Kevin
Last Name
Trvlr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK7NAZ
Service Branch
MM1 US Navy
Being a Canadian, I"m glad I live in Canada. I've never felt threatened enough to think a gun would help. I've been in situations where not having a weapon diffused a bad situation. And I've honestly never heard a good story about anyone saving the day with a concealed, or open carry weapon. Heck in the UK most policemen don't carry a gun.

It takes far bigger balls to not carry than to carry.

There are thousands of stories of overlanders getting thru sticky situations with people skills, diplomacy, negotiation, personality. There is no need for a gun.... a gun only escalates a bed situation.

But I'll admit, I'm biased living in Canada.
Here's an article about a citizen saving an Arizona Highway Trooper that was ambushed and shot twice.

I'm sorry to hear that you believe there is never a need for a firearm for any reason. You did give me a laugh when you mentioned your "big balls" and negotiating skills keeping you safe.

I've spent a lot of time in western Canada and almost everyone I met had guns.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
Here's an article about a citizen saving an Arizona Highway Trooper that was ambushed and shot twice.

I'm sorry to hear that you believe there is never a need for a firearm for any reason. You did give me a laugh when you mentioned your "big balls" and negotiating skills keeping you safe.

I've spent a lot of time in western Canada and almost everyone I met had guns.
Thanks for this article. NRA publishes similar stories in their monthly Rifleman publications. Most other news reporting agencies fail to publish anything other than negative articles about people with guns.

Roam_CO85

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Loveland, CO, USA
First Name
Casey
Last Name
Barch
Member #

The only way bad people are stopped is by good people able to stand up and do whats right.

Jeff Cooper quotes

“The police cannot protect the citizen at this stage of our development, and they cannot even protect themselves in many cases. It is up to the private citizen to protect himself and his family, and this is not only acceptable, but mandatory."
"

“The will to survive is not as important as the will to prevail ... the answer to criminal aggression is retaliation."

“The purpose of the pistol is to stop a fight that somebody else has started, almost always at very short range."

"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles

There are a bunch more. Most of use had this bred into us from before the revolutionary war. You protect you way of life at all costs. Protect rights ,our life, family, and those who cant protect them selves. Violent people can only be stopped by good people with the aggression to stand up for whats right.

Last edited:

Granite Ridge Overland

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Mount Airy, NC, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
L
Member #

I am a facial gunshot survivor and I carry and encourage everyone to do so. Legally of course. I was shot in the face by a man robbing a house 450ft away from where I was, Never knew what hit me! Should I mention it was a 30/06 at blew my lower jaw apart! He pulled time, I had 23 reconstructive surgeries over 3 1/2 years and I'm all about our 2nd Amendment rights! My story is part of the reason I got into Overlanding, to show others out there that no matter what happens in life....You gotta have fun and enjoy it. Live it to it's fullest! So, if we ever cross paths in this Overlanding Journey...Line up the cans and lets plink some! I could post a pre-op photo after it happened but I'm sure it would get removed cause it is pretty graphic! Here is after 29 years....I was 16 at the time in 1990. ~ Life is short, make it sweet!
DSCF0196.JPG

Roam_CO85

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Loveland, CO, USA
First Name
Casey
Last Name
Barch
Member #

I am a facial gunshot survivor and I carry and encourage everyone to do so. Legally of course. I was shot in the face by a man robbing a house 450ft away from where I was, Never knew what hit me! Should I mention it was a 30/06 at blew my lower jaw apart! He pulled time, I had 23 reconstructive surgeries over 3 1/2 years and I'm all about our 2nd Amendment rights! My story is part of the reason I got into Overlanding, to show others out there that no matter what happens in life....You gotta have fun and enjoy it. Live it to it's fullest! So, if we ever cross paths in this Overlanding Journey...Line up the cans and lets plink some! I could post a pre-op photo after it happened but I'm sure it would get removed cause it is pretty graphic! Here is after 29 years....I was 16 at the time in 1990. ~ Life is short, make it sweet!
View attachment 132856
Glad you are still with us brother! 30-06 is a pretty nasty wound and thank you for sharing your story! Second chance at life and not giving up in the transition has a lot to say about how strong you are. Live life to its fullest potential!

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
View attachment 132856
Jason, that had to be a terrifying ordeal for you and your family. I thank God for your survival and of course a bunch of good doctors and nurses. Thanks for telling your story here so all of your fellow members can share your feelings about firearms and understand why you feel the way you do. I hope none of us ever have to be in a dangerous position where a firearm is needed.
The world we live in is a dangerous place, and we must be aware there is no safety
anywhere . Boy scout motto, "BE PREPARED" is good advice for all. Glad to have you in this group, most will have your back.

Granite Ridge Overland

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Mount Airy, NC, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
L
Member #

Glad you are still with us brother! 30-06 is a pretty nasty wound and thank you for sharing your story! Second chance at life and not giving up in the transition has a lot to say about how strong you are. Live life to its fullest potential!
It was beyond imaginable, lost 70% of my entire lower jaw! Yet I'm still here 29 years later kicking up dirt! I will always live life to it's fullest...no matter what!

Granite Ridge Overland

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Mount Airy, NC, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
L
Member #

Jason, that had to be a terrifying ordeal for you and your family. I thank God for your survival and of course a bunch of good doctors and nurses. Thanks for telling your story here so all of your fellow members can share your feelings about firearms and understand why you feel the way you do. I hope none of us ever have to be in a dangerous position where a firearm is needed.
The world we live in is a dangerous place, and we must be aware there is no safety
anywhere . Boy scout motto, "BE PREPARED" is good advice for all. Glad to have you in this group, most will have your back.
It was quite intense and surreal all at the same time. Losing 4 1/2 pints of blood in 30 minutes gets you about as close to your creator without going to the other side. I'm still around for a reason and I will always protect and promote our 2nd Amendment rights....The framers put that in there for a reason. I did get to ride in Air-Care tho!! lol

WAYAWAY

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

San Diego, CA
First Name
Joe
Last Name
P
Member #

I don't own (or plan to own) any guns. I grew up around them, we come from a long line of hunters. My grandfather even had a little gunsmithing area setup in the shop on the side of his barn.
When camping with my brother up near Boreas Pass, my sons and I shot the 9mm that he brought along. It was fun.. but I am firmly in the "I don't need one & there should be way more regulation" camp. I read back through a bunch of the posts in this thread and I agree with much of what was said by Billiebob.

One thing that I'd love to see is more guys stressing the importance of cleaning up after target shooting. It's really disheartening to see the mess that some leave behind. I've spent quality time filling garbage bags.

This photo was taken in the BLM south of Joshua Tree (Berdoo Canyon Rd) on the 4th of July. No cleanup on this day though.. every 50 yards or so was a group of target shooters.
20190704_085712.jpg

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
I don't own (or plan to own) any guns. I grew up around them, we come from a long line of hunters. My grandfather even had a little gunsmithing area setup in the shop on the side of his barn.
When camping with my brother up near Boreas Pass, my sons and I shot the 9mm that he brought along. It was fun.. but I am firmly in the "I don't need one & there should be way more regulation" camp. I read back through a bunch of the posts in this thread and I agree with much of what was said by Billiebob.

One thing that I'd love to see is more guys stressing the importance of cleaning up after target shooting. It's really disheartening to see the mess that some leave behind. I've spent quality time filling garbage bags.

This photo was taken in the BLM south of Joshua Tree (Berdoo Canyon Rd) on the 4th of July. No cleanup on this day though.. every 50 yards or so was a group of target shooters.
View attachment 132880
Lot of trash there that shouldn't be. Most of it not from shooters as far as I can see. The discarded tires, barrels, car parts and fireworks rubbish is the most visible. What bothers me more about this picture are two things. #1 is the graffiti, # 2 is the damage to the mountain itself from being some kind of a quarry. I've been in construction all of my life and digging holes in the side of a mountain is far worse than empty shell casings which is probably the only thing left there by shooters.

The rest was already there IMO. I USE PAPER TARGETS AND WOODEN STICK STANDS WHEN I GO SHOOTING. I take them with me when I leave. I know there are pigs and you can see that at almost every camp site as well.

If you don't want to own a firearm that is your business, I don't care one way or another. Please don't tell me I need more than the thousands of gun regulations already on the law books or that more will save anyone's life, it won't. Law breakers don't obey laws and they are why I own certain firearms. The framers knew this and wrote a constitution to make sure all citizens have a right to bare arms. Article one gave you the right of free speech, article two gave me the right to bare arms to protect your right to free speech ! @BillyBob is in the minority in his country the same as you are in this country. I hope you respect that fact because I do.

WAYAWAY

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

San Diego, CA
First Name
Joe
Last Name
P
Member #

Lot of trash there that shouldn't be. Most of it not from shooters as far as I can see. The discarded tires, barrels, car parts and fireworks rubbish is the most visible. What bothers me more about this picture are two things. #1 is the graffiti, # 2 is the damage to the mountain itself from being some kind of a quarry. I've been in construction all of my life and digging holes in the side of a mountain is far worse than empty shell casings which is probably the only thing left there by shooters.

The rest was already there IMO. I USE PAPER TARGETS AND WOODEN STICK STANDS WHEN I GO SHOOTING. I take them with me when I leave. I know there are pigs and you can see that at almost every camp site as well.

If you don't want to own a firearm that is your business, I don't care one way or another. Please don't tell me I need more than the thousands of gun regulations already on the law books or that more will save anyone's life, it won't. Law breakers don't obey laws and they are why I own certain firearms. The framers knew this and wrote a constitution to make sure all citizens have a right to bare arms. Article one gave you the right of free speech, article two gave me the right to bare arms to protect your right to free speech ! @BillyBob is in the minority in his country the same as you are in this country. I hope you respect that fact because I do.
Unfortunately, the trash there was not limited to spent casings. Lots of TVs and other odd junk that had been drug out there to shoot up and was left. I've seen this kind of junk in many of the BLM sites I've visited over the years.

Berdoo Road is a large wash that is part of the natural water system leading to the Salton Sea (which is not natural, but is a low point that was flooded ages ago). The disruption to the hillside is from water erosion.

The discussion of rights is honestly secondary in my mind. I see that you are passionate about it and respect that. I am passionate about taking care of public lands for future generations. If you bring something that was not originally there into these spaces, please remove it when you leave.

Reactions: Desert Runner

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Unfortunately, the trash there was not limited to spent casings. Lots of TVs and other odd junk that had been drug out there to shoot up and was left. I've seen this kind of junk in many of the BLM sites I've visited over the years.

Berdoo Road is a large wash that is part of the natural water system leading to the Salton Sea (which is not natural, but is a low point that was flooded ages ago). The disruption to the hillside is from water erosion.

The discussion of rights is honestly secondary in my mind. I see that you are passionate about it and respect that. I am passionate about taking care of public lands for future generations. If you bring something that was not originally there into these spaces, please remove it when you leave.
Aside from the firearms discussion I probably come from one of the most polluted areas of the USA, the border area between USA and Mexico. Part of the trash problem lies in the fact that government agencies are charging a fee at the dumps. In my area Poor people cant afford the fees (majority Mexican but not limited to them) so they fill the deserts around the city limits with trash they cant put in the dump. Shooters don't have to bring anything, it's already there.

Because your not a shooter you're not familiar with where most shooters go to shoot. They go to firing ranges most of the time, at least the shooters I know. We are not satisfied with shooting beer cans. We shoot targets for accuracy at different distances. Yes there are shooters who go to places like the one you show but they don't bring the trash, it's already there or they wouldn't go IMO.

I have no less respect for public lands than you. OB is an org that respects that and states it loudly. I don't appreciate your blaming gun owners for trashing the public lands. I know who does most of the trashing and your not talking to one of them here. I think you have bigger problems within the cities you live in and should concentrate on your own back yard before you point fingers.

Seanm26

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lynden, WA, USA
First Name
Sean
Last Name
Moore
Member #

"The right to keep and bear arms... Shall not be infringed."

The Constitution was written in such a way as to infer that we already had the right to arms and they had no power to infringe upon it.

But governments gonna do what governments do best, and that is control and tax.

Granite Ridge Overland

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Mount Airy, NC, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
L
Member #

"The right to keep and bear arms... Shall not be infringed."

The Constitution was written in such a way as to infer that we already had the right to arms and they had no power to infringe upon it.

But governments gonna do what governments do best, and that is control and tax.
As I am a survivor of a facial gunshot wound by a man robbing a house down the road....and innocent bystander...I am Pro 2A bc it’s our Constitutional Rights as citizens! OB Member 21033

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
Aside from the firearms discussion I probably come from one of the most polluted areas of the USA, the border area between USA and Mexico. Part of the trash problem lies in the fact that government agencies are charging a fee at the dumps. In my area Poor people cant afford the fees (majority Mexican but not limited to them) so they fill the deserts around the city limits with trash they cant put in the dump. Shooters don't have to bring anything, it's already there.

Because your not a shooter you're not familiar with where most shooters go to shoot. They go to firing ranges most of the time, at least the shooters I know. We are not satisfied with shooting beer cans. We shoot targets for accuracy at different distances. Yes there are shooters who go to places like the one you show but they don't bring the trash, it's already there or they wouldn't go IMO.

I have no less respect for public lands than you. OB is an org that respects that and states it loudly. I don't appreciate your blaming gun owners for trashing the public lands. I know who does most of the trashing and your not talking to one of them here. I think you have bigger problems within the cities you live in and should concentrate on your own back yard before you point fingers.
Different areas of the country. When I was stationed in SOCAL It wasn't uncommon for folks to go shoot in the BLM and National Forrest areas in SOCAL because there's so much of it and it's easily accessible. Gun clubs and indoor ranges are restricting in what you can do (slow fire only, no holster work, square range ect) and could be pricey. So 60 minute drive to the desert where I could work on my draws, shooting from cover/non standard positions and then pull out my rifle and shoot 600+ yards with room to spare.

Every time we went out there we came back with a pickup bed full of garbage. Barely put a dent in it. Luckily it was mostly contained to areas that people had self designated as a shooting areas so outside of these shooting areas it was pretty clean but it was still an issue.

Now that I'm back in Texas it's the opposite. We have very little public land here almost none that you can shoot on, so you're kind of forced into going to designated ranges or private clubs. I pay 300 a year for access to a private club with 7 "TAC BAYS" and a 200 yard rifle range (they have a 1200 yard range you can pay extra to be a member of) where I can do all the things "square ranges" don't allow you to do. Every few months for example I pull my Jeep into one of these TAC bays and shoot from and around it.

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
"Takes bigger balls not to carry" PPPffffttttt
Ha! That is funny because all the people who bash guns and people who carry guns are ALWAYS the first to call someone with a gun (police) when they are in harms way. Jimmy Kimmel was running his head on his late night talk show about how people should not be allowed to carry guns, yet he has armed body guards he pays for protection. His guest at the time called him out on it...pretty funny. People that liberal are really not liberal at all since they pay others to do their "dirty work". It doesn't take "big balls" not to carry, it just takes takes a big wallet to pay others to do it.