a state of bliss!!
Now that sounds good.

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
The wife and I were at Sams yesterday when I spotted a pallet of SPAM. I picked up a case and headed to the basket with it when she she grabs it and read the ingredients. Needless to say, the SPAM never made it home. We've been married 6 months now and she is in great shape and a very healthy cook, so I respect that. I'm pretty sure I can hide some SPAM out in my workshop, but not sure how to get it out on camp trips. Its been suggested to me to remove the SPAM from the can and repackage it, maybe as tofu or something. Any ideas? SPAM always tasted good, but now that its forbidden...it tastes even that much better!

Last edited:

Jeffrey Dill

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Greenville, SC, USA
First Name
Jeffrey
Last Name
Dill
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W4FOZ
The wife and I were at Sams yesterday when I spotted a pallet of SPAM. I picked up a case and headed to the basket with it when she she grabs it and read the ingredients. Needless to say, the SPAM never made it home. We've been married 6 months now and she is in great shape and a very healthy cook, so I respect that. I'm pretty sure I can hide some SPAM out in my workshop, but not sure how to get it out on camp trips. Its been suggested to me to remove the SPAM from the can and repackage it, maybe as tofu or something. Any ideas? SPAM always tasted good, but now that its forbidden...it tastes even that much better!
What's wrong with the ingredients?!

Ingredients: Pork with Ham, Salt, Water, Modified Potato Starch, Sugar, Sodium Nitrite

Humans need water to live, so it's basically life-giving.

Sodium is essential for proper nerve and muscle functioning. Plenty of sodium in salt and I don't know what a nitrite is but it probably means it's even better than regular sodium, so it's probably one of those "superfoods" we're always hearing about (avocado, acai berries, etc.)

Modified potato starch. Well, that one's pretty obvious - it's got "potato" in it, so it's practically a vegetable.

Fruit has lots of sugar and you're supposed to have several servings of fruit per day. But it can also have dirt on it that carries E coli, salmonella, and other food-borne illnesses. Spam, like a true friend, is simply protecting you from all the bad stuff by just giving you the good stuff that you came for - sugar.

And pork with ham? Most people would make you purchase those things separately. Again, like a true friend, not Spam.

If you ask me, the only thing Spam is guilty of is not charging enough for their wholesome, life-giving product.

greydog

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Albuquerque, New Mexcio
First Name
Hugh
Last Name
Bryce
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KA5KLX
First rule Happy Wife Happy Life! Second never ever hide spam from her like all wives they will find it so give that idea up. As much as we all like it
there are just the times when we need to let it go! Trust me on this 42 years with the same woman and Spam is a treat camping and never to be found any other time. just some advise from an old married guy.

PCO6

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Newmarket, Ontario
First Name
Stew
Last Name
Beatty
Member #

First rule Happy Wife Happy Life! Second never ever hide spam from her like all wives they will find it so give that idea up. As much as we all like it
there are just the times when we need to let it go! Trust me on this 42 years with the same woman and Spam is a treat camping and never to be found any other time. just some advise from an old married guy.
Or as I tell my wife … "happy spouse … happy house". And you're right about timing your SPAM consumption. I only take it when I camp with the guys or go on my own. My wife keeps giving me camping recipe ideas and just to tick her off (lol) I always ask … "do they include SPAM?"

greydog

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Albuquerque, New Mexcio
First Name
Hugh
Last Name
Bryce
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KA5KLX
PC06 You are a brave man! My wife says she needs me around for a long time, so when I had six cans to take on the last trip but when I got to camp there was only three. Hmmmmmmm.

greydog

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Albuquerque, New Mexcio
First Name
Hugh
Last Name
Bryce
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KA5KLX
Mine claims the right to final inspect the grub prior to heading out, but I have found that sometimes things just vanish out of a locked jeep. The only Spam she sort of thinks is sort of ok happens to be turkey. Of all things turkey spam?

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
Fried real well done, slapped on heavily mustard spread white bread and a sack of potato chips, oh yeahhhh !
Or scrambled eggs with onion and cheese and several slabs of over fried spam with bisquits and jelly, yummmmm

Reactions: Temudjin

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Sheeeeeeet, my Wife, of 41 years, makes sure we have Spam stocked on a regular basis.

I think I'll keep her :mask:
I'll take you Boston if you ever want to give it up ! Just lost my two sister a few months ago from old age. I'm too old to get puppies, I wouldn't want them to be orphaned by my death. I'm looking for an older Boston wanting a home but they are hard to find. Boston's are the most lovable dog God ever made, they give far more than they take..

Reactions: Motoboss

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Take it out of the can, slice it into slabs, slice the slabs into strips and tell the wife it is fish bait. Then you can pretend to be mad at her and go off and eat your spam worms. Lanlubber

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Or as I tell my wife … "happy spouse … happy house". And you're right about timing your SPAM consumption. I only take it when I camp with the guys or go on my own. My wife keeps giving me camping recipe ideas and just to tick her off (lol) I always ask … "do they include SPAM?"
I like your idea better. There are more combination of ways to fix spam than any other canned meat. I could eat it three times a day and never have the same meal and never have to refrigerate it either. Ask Grubworm he will back me up.

Reactions: PCO6

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
That's actually pretty brilliant...
Haven't been around for 84 years living on tofu. Fries up quicker too. I love my biscuits and white gravy too, along with a few slabs of spam. Breakfast, lunch, supper, it doesn't matter what meal, it is always goooooood !

Reactions: Shamu and grubworm