Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Central OR Coast
First Name
Martin
Last Name
S.
Member #

More regulation is the LAST thing this country needs.

There are thousands of laws already on the books that 1) aren't enforced, and 2) aren't interactive with each other (agencies not communicating).

Furthermore, criminals don't give a dead gnat's a$$ about laws & regulations.

I'm not a firearm owner (yet, and may never will), but our Constitution an it's original amendments were written by folks a lot smarter than our current group of politicians.

We have our second amendment in place to protect us from an oppressive government. Problem is, they out gun us.

My opinion only, and I've served my country (disabled vet) and am entitled to it (not to insinuate that you need to go active to be entitled to your own opinion, but I DO think military service should be a mandatory requirement in the US).

:yum:

Outdoordog

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Big Bear, CA, USA
First Name
Jino
Last Name
Hwang
Member #

I just bring knives, no guns.

The big one is about 2 lbs, 15"blade.

Great for chopping wood.

Medium one is worn on my belt. Dont really use it, but would for coyotes and such, in case they wanted to attack my dogs.

Then a pocket knife for cutting foods or make feather sticks.

Reactions: Downs

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
...My opinion only, and I've served my country (disabled vet) and am entitled to it (not to insinuate that you need to go active to be entitled to your own opinion, but I DO think military service should be a mandatory requirement in the US).

:yum:
I agree with this. but I’m not going to get into politics, this is not the place for it.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
I just bring knives, no guns.

The big one is about 2 lbs, 15"blade.

Great for chopping wood.

Medium one is worn on my belt. Dont really use it, but would for coyotes and such, in case they wanted to attack my dogs.

Then a pocket knife for cutting foods or make feather sticks.
Kinda useless against a man or woman bad guys with a gun 20' away about to do you in, but used in the way you are saying they are invaluable.

Reactions: Shamu and 64Trvlr

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
I agree with this. but I’m not going to get into politics, this is not the place for it.
I think the comment was okay in this case Michael because his statement was pertaining to people needing good training in the proper use of firearms, though not stated, and not a political view. That's the way I read it. A mandatory military training "IS" one way to give all people good training and knowledge of weapons. I think the rest of his comment was in line with the OP, I agree with his comments.

Reactions: Munga Brown

Viking1204

Rank V
Mod Team
Investor

Member III

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Viking
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force Veteran
I hunt and have my concealed carry permit so I can carry concealed when I visit more dangerous places which is not very often. I do sleep with my .45 in the RTT, the sense of security it provides allows me to sleep better. Where I hunt bears are prevalent and if anything I've learned over the years is drunk/high assholes also like to camp in some of the more remote camp areas. I've never pulled my gun on anyone and never would unless I knew my life was in danger. It is nice to know I can defend myself thanks to our fore fathers who wrote the 2nd Amendment.

64Trvlr

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Northern AZ
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Trvlr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK7NAZ
Service Branch
MM1 US Navy
I hunt and have my concealed carry permit so I can carry concealed when I visit more dangerous places which is not very often. I do sleep with my .45 in the RTT, the sense of security it provides allows me to sleep better. Where I hunt bears are prevalent and if anything I've learned over the years is drunk/high assholes also like to camp in some of the more remote camp areas. I've never pulled my gun on anyone and never would unless I knew my life was in danger. It is nice to know I can defend myself thanks to our fore fathers who wrote the 2nd Amendment.
I hear this all the time, if I knew where "the dangerous or bad places were" I'd never get within 10 miles of one. Unfortunately there is no safe place to be, military bases have had shootings as have shopping malls, churches, rest areas, parks, parking areas, city streets, highways, homes, gas stations, schools, most any place you go has had problems at least once. So I carry every day and everywhere go, I do not plan on needing it ever. I have it the same way I have fire extinguishers, jacks, shovels, a spare tire and other things "just in case"...

Roam_CO85

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Loveland, CO, USA
First Name
Casey
Last Name
Barch
Member #

I hear this all the time, if I knew where "the dangerous or bad places were" I'd never get within 10 miles of one. Unfortunately there is no safe place to be, military bases have had shootings as have shopping malls, churches, rest areas, parks, parking areas, city streets, highways, homes, gas stations, schools, most any place you go has had problems at least once. So I carry every day and everywhere go, I do not plan on needing it ever. I have it the same way I have fire extinguishers, jacks, shovels, a spare tire and other things "just in case"...
Agree with your post! Nothing is truly safe!

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
I hunt and have my concealed carry permit so I can carry concealed when I visit more dangerous places which is not very often. I do sleep with my .45 in the RTT, the sense of security it provides allows me to sleep better. Where I hunt bears are prevalent and if anything I've learned over the years is drunk/high assholes also like to camp in some of the more remote camp areas. I've never pulled my gun on anyone and never would unless I knew my life was in danger. It is nice to know I can defend myself thanks to our fore fathers who wrote the 2nd
Amendment.
My side arm is a 22 magnum S.S. Ruger pistol. At 50 feet I am dead on target. I carry it for the same reason the CIA does. The bullet is stealthy and cannot be traced. The caliber is deadly and It leaves no evidence behind because it's a revolver. That may sound like criminal thinking to some but it makes sense to me in a healthy way. I don't want to have to prove to anyone that I used it in self defense just because there were no witnesses. That decision belongs only to me.

Viking1204

Rank V
Mod Team
Investor

Member III

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Viking
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force Veteran
I totally agree with you but I work on a military base they still frown on bringing weapons on. On top of that my Defense Contractor Company that I work for has made it clear I'm not to bring a firearm into the workplace or even in my car to the parking lot. Anytime I go camping or hunting I'm armed and any other times I feel it's necessary, I know it's a judgement call but that's the risk I take. I'm one that always faces the door when we go to a restaurant and sit down to eat or have a drink. I find the older I get the less I trust people, I think that comes from seeing all the crazy crap people have done over the years I've lived. Some places I go ban weapons but concealed they never know. Again I don't always carry due to where I work but I keep my eyes open and will be ready to take the necessary defense actions should a threat present itself.

Viking1204

Rank V
Mod Team
Investor

Member III

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Viking
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force Veteran
My side arm is a 22 magnum S.S. Ruger pistol. At 50 feet I am dead on target. I carry it for the same reason the CIA does. The bullet is stealthy and cannot be traced. The caliber is deadly and It leaves no evidence behind because it's a revolver. That may sound like criminal thinking to some but it makes sense to me in a healthy way. I don't want to have to prove to anyone that I used it in self defense just because there were no witnesses. That decision belongs only to me.
Interesting, what particular round of 22 magnum do you use? I like little revolvers that pack a punch!

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I think the comment was okay in this case Michael because his statement was pertaining to people needing good training in the proper use of firearms, though not stated, and not a political view. That's the way I read it. A mandatory military training "IS" one way to give all people good training and knowledge of weapons. I think the rest of his comment was in line with the OP, I agree with his comments.
Sorry Jim, my political side wanted to jump in and that was me stopping a political debate before it even started. I agreed completely with 64TVRL.
Jim, I respect your values and opinions a lot, even feel that we have become somewhat of friends throughout our banters on the forums. I am open to discussion on this in DM, the boards, I feel, however are not where this conversation needs to be.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Sorry Jim, my political side wanted to jump in and that was me stopping a political debate before it even started. I agreed completely with 64TVRL.
Jim, I respect your values and opinions a lot, even feel that we have become somewhat of friends throughout our banters on the forums. I am open to discussion on this in DM, the boards, I feel, however are not where this conversation needs to be.
Totally agree my friend !

Reactions: 64Trvlr

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Curious on what .22 mag rounds you have luck with as well since I am looking at one for my next pistol.
I haven't seen that much difference between ammo brands. I have Winchester WMR full metal jacket hollow points in 40 and 50 gr.
As well as Remington, CITI Maxi Mags, and another brand who's name slips my mind.

My Ruger Six shooter is not small at all, I carry it open and holstered. It has two cylinders that are interchangeable so that I can go plinking with a normal 22 LR mini max round in 36 or 40 gr. Ammo or change cylinders to the more powerful 22 Winchester full metal jacked 40 or 50 gr. HP magnum cartridge for hunting and self defense.

I also have a scoped rifle that uses the same cartridge that I use for long range (100 yard) shooting, cyotes, ground hogs or wild hogs.
Therefore I usually keep a couple thousand rounds on hand.

I like the Big Ruger 6" barrel pistol and I point shoot very accurately with it rather than aim shoot although when shooting for pin point accuracy I do aim shoot. I also prefer the single action for a variety of reasons but primarily it forces me to shoot more accurately and only fires when you manually operate the hammer. They never miss fire or jamb.

When I conceal carry I have a 9mm Beretta in the 92s series. Shoots very well and has 13
round mag. I can use the 17 round full size model 92 magazine, but if 5-13 mags dosent do it I'd probably be dead anyway. I've been thinking I wouldn't mind having a short barrel S&W 22 WMR because of the swing out cylinder and quick load devise.

Reactions: Shamu

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
I haven't seen that much difference between ammo brands. I have Winchester WMR full metal jacket hollow points in 40 and 50 gr.
As well as Remington, CITI Maxi Mags, and another brand who's name slips my mind.

My Ruger Six shooter is not small at all, I carry it open and holstered. It has two cylinders that are interchangeable so that I can go plinking with a normal 22 LR mini max round in 36 or 40 gr. Ammo or change cylinders to the more powerful 22 Winchester full metal jacked 40 or 50 gr. HP magnum cartridge for hunting and self defense.

I also have a scoped rifle that uses the same cartridge that I use for long range (100 yard) shooting, cyotes, ground hogs or wild hogs.
Therefore I usually keep a couple thousand rounds on hand.

I like the Big Ruger 6" barrel pistol and I point shoot very accurately with it rather than aim shoot although when shooting for pin point accuracy I do aim shoot. I also prefer the single action for a variety of reasons but primarily it forces me to shoot more accurately and only fires when you manually operate the hammer. They never miss fire or jamb.

When I conceal carry I have a 9mm Beretta in the 92s series. Shoots very well and has 13
round mag. I can use the 17 round full size model 92 magazine, but if 5-13 mags dosent do it I'd probably be dead anyway. I've been thinking I wouldn't mind having a short barrel S&W 22 WMR because of the swing out cylinder and quick load devise.
yeah, a .22 is a pretty good round. i have several rifles and pistols in that caliber and really like my Ruger 10/22 with a laser on it...dont even have to bring it up to sight, just put the dot where i want it. i use CCI 36 grain hollow points which come out at close to 1300fps whereas some of the cheaper round nose ammo only have muzzle velocities in the 700-800 fps range, so for a LR round, I like the CCI and of course the magnum rounds will be in the 2000fps range with a good bit more energy delivered with the same grain bullet. either way, i personally wouldn't want to be shot with either!

IMG_4221.JPG

Last edited:

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
yeah, a .22 is a pretty good round. i have several rifles and pistols in that caliber and really like my Ruger 10/22 with a laser on it...dont even have to bring it up to sight, just put the dot where i want it. i use CCI 36 grain hollow points which come out at close to 1300fps whereas some of the cheaper round nose ammo only have muzzle velocities in the 700-800 fps range, so for a LR round, I like the CCI and of course the magnum rounds will be in the 2000fps range with a good bit more energy delivered with the same grain bullet. either way, i personally wouldn't want to be shot with either!

View attachment 134709
Oh boy, I like your 10/22. I haven't seen anything like it before. I have a 10/22 that I bought about 20 years ago that is still in the original box. I've had 3 others since they first came out in the early sixties but one by one I gave them to my boy's. My practice was to give each one a 22 when they turned 12, a shot gun when they were 14, a 30-30 Winchester when they were 16 and a hi powered semi auto when they were 21(AK's and Russian made SKS's that I modified for hunting and better performance. I just gave my brand new factory rebuilt 1941 model 30-06 M1 Springfield battle rifle to my youngest son who was a Marine during Gulf war 1990. I felt he was the best one to have it in case he ever needed it to defend the constitution against tyranny. I purchased it from the Civilian Marksmanship Program about 15 years ago with some big $$$$$ ! I consider that rifle the best semi auto that was ever made and loved the pling after 8 rounds of quick fire. I never shot that one either so it was brand new in hard case when I gave it to him. I wish my 10/22 was stainless but it was what I could afford when I bought it for my wife. I still mostly shoot my 3 green stamp book, 22 winchester single shot rifle, my wife bought for me in 1960. My home defense is my very old $15 pawn shop bought 20 ga, 3 shot magazine, bolt action Mossenburg shotgun.