Longview, WA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Dickinson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7TSP
i think a good SPAM Challenge for 2021 is to see how many different states i can eat SPAM in....
just 3 days into the new year and i already have tennessee, north carolina and louisiana...:grinning:

View attachment 182289
I'll be doing a good bit of traveling this year. I might have to take on that challenge.

Enthusiast III

South Dayton, NY, USA
First Name
Ronald
Last Name
Howard
Member #

Service Branch
USMC 85'-89'
At least this is the good kind of spam...lol. My family grew up on spam, altho from what I have seen in this thread, we have just barely touched it wide range of uses. I may just have to try this challenge also as I am planning a 10 day trip on the TAT starting NY/PA border.

Reactions: grubworm

armyRN

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Longview, WA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Dickinson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7TSP
Looks like grubworm has started something... the 2021 SPAM challenge! It is on!

In June I will be driving from WA to WV to start the TAT, and will be taking the TAT all the way back to the Oregon Coast. I'll be gone about 5-6 weeks. I think that'll be about 20 states(?) out and back. I'll have to come up with a bunch of different recipes, and to remember to eat something with SPAM in each different state.

I'll have to make a concentrated effort to remember the SPAM challenge as I'm driving. Maybe stock-up on the individual slice packages. Everything tastes better with a bit of SPAM in it.

Matt Hixson

Rank V

Member I

Big Lake, WA, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Hixson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7FZJ
Looks like grubworm has started something... the 2021 SPAM challenge! It is on!

In June I will be driving from WA to WV to start the TAT, and will be taking the TAT all the way back to the Oregon Coast. I'll be gone about 5-6 weeks. I think that'll be about 20 states(?) out and back. I'll have to come up with a bunch of different recipes, and to remember to eat something with SPAM in each different state.

I'll have to make a concentrated effort to remember the SPAM challenge as I'm driving. Maybe stock-up on the individual slice packages. Everything tastes better with a bit of SPAM in it.
It would be cool to see Spam worked into a recipe from the local cuisine as you're traveling through.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
You guys have been going on about spam for a week now. My pantry is empty because Wally World couldnt fill my order for spam for the past month.
I'm dying for some fried spam (1/4" thick) to go with my biscuits and white gravy that I've put on hold for the past month. It's a slow death so will you guys quit talking about spam until I get some.

I'm drooling all over my Kendal. It reminds me of when I was a kid at the movie house watching a ww2 war movie. All the poor soldiers in their fox holes were dying to share a single can of cinnamon spiced peaches in a care package the guy was hoarding for a rainy day. I think it was Mickey Rooney. When I got home (I ran all the way) the first thing I did was go to grandmas pantry and pull out a jar of cinnamon spiced peaches and eat the whole thing by myself.

So Please, shut up about eating all the spam in your possession until I can get my teeth wrapped around Some of my own. You can add your recipe though.... :-)

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
You guys have been going on about spam for a week now. My pantry is empty because Wally World couldnt fill my order for spam for the past month.
I'm dying for some fried spam (1/4" thick) to go with my biscuits and white gravy that I've put on hold for the past month. It's a slow death so will you guys quit talking about spam until I get some.

I'm drooling all over my Kendal. It reminds me of when I was a kid at the movie house watching a ww2 war movie. All the poor soldiers in their fox holes were dying to share a single can of cinnamon spiced peaches in a care package the guy was hoarding for a rainy day. I think it was Mickey Rooney. When I got home (I ran all the way) the first thing I did was go to grandmas pantry and pull out a jar of cinnamon spiced peaches and eat the whole thing by myself.

So Please, shut up about eating all the spam in your possession until I can get my teeth wrapped around Some of my own. You can add your recipe though.... :-)
The Dak canned hams from cvs are a decent alternative for recipes you might use diced spam in. I use it a lot when camping.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
The Dak canned hams from cvs are a decent alternative for recipes you might use diced spam in. I use it a lot when camping.
Great idea I had not thought about CVS having canned meat. I dont usually go into a store because I'm 85 with several health issues. Wally World brings my orders to the parking area.

I'm sure our Albertsons has canned meat but I would have to go inside to get it. In small towns like mine people ignore the health warnings and we have many cases of c-19 . We have been on state mandated quarantine for three months now. Not many abide the governors mandate though.

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
Great idea I had not thought about CVS having canned meat. I dont usually go into a store because I'm 85 with several health issues. Wally World brings my orders to the parking area.

I'm sure our Albertsons has canned meat but I would have to go inside to get it. In small towns like mine people ignore the health warnings and we have many cases of c-19 . We have been on state mandated quarantine for three months now. Not many abide the governors mandate though.
don't you have dollar generals or family dollars there? we have dollar generals on every corner down here and they always have SPAM and Dak...as well as some other weird imported canned meats and stuff and there is never a line to wait in.

we just got back from gatlinberg and rang in the new year there. tradition has it that you are supposed to eat black eyed peas for new year's, so i made my fav SPAM dish of cubing up a can of SPAM and frying them, then adding a can of rotel and a couple cans of jalapeno black eyed peas and season with garlic, red pepper, etc and let it simmer a while and then take off the heat and stir in rice and let sit a few and then chow down. i make that dish camping all the time and even make it at home. i used to use ham, but i actually prefer the SPAM in it.

armyRN

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Longview, WA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Dickinson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7TSP

You can order SPAM online from the SPAM shop. I didn't know they had so many varieties.

Link: Varieties - All Products (spam.com)

Some of these flavors they're out of stock, but I might have to order some of the ones that sound interesting that they do have on hand. Gotta have something for the SPAM slicer to slice.

egilbe

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Biddeford, Maine, USA
First Name
Earl
Last Name
Gilbert
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS: WRFT263, HAM:
You can order SPAM online from the SPAM shop. I didn't know they had so many varieties.

Link: Varieties - All Products (spam.com)

Some of these flavors they're out of stock, but I might have to order some of the ones that sound interesting that they do have on hand. Gotta have something for the SPAM slicer to slice.
I bought some from Amazon, it was a bit cheaper and I could buy more than one can. My GF hasn't been buying my single serve packets I llke to take hiking, so I bought 24 from Amazon. so $68 spent on Spam.

GLOCKer

Rank IV

Pathfinder II

Marietta, Georgia, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Battersby
I tried it in college and hated it. It was a real shame because I was pretty poor, and couldn't waste it.

Fast forward all of these years later, and I made a cheeseburger stuffed with SPAM and it was heavenly. I will definitely eat it again!

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
saw this the other day and IMMEDIATELY knew what to get the wife for valentines day.
(plus it just so happened to go with the eggs and rice i was cooking for breakfast....she hasn't spoken much to me since, so i guess she is just moved beyond words!) :grinning:

1613486197349.png