Investor

Explorer I

New Albany, IN
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Price
Member #

I'm more apathetic toward guns than anything else. I don't think you should need to conceal them either. I like knowing who has a gun and who doesn't, but if you like to conceal that's fine too. I'm not comfortable around gun that's for sure, no more than I'm comfortable around downed power lines of flood waters. I may be one of the few members of the NRA that doesn't own a gun. I do hunt with my family's heritage weapons during the season and enjoy the experience with my kids but I never feel comfortable with guns.

Overland Omnivore

US MidWest Region Local Expert
Investor

Explorer I

New Albany, IN
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Price
Member #

We usually always have something with us when we're out and about on the trails. It's not so much the 2 legged threats that worry us around here, although it can happen, but the 4 legged and slithering types that cause us the most trouble. Pretty much got to be ready for any situation.
I've been in the wilderness for weeks at a time and run into all kinds of folks and never had a problem with anyone...I may be naive but in 30 years of back country camping, hiking, paddling, biking and wheeling I've never had an issue.

Jeepney

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

MN
I've been in the wilderness for weeks at a time and run into all kinds of folks and never had a problem with anyone...I may be naive but in 30 years of back country camping, hiking, paddling, biking and wheeling I've never had an issue.
No i don't think you're naive. I think that sums up what majority of folks experience is. But is there a point to this statement?

Reactions: OffroadTreks

Edward Gentle

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Huntsville Al
Member #

Glad you haven't had any issues. We've had to take care of a couple of snakes over the years and had one incident with a group of wild hogs. Not saying it's an everyday occurrence but it can and does happen.

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

No
Member #

Hmmm, being well versed in the use of firarms and living in Norway where use is not frowned upon but you can't
carry one in public (unless to or from a range), and having travelled to several of our planets different regions, I am quite mystified
by the fact that people go on Overland adventures, but feel the need to carry firearms for security.
So I am very curious, out of all those that have replied how many of you have carried firearms and needed to use one,
for security purposes?
Because are there that may real threats in the USA, or is it simply against potential perceived threats?
It sounds to me a bit like someone going on holiday to the Carribean and not swimming in the sea, because there are sharks.
yet statistically you are more likely to suffer a fatal accident traveling to the carribean than a fatal shark attack whilst swimming in the sea.
I keep my glock 20 nearby for the same reason I keep a hi lift jack in my truck and wear my seatbelt, etc... I've never needed to use it in that way, but just like I haven't needed to call the police to save me either, I still like that they're around. On the road or way off the road the police might not be a possible solution to a deadly threat. To me it's just another tool that I've took the time to train to use safely in the possible unfortunate event I need to use it. There's another thread about hi lift jacks and I was surprised how dangerous people that haven't taken the time to learn how to use them think that they are. For the same reason, they're probably not for everyone...

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Kcrkolby

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Morgan Hill, CA
Member #

I tend to carry my handgun while off the grid. Mostly for a sense or security but i hope i never need it. Unless i am hunting i don't have my rifles or shotguns

Reactions: Kevin108

jtranum

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Cleveland, MS
Member #

I work in the firearms and ammunition industry so my rig always has an excessive amount of guns and ammo in it. I carry a pistol to be able to fight my way back to my long gun. There's usually a suppressed sbr, or two, floating around the truck. My main carry is a glock 19 w/ surefire xc1 light.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

robrtsmtn

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Aztec, NM
Member #

old habit from when we used to run a trading post, I carry a .45acp wherever I go. never thought it an issue, just would rather have it and not use it, than not have it and need it.

Reactions: Kevin108

TreXTerra

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Salt Lake City, Utah
Member #

I'm encouraged by all the positive discussion surrounding firearms safety in this group and hope that my situation is not repeated. I never have felt the need to carry a gun but I would never tell someone else not to carry, it is your constitutional right, but for the sake of public discourse, if you were approached by someone that felt uncomfortable about your unintentional mishandling of a fire arm, what would your reaction be?....
First, I follow the 4 rules of gun safety. The only time anyone would have reason to believe a gun is being mishandled is if we are at a shooting range (official or out in the desert) and we are there for the purpose of shooting. My sidearm stays in my holster unless there is a situation where I need to draw to defend myself or I am at the range. Period. If my gun is out and aimed in your direction, it is because I believe you are a threat warranting deadly force - it also means you have the ignoble honor of being the first person I have ever aimed a weapon at in my life.

I strive to keep my firearm concealed at all times, but sometimes someone notices it printing if I'm leaning over. I have only had one person take issue with my carrying, and that was a whole story involving a cop, his wife, and trying to put pressure on me to not carry because the cop doesn't like anyone else to be armed. It had nothing to do with unsafe behavior and was entirely political.

So, to the premise of the question. If I mishandled a firearm and was called out for a mistake - good! I screwed up and deserve to be called out so that I pay more attention in the future. I have been on the other side of this conversation more times that I want to recall when people are being blatantly stupid, including having loaded firearms pointed at me, people handling firearms during a cease fire, setting up their firing line with others down range, and numerous other examples of stupidity. I don't hesitate to call people out on dangerous behavior and if I have done something dangerous then I deserve no less.

Yetisb

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

CA-South OC
Member #

CCW= Glock26 or S&W Shield 9mm
Open carry when in the back county in AK is Glock20 with Marlin 45-70 guide rifle

Most recent impulse firearm buy was FNH five seven. Interesting gun, still getting acquainted with it.

John D.

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

porterville, ca
First Name
John
Last Name
Duffy
Member #

Reactions: Chadlyb and Yetisb