Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
I don’t clean my ammo, But just wondering why it would be harmfull to the operation of said ammo. Bullet crimps are air tight so therefore water tight... can wd-40 penetrate the crimps.
I think it can. I cant remember if I was told that or if I read it. It's not something that can happen overnight. I buy a lot of ammo that is military surplus. It works okay but is sometime dirty on the outside. I use to clean it with wd40 and a rag, but I was using it soon after cleaning. Now I just use sterl wool and rags which does a good job but hard on the hands from the abrasive steel wool.

I clean ammo with a primer strike :)

WD40 is shit for a penetrating oil, so I kind of doubt it. Nonetheless, I treat my ammo like my pecker, clean and dry in a cool dark area until ready for use.
No pecker cleaning instructions on this thread :-) Are you an owl that can see in the dark ? Your more up to date on cleaning products (primer strike) than I am but I've had good luck w/ wd40 followed by oil that I leave on thinly until I clean with dry rags before use again. In over 70 years I have never had any rust that wouldn't come off with ultra fine steel wool. Internally I have never had rust develop although many of my Military weapons had rust when I acquired them. I've never suffered any pitting on anything. My climate is mild though and my gun bags are treated to prevent rust or corrosion (supposedly) and I store them in nice dry places (secret).

Roam_CO85

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Loveland, CO, USA
First Name
Casey
Last Name
Barch
Member #

Steel ammo might be cheap but steel on steel of a chamber of a firearm is sooo bad! You get pretty good at clearing malfunctions. I dont stock pile ammo but always have 2 k around for each for pistol and rifle. But ammo does go bad from my experience so i tend to change it out quite a bit especially if its carry ammo. Change clocks back or forward it changes to

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
I was in Sportsmans Warehouse in Flagstaff today and they had at least 3K rounds of it.
I buy my stuff from AIM. They have good ammo and good prices most of the time. I have bought a lot from Cheaper than dirt with much success. Sportsman is a good source but being rural I have to order everything cause I wont buy nada from Wal-Mart because of their anti gun position..A$$holes

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Why the hell would you use a petroleum product to clean ammo? If the ammo is that corroded or dirty I get rid of it and get some better ammo.
If you ever bought 308 or 30-06 military surplus you would know why they need cleaning. The ammo is fine but a lot of it was on belts for machine guns prior to repacking for resale. Most of that ammo dates back to the Korean war era or newer ammo that was returned to the US government when newer firearms were issued (AR'S) I go through every round because of some being dented. Dried preservative hardens and needs to be cleaned off the brass (I guess it's cosmoline because it's sticky). I have never had a round misfire and they truly are a better load than commercial ammo. I wouldn't call the brass corroded, just dirty. Extra fine steel wool works fine and for the price (less than half price) I don't mind spending a few hours cleaning up a thousand rounds or so. As good as it is I don't use it for hunting, I always buy fresh ammo for that. My hunting rifles are all military grade ,refurbished mostly, as in M1 Springfield 02A2 sportified. I don't modify the semi auto M1's I've owned other than rebarrel if they have any corrosion. Most of my Russian firearms like my Mosin Nagant carbine, I use as they came from Russia other than sights. Most of my Russian firearms were NIB when I bought them including my SKS that I did sporterize because of the short shoulder stock.

Reactions: grubworm

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

Hi Everyone, I was wondering if you guys ever carry legal weapons out on the trail or while camping.
Some may bring rifles for hunting, some may bring handguns for personal protection, some may not even bring any weapons along on their trips. Many feel it ruins the spirit of the trip.

What are your feelings towards this subject?
I can totally understand if you do carry, why you wouldn't want to advertise. But hey, there's a whole lotta crazy out there, and a lot of it is out in the sticks. So, im curious on what you guys thoughts are.

[This post moved here from another thread, as well as the following two posts]
Yes, I carry when heading out in the woods, and I always do-so legally.

-TJ

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Steel ammo might be cheap but steel on steel of a chamber of a firearm is sooo bad! You get pretty good at clearing malfunctions. I don't stock pile ammo but always have 2 k around for each for pistol and rifle. But ammo does go bad from my experience so i tend to change it out quite a bit especially if its carry ammo. Change clocks back or forward it changes to
I've never heard of steel ammo. Are you talking about solid metal jacked ammo. I thing that's brass not steel. Believe it or not I have never had a jamb on any rifle other than a Marlin semi auto 22 that use to jamb at least one out of 10 bullets'. I have a shotgun that will not eject a short brass shell (cheap shells) It is a 16 ga. Mossberg and I have to be careful when I buy ammo for it to make sure it has the long brass shell. I also have to watch the ammo I buy for my Mouser 8mm if it is American made. Remington is the only American brand that it will shoot without splitting the shell casing near the big end of the shell about 3/16" long. European ammo never does that. I had the chamber miked and it was very good.

Roam_CO85

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Loveland, CO, USA
First Name
Casey
Last Name
Barch
Member #

I've never heard of steel ammo. Are you talking about solid metal jacked ammo. I thing that's brass not steel. Believe it or not I have never had a jamb on any rifle other than a Marlin semi auto 22 that use to jamb at least one out of 10 bullets'. I have a shotgun that will not eject a short brass shell (cheap shells) It is a 16 ga. Mossberg and I have to be careful when I buy ammo for it to make sure it has the long brass shell. I also have to watch the ammo I buy for my Mouser 8mm if it is American made. Remington is the only American brand that it will shoot without splitting the shell casing near the big end of the shell about 3/16" long. European ammo never does that. I had the chamber miked and it was very good.
They make steel cased ammo. Alot of surplus ammo is steel cased and it sucks.

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
Makes good sense what you said earlier about cleaning ammo that came off a belt or stored with cosmoline. As far as steel cased ammo, it is cheaper and for the most part, works well with minimal problems. The biggest problem with a steel casing is that when the powder ignites and creates all the pressure, the casing will expand a bit initially and as the pressure leaves the barrel, the casing contracts back to normal. Steel doesnt flex as well as brass, so sometimes the casing might swell and not return to size and results in a jam. I used steel ammo and didnt really care for it, especially when reloading and crimping. I was taught that thousands of rounds would need to be fired in order to see excessive wear in the chamber, but I never shot that much of it to know first hand. I guess I'd use it for practice, but probably not for regular use. There are also aluminium casings, but they are a one shot use and not to be reloaded. I reloaded some with wad cutters (less force to crimp) and a light charge and some of them still split.

Last edited:

Roam_CO85

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Loveland, CO, USA
First Name
Casey
Last Name
Barch
Member #

Makes good sense what you said earlier about cleaning ammo that came off a belt or stored with cosmoline. As far as steel cased ammo, it is cheaper and for the most part, works well with minimal problems. The biggest problem with a steel casing is that when the powder ignites and creates all the pressure, the casing will expand a bit initially and as the pressure leaves the barrel, the casing contracts back to normal. Steel doesnt flex as well as brass, so sometimes the casing might swell and not return to size and results in a jam. I used steel ammo and didnt really care for it, especially when reloading and crimping. I was taught that thousands of rounds would need to be fired in order to see excessive wear in the chamber, but I never shot that much of it to know first hand. I guess I'd use it for practice, but probably not for regular use. There are also aluminium casings, but they are a one shot use and not to be reloaded. I reloaded some with wad cutters (less force to crimp) and a light charge and some of them still split.
Yeah it expands and doesn’t retract like brass does as well even brass doesnt retract fast enough for some over gassed weapons. All of my carry ammo are nickel cased doesnt expand so it shoots pretty well. Expensive but my life is more expensive than a couple double taps to the chest and one to the head. Steel cased ammo is one of those youll get really good at clearing failed to eject. The better the ammo the more you gotta practice reloads. The cheaper the ammo the more you have oh shit moments

Seanm26

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lynden, WA, USA
First Name
Sean
Last Name
Moore
Member #

My Glock is one of those fancy ones that has had every metal part nickel boron coated. It has had several thousand rounds through it and i think I have oiled it once. No signs of wear or corrosion.

All my other guns get hosed off and sprayed with Corrosion X. My Mossberg has some rust, but it was a skiff gun for a bit. Still runs 100%.

I won't own a gun that is picky about ammo. The AK and Mosin are on an almost strictly surplus diet. I have never cleaned the rounds before use. My friends and I refer to it as cat piss ammo because that is what the spent casings smell like.

Roam_CO85

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Loveland, CO, USA
First Name
Casey
Last Name
Barch
Member #

My Glock is one of those fancy ones that has had every metal part nickel boron coated. It has had several thousand rounds through it and i think I have oiled it once. No signs of wear or corrosion.

All my other guns get hosed off and sprayed with Corrosion X. My Mossberg has some rust, but it was a skiff gun for a bit. Still runs 100%.

I won't own a gun that is picky about ammo. The AK and Mosin are on an almost strictly surplus diet. I have never cleaned the rounds before use. My friends and I refer to it as cat piss ammo because that is what the spent casings smell like.
Ive smelled that too. Those who know what cat piss smells like. It is spot on. Those ak rifles the best friend to those things is water and some lube

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
All my surplus is copper clad jacketed. I have about 3000 rounds of it for 30-06 and the SKS 7.?? I.
I have another 1000 rounds for my Mosin Nagant and they are standard lead loads.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ive smelled that too. Those who know what cat piss smells like. It is spot on. Those ak rifles the best friend to those things is water and some lube
I don't buy corrosive ammo anymore. . My son borrowed and almost ruined my British 303 using it and didn't clean it after firing it many times, then leaving it sit for 6 months. I cleaned it 8 or10 times with various cleaners and it fires good. I found a new barrel for it in case it in case it goes bad on me. He didn't know about corrosive ammo made back in the 50's. I don't know about cat piss but the sulfur smell is prevalent in all corrosive ammo.

Roam_CO85

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Loveland, CO, USA
First Name
Casey
Last Name
Barch
Member #

All my surplus is copper clad jacketed. I have about 3000 rounds of it for 30-06 and the SKS 7.?? I.
I have another 1000 rounds for my Mosin Nagant and they are standard lead loads.
The bullet will still be fmj or lead ball. Talking about the casing. Steel core ammo is pretty lit and alot that can f@@k up a 3/4 inch steel plate

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Duaaaaa, I finally realized you are talking about the casing not the load. I guess i'm lucky with my surplus ammo buys. I dont think I have ever had any steel cased shells in my stock, all brass. I have several of unopened cans and dont know about those but it didnt say anything about steel cases on the sales info from my supplier.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign

What is SKIFF ? Is corrosion X a new product ? I havent been to a sporting goods store or gun show in the last 10 years and not up to date on products.I'm just an old scool gun guy.