1 cup yellow cornmeal
1 cup flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 cup sugar
4 teaspoons baking powder
1 egg
1 cup milk

Mix everything together well in a large bowl for dipping. Fry the corndogs in vegitable oil for about 3 minutes each until brown.

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
My wife just came home from Costco and she brought me a gift. It's a case of SPAM!!! Well, actually an 8-Pack. I immediately asked why she only got me one :tonguewink:

My Musubi kit came today so tonight it's sushi & SPAM Musubi. I think Sunday is going to be SPAM corndogs.
I've never done the musubi...you gotta post some pics!

HIALT2D

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Orange County, CA
First Name
Glen
Last Name
Stanley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WA6AAB
Ok, I kinda feel like I went a little too far with the musubi. I picked a recipe that had just too much stuff in it and had too many steps. After making it, I felt like SPAM musubi should be simple & easy, not fancy & complicated. Next time I make it, I'm going with the simple 3-4 ingredient recipe.

So, the first thing was I couldn't find Sushi rice. Even after trying 3 different markets. All I could find was microwavable cups of "Sticky Rice". I'll have to admit, it was sticky. It stuck to the musubi mold, it stuck to my fingers, it stuck to the counter top, it stuck to my knife, it stuck to my teeth, it stuck..... I did find out later that Calrose rice can be used as a substitute for Sushi rice, but I don't know how accurate that is.

The second thing was I felt the nori was way too chewy. In fact, so chewy that you kinda pulled the musubi apart, or squished the rice out the ends when trying to get a bite out of it. I tried slightly wetting the nori, but that didn't help. I'm wondering if, because I didn't get it at an Asian market, it had been sitting on the shelf for a while, or maybe it was a lesser quality brand? I've never used it before, so I can't really say. I've only had SPAM musubi a couple of times at restaurants, but I don't remember having that much trouble getting a clean bite out of it. Then, when I did manage to get a good bite, it stuck to the roof of my mouth!!! Good thing I bought some sushi to go along with it, or we would have starved :tonguewink:

I liked the musubi mold I got. It came as a 2-pack & was about $8.00. It's pretty solid and has dimpling on the inside surface and on the surface of the press to help prevent sticking. Running both pieces (mold & press) under cold water between uses helped also. At first I thought the mold was a bit small, but after cooking the slices of SPAM, they fit perfectly into the mold.

One of my new favorite ingredients is Japanese Mayonnaise. I'm not typically a big fan of mayo, but I'm not afraid of it either. If a recipe calls for it, I'll put it in, but I usually won't add it on my own, or choose to have it on a sandwich. That all changed when a friend turned me onto Japanese Mayo. What a difference in flavor! Now, I'm looking for things to use it on. My friend puts a little slater on the rice side of the cooked spam in his SPAM musubi. I did the same and it was perfect.

Next time I make SPAM musubi, I'm grabbing my Japanese friend and heading to the local Asian market to get Sushi rice and, hopefully, better quality (less chewy) nori. I go with my friend because, being a 6'-5" tall old white guy, I can feel all eyes on me as I'm walking through the store and she gets a kick out of it...

Next up.... SPAM corndogs.

IMG_5593 (2).JPG IMG_5598 (2).JPG
IMG_5601 (2).JPG IMG_5596 (2).JPG

Truckee

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Bay Area, CA
@HIALT2D You definitely need a more suitable rice. The Kokuho brand is quite popular and produce in CA. Has to be the right temperature... not too hot/steaming and not cold. But kinda hot is perfect as the masubi is often wrap in Saran Wrap immediately after and the rice steams the nori a bit and softens it up.

If you want simple, "Yoshida's" sauce is often used and good. The sesame seeds you have pictured do not look roasted... as they should be. I prefer this brand of Furikake and it already has roasted sesame seeds in it.

Kokuho Rose California's Original Sushi Rice, 15 lbs
Nori Komi Furikake Seasoning, Rice
Yoshida Sweet Teriyaki Marinade & Cooking Sauce

HIALT2D

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Orange County, CA
First Name
Glen
Last Name
Stanley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WA6AAB
First let me say I LOVE THIS THREAD!!! Thanks to grubworm for kicking things off... As a SPAM newbie, I've learned a ton & gotten lots of inspiration from the contributions here. I keep asking myself "How did I go so many years without knowing the true wonders of SPAM, it's potential & endless applications???

J.W., I'm making corndogs next... Can't think of a better way to make them!!!

Truckee, Thanks for the tips... I absolutely love cooking & cooking different foods from different cultures. Mostly, I LOVE learning about different foods & learning the little tips & tricks that make the difference in doing them right.

After the corndogs, I'm going back to the musubi & seeing if I can get it right. This just seems like the perfect "packable" breakfast (add a layer of scrambled egg), snack, or lunch for my backpacking, hiking, fishing, mountain biking adventures.

bullitboy105

Rank I

Contributor III

Indianapolis, IN, USA
First Name
Zach
Last Name
Douglas
Stopped by a grocery last weekend right before heading off grid. The ONLY thing I stopped for was SPAM refills. Much to my horror, I wandered aisle after aisle never laying eyes on the golden tins. Come to find they were completely out of stock.

A short weekend trip is always good for the soul, but I’d be lying if I said there wasn’t a small hole in my heart that day.

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
Stopped by a grocery last weekend right before heading off grid. The ONLY thing I stopped for was SPAM refills. Much to my horror, I wandered aisle after aisle never laying eyes on the golden tins. Come to find they were completely out of stock.

A short weekend trip is always good for the soul, but I’d be lying if I said there wasn’t a small hole in my heart that day.
sad times indeed.....:disappointed:

HIALT2D

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Orange County, CA
First Name
Glen
Last Name
Stanley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WA6AAB
@HIALT2D You definitely need a more suitable rice. The Kokuho brand is quite popular and produce in CA. Has to be the right temperature... not too hot/steaming and not cold. But kinda hot is perfect as the masubi is often wrap in Saran Wrap immediately after and the rice steams the nori a bit and softens it up.

If you want simple, "Yoshida's" sauce is often used and good. The sesame seeds you have pictured do not look roasted... as they should be. I prefer this brand of Furikake and it already has roasted sesame seeds in it.

Kokuho Rose California's Original Sushi Rice, 15 lbs's Original Sushi Rice, 15 lbs
Nori Komi Furikake Seasoning, Rice
Yoshida Sweet Teriyaki Marinade & Cooking Sauce

Thanks... We're heading to the Asian market in the next couple of days to get what I need to do another batch. Is there a particular brand/type of Nori you recommend?

HIALT2D

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Orange County, CA
First Name
Glen
Last Name
Stanley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WA6AAB
I've got to get back to working on my SPAM fried rice recipe... I feel like I've got everything dialed in just the way we like it, but can't seem to get the rice the way I want it. I've been using Jasmine rice and I just tried it with Calrose rice, but both seem to come out too soft. We like it with the rice a little more cooked and not so much streamed. Any ideas on what I should do to get the rice cooked more?

Thx

Reactions: 9Mike2

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
I've got to get back to working on my SPAM fried rice recipe... I feel like I've got everything dialed in just the way we like it, but can't seem to get the rice the way I want it. I've been using Jasmine rice and I just tried it with Calrose rice, but both seem to come out too soft. We like it with the rice a little more cooked and not so much streamed. Any ideas on what I should do to get the rice cooked more?

Thx
my wife is a cajun born down here in the swamps...they know rice. she puts on a big pot of water, 6-8 qts and brings it to a boil and then adds 3-4 cups of long grain rice and cooks for 16-17 minutes and then pulls it and pours it in a colender and rinses it really good with cold water. comes out great. she uses watermaid or mahatma long grain rice. i usually get whats left the next day after its refridgerated and use it with coconut oil, egg, spam, garlic, green onion, etc and do me a proper breakfast with it

some use a rice cooker with the exact amount of water or you can just boil a lot of water and cook the rice and pour off the water and rinse it really well so it doesnt stick together with all the starch

Last edited:
Reactions: 9Mike2

Truckee

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Bay Area, CA
Thanks... We're heading to the Asian market in the next couple of days to get what I need to do another batch. Is there a particular brand/type of Nori you recommend?
There are so many brands of Nori... I have no go to brand. However, I always choose one made in Japan.
Do they give you some gravy to pour all over the top of everything on that tray?
Some gravy would be nice too.... a la Spam Loco Moco!
It sounds like you want the rice not cooked more but just less sticky? Be sure to rinse the rice very well... like 4-5 times so the water isn't cloudy. Removes the loose starch and so the rice isn't so sticky. Letting the rice dry out... by laying it out on a tray, paper towel over it helps. Storing the rice in the fridge can help too as it dehydrates it a bit. Using most regular soy sauce and then a some dark soy sauce gives it color. Oyster sauce is great for fried rice.