• HTML tutorial

vegasjeepguy

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Gravette, AR, USA
Member #

Nice. What rack is that?
It is a Big Sky overhead gun rack from Cabelas. I was a little concerned drilling through my Jeep hard top, but it has been very secure with no issues. It is actually very difficult to see a rifle in the rack unless you are looking directly into the vehicle so it doesn’t draw attention. Looks like Cabelas is only carrying the the two gun rack, but Amazon has the one gun rack

Reactions: Quicksilver

Inthewoods

Local Expert Central CA
Investor

Trail Blazer III

Visalia, CA, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Garcia
Member #

Oh yeah, every day for protection. I don't want you to find me face down and bare end up and a bear walking away. That's a sign things didn't go good.
Learn the law and take classes to be trained and a responsible carrier that way you are always ready and show others that this is not the wild west. Your an educate and prepared individual.

mark_themachinst_guy

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Long Island, New York
Member #

I'd carry a pistol on me everyday if I had a choice, especially in times like this. However, NY state isn't friendly when it comes to gun owners. Applying for a pistol permit takes forever, if I apply for a permit today, I won't see it for another 9 months. It's something I need to do but I keep putting off.

Inthewoods

Local Expert Central CA
Investor

Trail Blazer III

Visalia, CA, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Garcia
Member #

Mark_themachinst_guy don't feel bad. Here in CA you can have firearm on you BUT if I'm correct, it can't have one in the chamber, safety on and you almost have to ask permission from the suspect to wait while you load and if its OK to shoot first. Criminals have more rights here. I been all over NY and its beautiful except that stop on the east side ( NY city).

Reactions: JzzR83

mark_themachinst_guy

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Long Island, New York
Member #

Mark_themachinst_guy don't feel bad. Here in CA you can have firearm on you BUT if I'm correct, it can't have one in the chamber, safety on and you almost have to ask permission from the suspect to wait while you load and if its OK to shoot first. Criminals have more rights here. I been all over NY and its beautiful except that stop on the east side ( NY city).
Well, I’m just past that stop on the east side. I live on Long Island. I’d love to travel upstate NY more but just getting past the city is a nightmare in itself.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Overland USA

Rank VII
Launch Member

Steward I

Rolling Meadows, IL
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Bogan
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRJC877
Hi Everyone, I was wondering if you guys ever carry legal weapons out on the trail or while camping.
Some may bring rifles for hunting, some may bring handguns for personal protection, some may not even bring any weapons along on their trips. Many feel it ruins the spirit of the trip.

What are your feelings towards this subject?
I can totally understand if you do carry, why you wouldn't want to advertise. But hey, there's a whole lotta crazy out there, and a lot of it is out in the sticks. So, I'm curious on what you guys thoughts are.
It's an interesting question and I wonder if you're traveling with a group should they let you know if they have a weapon. Personally I would appreciate knowing who is carrying and who is not.

Overland USA

Rank VII
Launch Member

Steward I

Rolling Meadows, IL
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Bogan
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRJC877
NY State has some of the strictest handgun laws in the country. Don't get caught with a handgun if you don't have a NY Permit. NYC is a whole other subject.

Edward Gentle

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Huntsville Al
Member #

Since the world is as the original post stated: Full of crazies......I personally would prefer to know. Also compliance with the law is every citizens business. That being said thank you for your opinion.
I understand you stating you'd like to know, but as long as I'm perfectly legal to have a weapon with me why do I necessarily need to let anyone else know? If I'm legal undoubtably I'm not, as you say, a crazy.

I've been legal to carry a firearm for more than 35 years and I've never felt the need to let anyone else know. If there are crazies around I want them to be as surprised and everyone else.

The Traveling Shepherd

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Michigan
Member #

Since the world is as the original post stated: Full of crazies......I personally would prefer to know. Also compliance with the law is every citizens business. That being said thank you for your opinion.
I'm not sure what"law" you speak of but it's no ones right to know, neither is anyone under any obligation to let anyone know if they have a firearm either on them or in their vehicle.
Unless you're LE, you're not entitled to make sure anyone is "complying with the law" but it is your right to contact LE of you think someone is breaking the law.

theBROFESSOR

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Conway, Arkansas
Member #

Fortunately for me as a police officer I don't have to have a permit except for just a few National Parks (mainly in DC). So I never leave the house with out one. Personal protection or fun or whatever, you never know who or what you might encounter these days. Take out the animals and consider the outlaws and hilbillys you always need personal protection. But use common sense and abide by the law. It is always better that way.

Reactions: Winterpeg

Inthewoods

Local Expert Central CA
Investor

Trail Blazer III

Visalia, CA, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Garcia
Member #

Not only do I not tell anyone that Miss Jones (S&W) and I take long walks together, but I don't support places that don't care about my rights. I support VETS, our men and women in the military, our constitution. Oh and a good pizza. Lol.
Do you guys feel safer in the wood then in town, like I do?

DVC

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Hackettstown, NJ
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
R
Member #

I envy all you guys in states where concealed or open carry is available to the law-abiding public. I'm in NJ, so even though I'm a certified firearms instructor and multi-division Master class competition shooter... I'm not allowed to carry in my home state, or even transport a firearm in the truck (except directly to/from a range or gunsmith, basically). Don't get me started... : /

But being that I have non-resident carry permits from other states, at least I do still have some options for carry/travel with firearms when I'm outside of the NJ/NY area. To that end, the Ramboxes on my Rebel have interesting options...

Last edited:

motorpig60

Rank III
Launch Member

Traveler I

Mason, OH
Member #

On motorcycle trips, I always have my Glock 19 on me. In the truck, I also carry my 8" .300 BLK folding pistol or, less often, my SCAR 16 10.5" rifle.

Reactions: Craig M