Launch Member

Influencer I

Loveland, CO, USA
First Name
Casey
Last Name
Barch
Member #

Mr @Billiebob. I’m glad that you have your opinions and that you feel so safe that you dont need to carry a gun.. so when you call police for a robbery or your mower got stolen. What do they show up with? And why do they carry it? Is it for your safety or the officers?

So do you know where the least violent place should and why its not? A prison, why? People there arent allowed to have things that hurt people. Why is it not safe? Because it has violent people there that make weapons to cause harm. Why? Because they are violent and will always be violent. A Gang member knocks up his old lady...do you think that child is going to grow up violent?

Evil exists in this world because people allow it to happen by believing it doesn’t exist. Gun violence is real because people allow it to happen. Its not the gun. A gun is a tool, like a hammer which unlike a gun has killed more people. So you own a hammer right? So if you need to protect your self. You have that, I’ll sleep better knowing your safe. It is who swings that hammer... seen a guy waving a hammer cause a family alot of harm. Can you tell me why a gun is worse than a hammer? @Billiebob a police officer carries weapons to protect himself. In an active shooter situation an untrained person behind a AK can run 4 shots a second. The average police response is 2 minutes give or take. You think a trained armed good guy (not a untrained redneck with a highpoint) will wait minutes for those police officer arrives? If he engages that threat? Every shot from that ak is a life being taken or someone seriously hurt. Do you think he wants to talk? Do you that guy that is about to shoot a store clerk in front of you because her safe is time locked and the situation is escalating wants to talk? Some transients thumbing through bc sees this house off the road where your wife sleeps and child. Its getting cold starting to snow. They want to he warm at all cost. They break in and armed. I doubt they want to talk. Just because I carry a gun doesn’t mean I am out for a fight. Someone wants my wallet they can have it. Few bucks and almost maxed out credit cards fine. Go get drunk off gas station beer for a night. I don’t walk down the road say hey everyone behave I’m strapped so watch out

Calling me small balled and that I’m mostly stupid cus I carry Is like me calling some Canadians they wear flannel have big beards and say eh your a hoser eh. I am part French Canadian so I say that.

The gun isnt a pacifier nor a warm blanket. I just believe violence exists personal experience and second hand knowledge proves to me that it warrants me to carry.... I also carry medical supply’s on me as well. Also an extra pen because I am weirdo and I know it can be used for something else.

You choose not to. We choose to. You carry a jack in your rig right? Why? You might need it someday. Also hope you never do tires are expensive..

Last edited:

Outbound

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Alberta
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
H
As a Canadian, I never leave pavement without a firearm. I consider guns no different than a fire extinguisher. Just a tool I hope to never need but will be really glad to have if the worst happens.

Usually I carry a 12ga pump shotgun with a selection of shells; slug, buckshot, birdshot and flares. Sometimes I bring a Marlin 1895SBL chambered in 45/70 depending on the type of trip and time of year.

I travel extensively in grizzly and black bear country. I do my best to be bear aware and avoid confrontations but sometimes they happen. I had one black bear get ornery and act aggressive at around 30 yards after I popped out of the bush onto the gravel bar along a river. My fault and I was backing away but he was making small lunges like he was prepping to charge. A slug into the ground between us changed his mind and sent him packing. I've also had a grizzly come over a ridge who acted pretty surprised and annoyed that I was there too. Didn't fire that time, but the safety came off as I backed out.

As far as 2 legged predators are concerned I've only had problems once. We were camped in an area and some sketchy characters came by and were eyeballing our camp while talking a bit of trash before moving on. My shotgun was leaning against the camp table, but it never came into play. I didn't even mention it, never mind brandish it but I know they saw it. Found out the next day that the party down the valley was threatened, had some items stolen and were forced to leave in the middle of the night. Pretty sure the fact that I was obviously armed deterred them from trying the same with us.

That said, the fiasco this last summer with the two nutjobs killing and stealing their way across the country is all the reason I need to make sure there's a gun in camp. I will not be a victim to man nor beast if I can help it.

trikebubble

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Penticton, BC
Member #

As a Canadian, I never leave pavement without a firearm. I consider guns no different than a fire extinguisher. Just a tool I hope to never need but will be really glad to have if the worst happens.
Usually I carry a 12ga pump shotgun with a selection of shells; slug, buckshot, birdshot and flares. Sometimes I bring a Marlin 1895SBL chambered in 45/70 depending on the type of trip and time of year..
I've wanted a nice lever action for as long as I can remember. I guess it goes back to watching cowboy movies with my Father as a kid, and he always remarked on how he wished he could have a lever action. He's been gone for a few years, but this past summer I decided to follow thru on my want and get myself this Marlin Trapper. I sure do like it.

20191209_092726.jpg

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
I've wanted a nice lever action for as long as I can remember. I guess it goes back to watching cowboy movies with my Father as a kid, and he always remarked on how he wished he could have a lever action. He's been gone for a few years, but this past summer I decided to follow thru on my want and get myself this Marlin Trapper. I sure do like it.

View attachment 130329
Ohhhhhh, I want one like that too. I have a traditional 1894/ 30-30 in blue but there is nothing like stainless w/ a heavy short barrel and big big caliber like 45/90 !!! Ode to Jimmy Stewart and the movie Winchester 94 !

Reactions: trikebubble

Tommy9610

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Weirs Beach, Laconia, NH, USA
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Grant
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRFG768
For me it depends on where I am going, generally in town, I usually have a .45 cal Glock on my person at all times. However, when I am in the deep woods and quite alone that changes, at that time I wear a S&W 629 Mountain Gun in 44 mag in a chest rig. It affords easy access while fishing and driving or walking in the back country and has sufficient power to dissuade anything that I might generally encounter while still being reasonably easy to control. I often will also carry a .22 revolver in the jeep if I am in an area where I will be able to harvest small game during the legal season. Screenshot_2015-10-04-17-34-54-1-1.jpeg
Also as to the legal issues that arise from traveling with firearms, it is not that difficult if you just do your due diligence and follow the rules. Stay legal and stay out of trouble. Most states are not troubled by revolvers the way semi autos freak some out.

Last edited:

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
I typically carry a G19 or 17 for EDC. On days I work I lock the G17 in a lock box (can't carry at work but they can't stop you from having it in your vehicle) and keep a Command Arms Accessories Micro Roni G17 chassis cable locked under the seat as well. Scooped it up on discount a while back.

On trips I toss an AR in the Jeep as well. Usually between the folded down back seat and front seats and throw a couple of spare mags with range ammo in there for both rifle and pistol. If I get a chance and a good spot I may use the opportunity to do some target shooting.

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
For me it depends on where I am going, generally in town, I usually have a .45 cal Glock on my person at all times. However, when I am in the deep woods and quite alone that changes, at that time I wear a S&W 629 Mountain Gun in 44 mag in a chest rig. It affords easy access while fishing and driving or walking in the back country and has sufficient power to dissuade anything that I might generally encounter while still being reasonably easy to control. I often will also carry a .22 revolver in the jeep if I am in an area where I will be able to harvest small game during the legal season. View attachment 131811
Also as to the legal issues that arise from traveling with firearms, it is not that difficult if you just do your due diligence and follow the rules. Stay legal and stay out of trouble. Most states are not troubled by revolvers the way semi autos freak some out.
the revolver is nice because you don't have to rack the slide in a hurry (i never keep one in the pipe for safety) and there is no brass with your finger prints left behind :grinning:
love my colt anaconda

IMG_3999.JPG

Last edited:

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
the revolver is nice because you don't have to rack the slide in a hurry (i never keep one in the pipe for safety) and there is no brass with your finger prints left behind :grinning:
love my colt anaconda

View attachment 131944
Craftsmanship, something we took for granted. Also a appreciation, and pride of ownership, that is not seen in the possession of today's TUPPERWARE stamping's. They work yes, but are a tool to use, not something to treasure. A nice Python, S&W lawman etc, or your Anaconda, are property items to keep as heirlooms/family treasures. They also are easier to learn......to shoot, then most pistols, at least that is how it was for me. Low power 38 cal wad-cutters make for cheap, easy to train with, fun.

Another aspect for us ATV?UTV riders, is State laws that make it legal to walk around or drive in a vehicle, but the minute we fork a ATV/UTV, were in violation of State law. As a general rule...Oregon, not sure of UT, you have to have 3 separate actions done before the gun will fire. So for a 6 shot revolver...none under the chamber, or in the next, pull the trigger, aka 4 shot gun. Pistols are none in the chamber, have to rack the slide, pull the trigger...3 separate actions. All necessary when you fork the seat. Up until then no problemo. Something I imagine is for officer safety (game wardens?). Never have found a reason why OHV (none street legal) vehicles get this exception.

Love the COLT, saw the picture, and my first thought was MAD MAX II , and the bad guy leader, with his special boxed/cased problem solver. :grinning:

Last edited:
Reactions: grubworm

Roam_CO85

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Loveland, CO, USA
First Name
Casey
Last Name
Barch
Member #

The atv and utv stuff falls under anti poaching statutes. Here in colorado a rifle has to be cased on one ( stops the road hunting alittle too) and a side arm sense its a open carry state its legal. A snowmobile unless you have a state permit you cant have a rifle or a pistol. That falls under fish and wildlife too. Alot of it is officer safety but in this state its anti poaching. Like you can have a rifle in a vehicle with a magazine but the chamber has to be empty. Atvs think it just has to be cased where you have to dismount uncase the firearm and go from there.

DrivingTacoLoco

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Winston-Salem, NC, USA
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Weiss
Member #

The atv and utv stuff falls under anti poaching statutes. Here in colorado a rifle has to be cased on one ( stops the road hunting alittle too) and a side arm sense its a open carry state its legal. A snowmobile unless you have a state permit you cant have a rifle or a pistol. That falls under fish and wildlife too. Alot of it is officer safety but in this state its anti poaching. Like you can have a rifle in a vehicle with a magazine but the chamber has to be empty. Atvs think it just has to be cased where you have to dismount uncase the firearm and go from there.
Very confusing

Roam_CO85

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Loveland, CO, USA
First Name
Casey
Last Name
Barch
Member #

Its very confusing and changes come yearly. Colorado firearms laws arent to bad. Permit to carry a handgun concealed. Open carry one no problem. You can conceal handgun in your car with out a permit or leave it open Rifle you can have a loaded mag but nothing in the tub. Thats state law for fish and wildlife. Our red flag statute will take effect at the new year.. wish it was all across the board the same sense it is conditional and federal but each state has their own laws. That is a whole other can of worms.

Pathfinder I

Pacific Northwest
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Claggett
Service Branch
U. S. Army
Its very confusing and changes come yearly. Colorado firearms laws arent to bad. Permit to carry a handgun concealed. Open carry one no problem. You can conceal handgun in your car with out a permit or leave it open Rifle you can have a loaded mag but nothing in the tub. Thats state law for fish and wildlife. Our red flag statute will take effect at the new year.. wish it was all across the board the same sense it is conditional and federal but each state has their own laws. That is a whole other can of worms.
That would get you arrested in Orygun. Every state has different laws and it is confusing as they change every two years or so.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
That would get you arrested in Orygun. Every state has different laws and it is confusing as they change every two years or so.
All BS by the anti gun idiots. Education and mandatory training for these idiots is what should be passed as law. How can a law makers make laws about something they know nothing about ? Opinions don't count in my book without knowledge !

Tommy9610

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Weirs Beach, Laconia, NH, USA
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Grant
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRFG768
love my colt anaconda

View attachment 131944
Sad what has happened to Colt, they used to make such beautiful things.

HeliSniper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Dallas, Texas
First Name
Brad
Last Name
S
Member #

Being a Canadian, I"m glad I live in Canada. I've never felt threatened enough to think a gun would help. I've been in situations where not having a weapon diffused a bad situation. And I've honestly never heard a good story about anyone saving the day with a concealed, or open carry weapon. Heck in the UK most policemen don't carry a gun.

It takes far bigger balls to not carry than to carry.

There are thousands of stories of overlanders getting thru sticky situations with people skills, diplomacy, negotiation, personality. There is no need for a gun.... a gun only escalates a bed situation.

But I'll admit, I'm biased living in Canada.
Hahaha.... I agree with you, I'm glad you live in Canada also.....