Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Richmond, VA, USA
First Name
Nate
Last Name
Moy
Member #

Korean Spam???? People here are worried about what is in US SPAM.... heaven knows about Korean Spam.

If you are worried about Spam, never visit a meat packing plant and see what goes into Chorizo.
I mean... Koreans are pretty picky with their food. I believe the contents of it are probably a bit on the better side. But who knows, haha! I mean... do we ever REALLY know what is in spam?

jmsuitter

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

El Paso TX
First Name
Jonathan
Last Name
Suitter
Member #

Just as an update for those who haven't eaten Spam in years... There is no longer the gelatin surrounding the Spam in the can and it now has significantly less fat.

We grew up poor. Spam was a treat. I still love it and probably eat a can a week. Heck I even went to the Spam Museum in Minnesota.

My kids and grand kids keep asking for my favorite camping recipe. I cut up Spam into long skinny strips and brown them in a pan. I remove them and then fry thinly sliced potatoes with garlic salt until almost crispy. Return SPAM to the pan and crack a dozen eggs over the top, add garlic salt and onion salt and scramble it all together. It can serve 4 - 6.

Another great recipe is to cut into .25" thick slices and fry until starting to get crispy. Cover with a slice of cheese the same size and top it off with some jalapenos. Microwave or bake until the cheese melts. The combo is very tasty. I served them at a party and everybody loved them... then I told them what it was and everybody was surprised.

I have several cans in my bug out bag.
i need to go to that museum now

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I mean... Koreans are pretty picky with their food. I believe the contents of it are probably a bit on the better side. But who knows, haha! I mean... do we ever REALLY know what is in spam?
So you really know what’s on the “Chicken on a stick”? In 18 months I only saw one chicken... but I saw lots of Rats... just none around the chicken vendor... just saying

Reactions: old_man

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
Pug is pretty good smothered in onion and a dash of garlic at the end.....put the garlic in too soon and it will burn and ruin that delicious pug meat....

• Love
Reactions: 9Mike2 and old_man

Matt Hixson

Rank V

Member I

Big Lake, WA, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Hixson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7FZJ
All I know is that if eating Spam is wrong, I don't ever want to be right! So, for all the Spam eaters out there...raise your plastic spork in a toast to the world's most perfect food! Did I say toast? Yeah, Spam goes great on that, too!
I've just added a Sir Spamalot to my food store. My wife and I love Spam. We'll oftentimes take it overlanding and backpacking, and then sometimes we just need a spam & pineapple Meatza at home.

• Love
Reactions: 9Mike2 and grubworm

Matt Hixson

Rank V

Member I

Big Lake, WA, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Hixson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7FZJ
SPAM is truly a wonder food but do you know they sell SPAM singles?? Individually wrapped thick slices of SPAM perfect for those breakfast sandwiches.
View attachment 95727
Toss a couple of these in your Camelbak, day pack, purse, bug out bag, etc. and you'll always have a quick snack on hand for those unpredictable days.

Reactions: 9Mike2

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
I've just added a Sir Spamalot to my food store. My wife and I love Spam. We'll oftentimes take it overlanding and backpacking, and then sometimes we just need a spam & pineapple Meatza at home.
that meatza looks pretty damn good! ive used the teriyaki Spam and pineapple in some dishes and that pairs very well...

Reactions: Matt Hixson

Matt Hixson

Rank V

Member I

Big Lake, WA, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Hixson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7FZJ
that meatza looks pretty damn good! ive used the teriyaki Spam and pineapple in some dishes and that pairs very well...
That sounds brilliant! I think I need to order some of the less commonly found Spam flavors. Usually our stores around here just have plain.

HIALT2D

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Orange County, CA
First Name
Glen
Last Name
Stanley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WA6AAB
This weekend is being dedicated to SPAM!!! I just ordered what will soon be my new favorite cycling jersey from the SPAM web-site:

SPAM Jersey.jpg

I've also got to get cooking. My local grocery store finally got some SPAM in after 2 months of not having it & I kinda went a little overboard. I know it lasts a while :tonguewink:, but I feel like I should at least do something with a couple of cans just to relieve some of the hoarding guilt...

I'm thinking I'll make Hawaiian SPAM sliders with Hawaiian kettle chips for dinner one night & the "Egg Slut" breakfast sandwich featured here in a previous post for breakfast one morning.

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
Nothing beats a big plate of spam and eggs for breakfast.
I've been to Hawaii a few times for work. The first time I went I asked the desk clerk at the on base billeting (Hickam) to direct me to the closest hole in the wall diner/breakfast place. We wound up down a back alley at a place that was probably someone's backporch eating spam/eggs/rice off of paper plates. One of the best breakfasts I've probably ever had.

Travelin'trio

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

6639 S State Hwy 16, Pipe Creek, TX, USA
First Name
MaryJane
Last Name
Linson
Member #

While I still have a few cans of Spam stashed away, I’ve been experimenting with an alternate. These guys go on sale periodically at CVS for $2.50. The texture is not the same one for one, but In a recipe as a replacement they do pretty good.

View attachment 146737
My husband actually prefers this to spam as he says it's less salty.

MattLew

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member II

Harriman, TN, Tennessee 61, Harriman, TN, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Lewandowski
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG4DIE
I am seriously having to fight the urge to start quoting the spam sketch here... spam spam spam.... no must resist!!!

Seriously as a kid in the 70s-80s, I think pasta salad with spam chunks was a staple of every household in the midwest (and likely elsewhere) in the summer. I can not say I am overly fond of spam as a food like substance, but I do not mind SOME in reasonable quantities in a dish that balances the flavor I HAVE been known to take a can and make up a pasta salad 2 days into the woods on canoe camping trips since no refrigeration of ingredients is required.

(I can't say I actually have a "recipe" for it. I take ingredients along since they are mostly staples of my camp pantry and put them together til "they are about right" for this one)

Camp Pasta Salad
<Note: make substitutions according to your taste>
Boil Pasta in (kosher or sea (<edit>if you prefer iodized salt, that is o.k. too as long as you salt the water til it is as salty as a tear or sea water. just the foodie in me coming out saying stick with the fancy stuff:) )) salt water (I am partial to using macaroni as it packs compact but I prefer riggatoni or bow ties for my pasta salads) until pasta is al-dente or cooked to preference
Strain pasta (preferably over a grass/leaf/moss grease pit and burn the starch covered grasses) and add your choice of the following or your own preferred options
1 can mushrooms
1 small can black olives
1 shredded or better yet match stick juliened fresh carrot
slice and add some grape tomato wedges or halves
cube and add some spam (for a couple people a half can is probably plenty, for a full family, 1 can should be more than enough)
add italian seasoning, or a mix of fresh savory herbs
cube a small block (8oz) of cheese (I prefer a mild cheese in this such as colby (yes when air tight cheese can store without refrigeration. the harder the cheese type the better it will hold)
optionally some capers are a good touch
(you can add other ingredients such as sliced or diced peppers, but I personally can not eat them, so I tend to leave them out of my recipes) according to your own taste. I used to have a friend who liked chick peas in her pasta salad, so that is also among the many options you may try.)
toss with olive oil til coated, but not dripping.

serve with artisan bread or crackers and drink of choice.

Last edited: